Wellies, walking boots or trainers???????

Becx99

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This year may be a bit wetter than 2017.  Even though there were a couple of showers in 2017 it was largely a 'dry year'.

I must’ve been totally blinded by the insane temperatures we arrived to on the Wednesday as I don’t remember it raining at all that weekend.

Walking boots and a pair of old worn in trainers for me this year, although got a feeling I’m unfortunately gonna be in the walking boots more than I’d like (i.e. at all).

1 hour ago, The Other Steve said:

I did wellies in 2008 and I can't stand them, uncomfortable and slip out in the mid.  I've got walking shoes and some backup walking boots if needed but hopefully just wear the walking shoes all festival.

The absolute state of my feet after wearing cheap wellies one year. Blisters on top of blisters. Toes were an absolute mess, just flaps of skin hanging off everywhere. Never again.

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

The absolute state of my feet after wearing cheap wellies one year. Blisters on top of blisters. Toes were an absolute mess, just flaps of skin hanging off everywhere. Never again.

Me too - exactly the same happened to me on the Thursday and messed my feet up for full weekend.  Never, ever again!

Need to find that festival footcare thread again but got some great advice about taping your feet up. I’ve been doing some long hikes while wearing my work boots and was getting some serious blisters. Bit of tape around your feet and no blister issues. 

At this stage all the forecasts are pointing to a dry and warm start to the festival and it's looking unlikely that there will be any proper rain through til at least Friday. I can cope with the prospect of potentially wrecking my trainers on Saturday and Sunday if I can avoid the dreaded wellies. 

I’d also vote for Hi-Tec. Comfiest boots I’ve had and on my second pair after the first ones died.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not much time left to break in a new pair though.....

But this is your problem. I’d only ever take well worn footwear to the fest. Did well over 100,000 steps in 2019 and that was a low mileage year with the heat.

30 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I must’ve been totally blinded by the insane temperatures we arrived to on the Wednesday as I don’t remember it raining at all that weekend

Rained for an hour or so at about 1 am Friday(?) night and a little bit of dampness one of the mornings, and that was it

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Need to find that festival footcare thread again but got some great advice about taping your feet up. I’ve been doing some long hikes while wearing my work boots and was getting some serious blisters. Bit of tape around your feet and no blister issues. 

That thread was very useful, esp @jimmillen's long post. But you can't find it now, because our wise mod deleted the whole thing for "trolling".

• Like 1

I don't think it is going to be wet enough for wellies. The ground is still rock hard and more drying on the first two days. In 2019 i made the mistake of reading too much into the forecast the week before and missed the part of it being scorcio a few days before. My heels were already cracking up and i hadn't worn in my brand new walking boots which i thought would carry me through whatever the weather. I only took sandles for around the tent. Bad move as the new walking shoes gave me blisters and made my heels worse. So bad i resorted to walking around the site in sandles looking to see if any stalls sold trainers!! Not making that mistake again. Heels are better now, talking work in Karibor walking boots/ shoes and trainers. Also bought recommended tape for feet.

Edited by ghandi

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I’d also vote for Hi-Tec. Comfiest boots I’ve had and on my second pair after the first ones died.

But this is your problem. I’d only ever take well worn footwear to the fest. Did well over 100,000 steps in 2019 and that was a low mileage year with the heat.

Back when I was a lad this was a brand that you'd get the piss taken out of you for wearing at school, but I've got a pair of Hi-Tec walking boots that have done half a dozen festivals in fine form.  Decent comfort, waterproof and rugged.  Highly recommended from me.

So I have got MOAB shoes not boots, I can waterproof them today, but I genuinely don't know whether to go to Decathlon and get some wellies. I don't mind wearing them (2016), and I am thinking of leaving them in the car and returning them next week if they don't get used.