NYC Downlow - Sapphic Glastonbury spaces

Lushroom

26 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

From what I've read, NYC Downlow is inclusive to anyone that wants to come party, but it definitely seems like a masc leaning space by design. Just wondering if there are any must-go spots for the sapphic ladies of glasto? 

Hi @Lushroom 

There’s a women only venue in Shangri La called Sistxrhood.  I’ve no idea how sapphic it is as I’m male but it’s exclusively for women, non binary and trans 😀

https://www.nme.com/festivals/glastonbury/heres-happens-sistxrhood-glastonburys-women-crucial-venue-2519963

25 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Not explicitly I don't think ,I do think there's definitely demand for more queer centred music venues. That scene has I think grown even larger one the last few years. 

Wilderness had a little queer tent and one of their first announcements was that it was coming back even bigger.

Hadn't actually heard of Wilderness, looks good though - and the guilty feminist is there which is a great podcast, that's how I first heard of Grace Petrie who is playing Avalon this year.

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hi @Lushroom 

There’s a women only venue in Shangri La called Sistxrhood.  I’ve no idea how sapphic it is as I’m male but it’s exclusively for women, non binary and trans 😀

https://www.nme.com/festivals/glastonbury/heres-happens-sistxrhood-glastonburys-women-crucial-venue-251996

Hey stuie 🙂

Cheers, just gave that a read.

Can definitely understand why some people don't like the idea that not everyone is allowed in, but at the same time it sounds so relaxing to have a place where you're not on edge..have seen and experienced some pretty horrid shit at festivals. A bit torn.

Will definitely add it to my ever-growing list of things I have to check out though, thanks!

55 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Not explicitly I don't think ,I do think there's definitely demand for more queer centred music venues. That scene has I think grown even larger one the last few years. 

Wilderness had a little queer tent and one of their first announcements was that it was coming back even bigger.

My queer pals and I really enjoyed that venue at Wilderness. Definitely needs a bigger space though so I'm glad to see it happening

1 hour ago, Lushroom said:

Hey stuie 🙂

Cheers, just gave that a read.

Can definitely understand why some people don't like the idea that not everyone is allowed in, but at the same time it sounds so relaxing to have a place where you're not on edge..have seen and experienced some pretty horrid shit at festivals. A bit torn.

Will definitely add it to my ever-growing list of things I have to check out though, thanks!

I’ve never been into exclusively gay spaces, in general life or at festivals but I absolutely understand why they exist. 

I hope you have a great festival and find places where you feel comfortable. Update us afterwards, so the information is out there for others who are looking for the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Hi @Lushroom 

https://www.nme.com/festivals/glastonbury/heres-happens-sistxrhood-glastonburys-women-crucial-venue-2519963

Oh I forgot about that! We walked past and they did seem to have women only security in the door as well. 

44 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Oh I forgot about that! We walked past and they did seem to have women only security in the door as well. 

Definitely had male security at some points as I knew one of the guys doing security on the Friday and Saturday nights, stopped to chat to him for a fair while. 

Oh gosh, Chicken Bob, that is so side-splittingly hilarious and original, I assume the Eaviseseses have already got in touch about your caberet slot.

Anyway. That leads nicely onto my other question, any places to avoid like the plague? Obviously this creep ^ but I also maybe read some iffy goings-on in the queue to the piano bar?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lushroom said:

Oh gosh, Chicken Bob, that is so side-splittingly hilarious and original, I assume the Eaviseseses have already got in touch about your caberet slot.

Anyway. That leads nicely onto my other question, any places to avoid like the plague? Obviously this creep ^ but I also maybe read some iffy goings-on in the queue to the piano bar?

Ignore Bob. He’s just a troll who lives under a bridge somewhere and gets no attention from anyone. 

I’m not aware of anywhere that you should avoid as such but there are places where you’ll feel the crowd isn’t quite on your wavelength and you can move on. 

You may also wish to check out Lost Horizons for relaxed vibes. 

My girlfriend & a friend she was with checked out Sistxrhood in 2019, for about 20 mins or so.

They got vetted at the entrance by a female bouncer deciding wether or not to let you in. They said was a fun lil club, the DJ at the time was only playing female artists songs(wouldn't know if this was the case all weekend, remember the line-up was female only). They mentioned that the biggest difference was that not a lot of tops were on, a lot of female freedom bouncing around. 😉 

12 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

They mentioned that the biggest difference was that not a lot of tops were on, a lot of female freedom bouncing around. 😉 

Some girls we were camped/working with in 2017 went in for a bit, they also commented on this

13 hours ago, stuie said:

Ignore Bob. He’s just a troll who lives under a bridge somewhere and gets no attention from anyone. 

I’m not aware of anywhere that you should avoid as such but there are places where you’ll feel the crowd isn’t quite on your wavelength and you can move on. 

You may also wish to check out Lost Horizons for relaxed vibes. 

I was actually going to check out the Lost Horizon place in Bristol soon, to feed more into my excitement! I checked out their website for Glastonbury, but it seems like you have to pay to get into that area? It sounds lush, but I'm a bit worried about paying to get into somewhere and then feeling like I *have* to stay because of that.

11 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

@Lushroom I avoid the Beat Hotel as that has vibes that dont gel for me. Other areas that can be obviously more feminist orientated include the Leftfield. The Piano Bar generally a lot of people can't be assed with. 

I think Beat Hotel is gone this year, so fingers crossed the new place has better vibes 🙂

9 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

My girlfriend & a friend she was with checked out Sistxrhood in 2019, for about 20 mins or so.

They got vetted at the entrance by a female bouncer deciding wether or not to let you in. They said was a fun lil club, the DJ at the time was only playing female artists songs(wouldn't know if this was the case all weekend, remember the line-up was female only). They mentioned that the biggest difference was that not a lot of tops were on, a lot of female freedom bouncing around. 😉 

That sounds great, my partner has been trying to manage my expectations about what Glastonbury is going to be like.. "it's not the free love hippie fest you are dreaming of..if you take your top off people will stare and probably post it on Instagram."

Will definitely have to check Sistxrhood out and have full freedom!

12 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

That sounds great, my partner has been trying to manage my expectations about what Glastonbury is going to be like.. "it's not the free love hippie fest you are dreaming of..if you take your top off people will stare and probably post it on Instagram."

For that vibe, you should check out Noisily. It’s a small, tribal, hippie, anything goes gathering. Truly beautiful. 

https://noisilyfestival.com

19 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

FYI Lost Horizon in Bristol is a music venue.

Lost Horizon at Glasto is the Sauna garden. The money buys you sauna, showers, sunbathing, sunshine etc.

Not affiliated, just the same name. 

Oh that is very confusing, Lost Horizon HQ in Briz is heavily advertised as being affiliated with glastonbury and run by the same people that run Shangri-la, so they are completely separate?

20 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

Oh that is very confusing, Lost Horizon HQ in Briz is heavily advertised as being affiliated with glastonbury and run by the same people that run Shangri-la, so they are completely separate?

Yep, different entities.

This is the sauna:

https://losthorizon.org.uk/

There is a user on here affiliated to them but I can't remember their name (sorry)!

13 minutes ago, Lushroom said:

I don’t know the link between the Bristol venue and the Glastonbury area but we visited Lost Horizons in 2019 and loved it. It’s really chilled out, has its own stage and if your partner is worried about whipping their top off and ending up on instagram, then that’s not going to happen there. 
At least half the people in there (probably more) are either fully or semi naked and it’s just an oasis of calm. Showers included too which was a life saver in the heat of 2019. The staff will be more than happy to let you have a quick nosey around before you commit to buying a wristband. 
Thoroughly recommended. 

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

I don’t know the link between the Bristol venue and the Glastonbury area but we visited Lost Horizons in 2019 and loved it. It’s really chilled out, has its own stage and if your partner is worried about whipping their top off and ending up on instagram, then that’s not going to happen there. 
At least half the people in there (probably more) are either fully or semi naked and it’s just an oasis of calm. Showers included too which was a life saver in the heat of 2019. The staff will be more than happy to let you have a quick nosey around before you commit to buying a wristband. 
Thoroughly recommended. 

My partner is male so fortunately for them they're allowed to whip their top off whenever they fancy really.

I'll definitely at least make my way to the desk and see how I feel.

Just apprehensive about paying - especially during my first ever Glastonbury, so many things to see, and I might never get a ticket again! Would feel obligated to spend hours there really.

Unless the stage bit is separate? I found it a bit unclear to be honest.

7 hours ago, Lushroom said:

My partner is male so fortunately for them they're allowed to whip their top off whenever they fancy really.

I'll definitely at least make my way to the desk and see how I feel.

Just apprehensive about paying - especially during my first ever Glastonbury, so many things to see, and I might never get a ticket again! Would feel obligated to spend hours there really.

Unless the stage bit is separate? I found it a bit unclear to be honest.

The stage is within the paid-for area. 
Have fun at your first Glastonbury, there’s so much to see and do there, hopefully you’ll fall in love with the place!

Maybe keep Lost Horizons in mind if you ever get to the point where you’re a bit overwhelmed with it all (it happens!) and just need a break from the madness and crowds.