Wellies, walking boots or trainers???????

Becx99

Whatever people choose to wear....don't be that person spending ages hogging the taps washing your wellies/boots, only to put them back on and get them covered in mud again 15 seconds later!!! (not that it'll be a problem this year, its going to be dry)

Edited by prestonmike
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, prestonmike said:

Whatever people choose to wear....don't be that person spending ages hogging the taps washing your wellies/boots, only to put them back on and get them covered in mud again 15 seconds later!!! (not that it'll be a problem this year, its going to be dry)

... and making it more muddy around the taps obviously 🙄

I changed from wellies to walking boots a while ago now. Best move ever. A good pair of boots is like walking in slippers. I also have a £10 pair of gaiters from Go Outdoors. To add to the walking boots when it’s really bad. Again, Best Buy ever. No more wellie rash or destroyed feet come Monday 😃😃😃

1 hour ago, deardo said:

I changed from wellies to walking boots a while ago now. Best move ever. A good pair of boots is like walking in slippers. I also have a £10 pair of gaiters from Go Outdoors. To add to the walking boots when it’s really bad. Again, Best Buy ever. No more wellie rash or destroyed feet come Monday 😃😃😃

Agree. If it gets bad (which it won’t) waterproof boots, gaiters and waterproof trousers. 

19 minutes ago, tarw said:

Lots of people changing from wellies to boots and not regretting it. 
Is there anyone who changed from boots to wellies and thought these are the way forward?

Only person I know who regretted boots at a festival was my pal who bought a brand new pair the week of Latitude, and didn’t wear them in. She ended up barely able to walk, and Latitude is only a fraction of the size of Glastonbury.

My advice is if you’re thinking of changing to boots you need to get them now and you need to have them on your feet every day between now and the festival. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kizzie said:

Neil's wellies 2007

Never forget the gaffa tape kids

FB_IMG_1654017655326.jpg

when you just can't get the wellies off fast enough. 🙂 

Edited by Neil

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Was he having trouble getting them off and someone had a Stanley knife ? 

Exactly that, we spent most of the weekend gaffer taping them up.

Actually looked quite stylish 😎 

4 hours ago, prestonmike said:

Thankfully that seems to be not the thing it once was.  Seriously fucked me off in 2011 to see people just adding to the water onsite by running a standpipe onto their boots.  Like you say, as soon as they walk away they are going to get muddy.

2016 I never saw a single example of this behaviour, but I swear in 2011 every tap had a middle aged couple dressed like they were going to the office washing their wellies.  My solution to this was to get really drunk and shouty (which in fairness has often been a solution I've turned to in life).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lesley2337 said:

Any good websites to buy good walking socks from? 

I've found Karrimor lightweight walking socks from sports direct surprisingly comfortable and good value. They have merino wool which cushions your feet and wicks moisture away 

10 hours ago, tarw said:

Lots of people changing from wellies to boots and not regretting it. 
Is there anyone who changed from boots to wellies and thought these are the way forward?

Yes, me! I absolutely hated wearing boots! They aren't tall enough to wade through ankle deep mud and the pain of undoing sopping wet muddy laces every night was unbearable,  even worse putting them on in the morning.  Heaven help you if you needed to get up for the loo in the middle of the night.

Wellies for me were an absolute game changer, no gross laces to deal with and the best thing was being able to bypass the crowds shuffling along the slightly more walkable paths with shallow sticky mud, and wading through the deeper liquid mud most people were trying to avoid.

7 hours ago, dizzymoo said:

I've found Karrimor lightweight walking socks from sports direct surprisingly comfortable and good value. They have merino wool which cushions your feet and wicks moisture away 

Thank you. 

I was actually looking at these yesterday! 

1 hour ago, Wurzelcat said:

Yes, me! I absolutely hated wearing boots! They aren't tall enough to wade through ankle deep mud and the pain of undoing sopping wet muddy laces every night was unbearable,  even worse putting them on in the morning.  Heaven help you if you needed to get up for the loo in the middle of the night.

Wellies for me were an absolute game changer, no gross laces to deal with and the best thing was being able to bypass the crowds shuffling along the slightly more walkable paths with shallow sticky mud, and wading through the deeper liquid mud most people were trying to avoid.

This for the win.

I've got the older version of these:

Unisex Muck Boots Dark Green Edgewater II Tall Boots (muckbootcompany.co.uk)

Bought them in a sale around 8 years ago and they're great.  I regularly do 5-6 mile walks with the dog in them through the winter and they are so comfy.  Proper padded insole, not overly sweaty.  Bit pricey but absolutely worth every penny.  Not all wellies are created equal.

17 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Still going to be wellies and trainers for me. If it gets too wet for trainers then we’re heading into Welly territory. My trainers can handle a bit of wet. 

Even if it’s forecast to be sunny I’ll still have my wellies on standby. That one year I didn’t take them still haunts me. 

This is me too. Just can't stomach wearing walking boots. Maybe PTSD from doing Ten Tors aged 16 in a pair which were half a size too small. 

On 6/1/2022 at 1:30 AM, dizzymoo said:

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but in a knee high welly version. Karrimor doesn't seem to have them, but can anyone recommend some? I have some really thick ones I've been using for years and could use them again, but they're a bit hot. I could really do with something more breathable, but that will still protect my heels.

Far too many to sort through online so recommendations would be most welcome!