Wellies, walking boots or trainers???????

Becx99

8 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

Always bring wellies. If you do not bring wellies you anger the weather gods… then continue to wear trainers as weather gods appeased and festival lovely and dry 😂

(I do religiously bring mine, hoping not to need them)

Hmmm, didn’t work for me in 2016… took wellies and we all know what happened that year. 😬

But back to the topic - @Brave Sir Robin already shared my lengthy previous post. TL:DR: walking boots if wet, walking shoes if dry. Never ever sandals or flip flops. 😉

20 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Hmmm, didn’t work for me in 2016… took wellies and we all know what happened that year. 😬

I am trying to forget it 😉 (please don’t be a 2016 or worse this year) 

I blame it on the wellie-less people. 

Light walking shoes/sturdy trainers if weather allows, flip flops at hand for scorchers and a dip at the dragon. 

49 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

Always bring wellies. If you do not bring wellies you anger the weather gods… then continue to wear trainers as weather gods appeased and festival lovely and dry 😂

(I do religiously bring mine, hoping not to need them)

I was gearing up for a mudbath in 2017 so I painted my wellies and added lights to them and look what happened that year. 

In the years that I'm driving down I'll bring wellies, boots and trainers, and take 2 of the 3 into the festival with me depending on the weather / ground conditions.

This year I'm on the coach so I'm planning on only taking boots (with seelskinz socks) and trainers.  

If the weather in the build up is horrendous and there's rain forecasted over the festival, I'll probably take wellies and boots.

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I was gearing up for a mudbath in 2017 so I painted my wellies and added lights to them and look what happened that year. 

Thank you for your sacrifice to the weather gods.  I think I may do the same to ward off any rain

1 hour ago, incident said:

I've been to every muddy Glastonbury in the last 20 years, and have yet to come across a situation where appropriate boots wouldn't cope and wellies would be necessary. I guess you could make a case for 205 if you needed to actually wade through the floods, but even that was very localised (and so avoidable), and would only apply on the Friday.

2007 was far less stressful for me when I switched from boots to wellies. Also 1998, but those kind of conditions are history now with all the drainage work that's been done.

48 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

I am trying to forget it 😉 (please don’t be a 2016 or worse this year) 

I blame it on the wellie-less people. 

Light walking shoes/sturdy trainers if weather allows, flip flops at hand for scorchers and a dip at the dragon. 

I have never worn wellies not even in 2016. I have awkward feet and have never found a comfy pair but my walking boots coped just fine with 2016. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I have never worn wellies not even in 2016. I have awkward feet and have never found a comfy pair but my walking boots coped just fine with 2016. 

2016 was definitely boot conditions. It was very muddy, but not all that wet - at least not compared to festivals where most of the problems are from rain during the festival, rather than beforehand.

Don't want to worry anyone, but statistically speaking, we're probably due a rainy festival. 😧

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2016 was definitely boot conditions. It was very muddy, but not all that wet - at least not compared to festivals where most of the problems are from rain during the festival, rather than beforehand.

Don't want to worry anyone, but statistically speaking, we're probably due a rainy festival. 😧

Mark Twain said it best 3 types of lies. Lies, damned lies and statistics!!  NFR NFC

• 1 month later...

I was looking for another really helpful footwear thread but couldn't find it 

Does anyone have any suggestions for walking socks to go with boots? 

I'm quite prone to blisters, and last time, I did 2 layers (one thick and one really thin) off the recommendation of someone on here I think. 

Still a good idea? 

3 minutes ago, Lesley2337 said:

I was looking for another really helpful footwear thread but couldn't find it 

Does anyone have any suggestions for walking socks to go with boots? 

I'm quite prone to blisters, and last time, I did 2 layers (one thick and one really thin) off the recommendation of someone on here I think. 

Still a good idea? 

Yes absolutely 2 pairs is a must … I’ve not had a blister yet … despite some of the time wearing wellies … give your feet an opportunity to breathe where you can too 

On 4/13/2022 at 2:19 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

The yearly wellies or walking boots debates are pointless when some people can spend the week in wellies with absolutely zero foot problems and others can't.  You might as well debate which shoe size is best.

11 obviously 

I was convinced to buy double socks at the DM store the last time I bought a pair. I have to say it did its magic (yes I could have just used two pairs of socks). Couldn't wear them at first without the doubles. 

I've been testing my stock of sporty/walky socks in the past few days and at the end, no big surprise, the fancy ones with a good thick coverage of the parts that rub + wool are just perfect. I had socks advertised for "light walks"" and they were crap even if expensive. "Medium walks" was just right. 

On 4/13/2022 at 1:24 PM, t0paz said:

Wellies are a last resort. Don’t think I used them in 2016 as boots were fine. And more comfortable!

On 4/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, incident said:

I've been to every muddy Glastonbury in the last 20 years, and have yet to come across a situation where appropriate boots wouldn't cope and wellies would be necessary. I guess you could make a case for 205 if you needed to actually wade through the floods, but even that was very localised (and so avoidable), and would only apply on the Friday.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:49 PM, cheesey_toastie said:

Been to some of the most horrendous ones. 

Walking boots all the way - and a pair of trainers for if it's nice. Wear the boots for the journey because they are heavy. Trainers in the bag. 

Wellies rub, smell and require football socks.

I think you are all mental.  I went 2013 with just my (waterproof) hiking boots and no wellies.  Huge mistake.  Parts of the site were above ankle deep in slurry which just came over the top of the boot and waterlogged them from the inside, then they weighed a tonne and gave me blisters.  This led me to buying some MuckBoots, which I've had ever since and are great.  Properly waterproof, cover above my calves so depth of mud is not and issue and they are if anything more comfortable than my hiking boots.

My advice - wellies, but decent wellies.  Not hard plastic Dunlops which will be murder after a day.  And trainers/sliders as appropriate.

Could always just go native and barefoot in the mud. I've considered it but then the thought of getting back to the tent when you're spent and having to wash your feet to go to bed puts me off.

I've never worn wellies, not even in the wettest of years, a good pair of waterproof walking boots have always got me through. Ive never found a pair of comfortable wellies so would rather have wet/muddy ankles but comfy feet than clean ankles and blistered feet

Also take a pair of walking shoes for if its dry rather than trainers