Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

50 minutes ago, SamBuca said:

They are screeching and wailing for the rights of unborn babies not to be pulled apart with medical instruments - what's not to like? They are fighting for life, not death.

Some states may ban abortion, some states will keep definitely keep abortion.

Then maybe some states should push for compulsory abortion. Then we'd have balance.

Imagine if when you were having your kids, someone came along and said "the law has changed, twins are banned now, we're going to forcibly abort them".

Imagine having no choice, imagine having to do that just because the state said so.

Because that's exactly how women being told they have to carry children to term against their will feel.

You might not understand that. You might not think it's logical. Your own views on when life starts and religion and what is sacred might figure in to how you feel. But others have different views and feelings. And if you want to understand why emotions run so high on this it's because that's how it feels to some women.

I'm not going to deny you your right to have and state your opinion. You're entitled to it just like anyone else. I just want you to understand that when you tell some women they are not allowed an abortion, it feels to them like it would if you were told you weren't allowed to have your kids. It's truly that horrific and upsetting. Just try to have that in mind when having the conversation.

• Upvote 2

On 6/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, K2SO said:

There's another little potentially controversial opinion though... I think there should be more tribute bands playing. We already have The Bootleg Beatles and Elvana... why not get some more in for Wednesday/Thursday/After-hours entertainment? Get some tributes for the likes of The Stones, Queen, Oasis, Madness, etc. I think it would go down well

Or some wedding/bar bands! A tent with a really good live band banging out hits from whenever... I don't get why hugely talented musicians that can cover a wide variety of styles and can play 100s of different songs are not "proper" enough for Glastonbury, while people who play songs from a CD/record have entire areas dedicated to them....

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

okay - correct...

Let a couple of females give you some advice instead 🙂 

Thanks Barry.

I was walking to work this morning, listening to Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, (excellently read by Richard Armitage by the way) delivering me pearls of wisdom such as

"Your soul takes on the colour of your thoughts"

or

"The only thing that isn’t worthless: to live this life out truthfully and rightly. And be patient with those who don’t"

I suppose I've been looking in the wrong places for wisdom and should seek insight from cultural lyricists, Allen and Rodrigo.

"Fuck you. Fuck you very very mu - uh -uch"

🤔

I'll clear my bookshelves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Saw plenty of people shifting around uncomfortably during Zelensky's address. As far as I'm concerned anyone who didn't have at least a "hmm this doesn't feel right" reaction needs to do some serious moral introspection. 

I was looking round at other people expecting similar bafflement, it was utterly bizarre and really out of touch.

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Or some wedding/bar bands! A tent with a really good live band banging out hits from whenever... I don't get why hugely talented musicians that can cover a wide variety of styles and can play 100s of different songs are not "proper" enough for Glastonbury, while people who play songs from a CD/record have entire areas dedicated to them....

I'd be all over this!

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Also, when did Zelinsky (spelling?) turn up? I completely missed that

He was on the screens before libertines (and I assume was shown on the pyramid too).

My initial reaction was "doesn't he have anything better to do at the mo?", but I wasn't really paying attention and didn't realise he was asking for money for weapons. That doesn't seem very Glasto.

1 hour ago, SamBuca said:

Thanks for your opinion Barry. I'm assuming you are a male and I'm glad you feel able to express it. 

I'm of the opinion that abortions should be safe, legal and rare. Rape incest and protecting the life of the mother are my exceptions, although there are some amazing souls out there who are the 'product' of rape, living amazing lives who would beg to differ. Rape is cited as a reason for abortion in around 1% of cases. some statistics have it as low as 0.5%

So on that basis you disagree with the States which forbid all exceptions and you can understand why the 1.5% would feel oppressed by this decision? 

(1% of women obtain an abortion because they became pregnant through rape, and 0.5% do so because of incest, according to the Guttmacher Institute) 

Edited by clarkete

8 minutes ago, Simsy said:

He was on the screens before libertines (and I assume was shown on the pyramid too).

My initial reaction was "doesn't he have anything better to do at the mo?", but I wasn't really paying attention and didn't realise he was asking for money for weapons. That doesn't seem very Glasto.

That explains it, I went to watch Halloweens on WG at that point.

Very odd indeed though, seeing as how anti-war the festival is supposed to be... You'd get it if it was an appeal for supplies to help displaced families, etc... But for weapons!?

15 minutes ago, clarkete said:

So on that basis you disagree with the States which forbid all exceptions and you can understand why the 1.5% would feel oppressed by this decision? 

(1% of women obtain an abortion because they became pregnant through rape, and 0.5% do so because of incest, according to the Guttmacher Institute) 

My position is yes - I disagree with these states.

Let's assume the 630,000 abortions reported to the CDC in 2019 is the actual number. That's around 9450 women who (may) need access to abortion as a result of rape/incest.

If these women are spread evenly across the 52 states and that there are 13 states which have currently banned without exception.

That's 2362 women who won't be able to get an abortion in their state due to rape/incest.

(PS, those Guttmacher Institute figures are thought to be over-inflated by a factor of 3, potentially reducing this number to 787.)

Regardless of the accuracy of these figures, I support these women.

The one's who account for the other > 620,000 , not so much.

2 hours ago, SamBuca said:

My position is yes - I disagree with these states.

Let's assume the 630,000 abortions reported to the CDC in 2019 is the actual number. That's around 9450 women who (may) need access to abortion as a result of rape/incest.

If these women are spread evenly across the 52 states and that there are 13 states which have currently banned without exception.

That's 2362 women who won't be able to get an abortion in their state due to rape/incest.

(PS, those Guttmacher Institute figures are thought to be over-inflated by a factor of 3, potentially reducing this number to 787.)

Regardless of the accuracy of these figures, I support these women.

The one's who account for the other > 620,000 , not so much.

I support any woman’s right to have an abortion for whatever reason she wants. Let me tell you from direct experience being an unwanted child and having a mother who didn’t want to do the job is no picnic. It seems most pro-life people only care until the baby is born and after that the unwanted children are on their own! 

Especially in a country with no automatic healthcare provision during pregnancy, no maternity leave provision, terrible sex education in the first place. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Agree. Feel a bit bad for it tbh. Had a nice chat with a nice Greenpeace worker trying to sign me up and whilst I do like that there's an activism element to Glasto, i told her that i really care to the point it causes me anxiety in day to day life, but that for 5 days a year i want to escape all of it.

Ugh, I was dodging green tshirts all weekend (the trick is to tell them you already signed up but took the wristband off because it was bothering you).

I have worked with charities abroad alongside people who were working for Greenpeace, and I came to the conclusion…they aren’t an amazing charity. There are much better smaller charities out there. We have so much shit rammed down our throats all year round, it’s absolutely fine to want to avoid the same at Glasto. 

Not so much controversial but drugs and kids. Saw a group of mums and dads sniffing keys with prams and little kids running around by the other stage. I'm all for a little indulgence but surely there comes a time when you have to lay off it for certain reasons? The mum looked right worse for wear.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SamBuca said:

Thanks Barry.

I was walking to work this morning, listening to Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, (excellently read by Richard Armitage by the way) delivering me pearls of wisdom such as

"Your soul takes on the colour of your thoughts"

or

"The only thing that isn’t worthless: to live this life out truthfully and rightly. And be patient with those who don’t"

I suppose I've been looking in the wrong places for wisdom and should seek insight from cultural lyricists, Allen and Rodrigo.

"Fuck you. Fuck you very very mu - uh -uch"

🤔

I'll clear my bookshelves.

You have a bookshelf full of audiobooks?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, K2SO said:

That explains it, I went to watch Halloweens on WG at that point.

Very odd indeed though, seeing as how anti-war the festival is supposed to be... You'd get it if it was an appeal for supplies to help displaced families, etc... But for weapons!?

Should he have been asking for attendees to form a peace circle up at the stone circle instead? The man is repelling a far numerically larger invading force and trying to keep his country’s struggle in the western consciousness. Naturally he’s going to use any platform he can to ask for the resources he needs.

5 minutes ago, worstmanonroad said:

Should he have been asking for attendees to form a peace circle up at the stone circle instead? The man is repelling a far numerically larger invading force and trying to keep his country’s struggle in the western consciousness. Naturally he’s going to use any platform he can to ask for the resources he needs.

No, but if he's asking for donations at Glastonbury of all places, it should be for supplies such as food, shelter, clothes, etc... Not weapons.

6 minutes ago, K2SO said:

No, but if he's asking for donations at Glastonbury of all places, it should be for supplies such as food, shelter, clothes, etc... Not weapons.

I feel like expecting President Zelensky of Ukraine to keep his requests within the parameters of the ‘Glastonbury spirit’ at a time when his people are being massacred by Russian missiles in shopping malls is quite a grimly self-indulgent position for a Western European festival goer to take 

Edited by worstmanonroad
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

If you ban them then people with various medical conditions are absolutely ruled out of coming to the festival.  My mate couldn't stand for the whole day and sitting on the ground isn't possible so he needed a chair when we went to Glastonbury.  

We always used to sit towards the back out of the way of the main herd which was always fine.  Would never have dreamed of putting a chair up anywhere near the front of course.

I think if they can be accommodated they should be.  

I wonder if they will state people need to use the disabled platforms for such an issue....

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

The question is given Glastonbury's stance on various issues it was an interesting situation to see pro Nato Zelensky asking for funding at a festival that has traditionally been anti arms / anti war / anti nukes (and by logic anti nato) and so on what do they now stand for ? 

It's anti-nukes. But has it specifically taken any other black and white anti war stances?  It doesn't fund raise for e.g. Stop The War.

(Genuine query btw)