Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

Hopefully this has not been posted elsewhere, however this seemed like the best thread for this scathing opinion about the festival:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/glastonbury-sums-up-everything-there-is-to-hate-about-rock-music

I tried reading that. What the fuck is she on about? Barely intelligible nonsense for the most part.

2 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

Hopefully this has not been posted elsewhere, however this seemed like the best thread for this scathing opinion about the festival:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/glastonbury-sums-up-everything-there-is-to-hate-about-rock-music

Edited. Did not know that.... 

Edited by willgooneday

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Starting to have an allergic reaction to that tongue out emoji.

Me too. That guy has been trolling this site for 12 years.

I can only imagine there is barely enough room to squeeze another w*nk sock under the bed in his bedroom in his mum's house.

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Me too. That guy has been trolling this site for 12 years.

I can only imagine there is barely enough room to squeeze another w*nk sock under the bed in his bedroom in his mum's house.

Here is another one. Just hate and abuse. Find your safe space, when you do, stay there. 

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wonder if it was lost on some people what the bigger picture was when someone gave it the thumbs up but when you combine it with NATO thing and then you have a CND logo - just bizarre really...

I don't think a lot of the crowd understood where the money goes either..  its not exactly made clear is it ? 

The Zelensky address felt a bit Orwellian to me. I know the festival is highly political, but I also like to pretend I go there to escape all that shit. I selfishly didn’t want to be reminded of the most recent war/money pit while I was enjoying a bit of escapism 

I’m not comfortable with Glastonbury getting so explicitly involved in the commentary of the war to begin with. Not that there isn’t a clear victim and perpetrator, just it doesn’t quite sit right with me to have Zelensky call on Glastonbury Festival goers for support. As others have said, requests for funding of arms and weapons underneath the CND symbol is weird at best. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I tried reading that. What the fuck is she on about? Barely intelligible nonsense for the most part.

She’s a professional troll for the right these days but she has never really made any sense tbh. 

On 6/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Saw people asking about the ethnicity make up of the crowd this year in the Lenny thread and if it's representative of the UK, so I thought I'd ask about the quotas for female bands.

Are women flocking to all the female bands that are representing them? Or are they ignoring their representatives?

Weirdly - I saw nearly all women this year - TLC, Celeste, Billie Eilish, Lorde, Diana Ross.

I was working so I didn’t see loads, but I think the only blokes I saw were The Dualers, some bloke on the bandstand, and a rockabilly band in the acoustic crew tent.

On 6/28/2022 at 12:51 PM, SamBuca said:

While I expect some, there was far too much virtue-signalling political bullshit for me - you want to get away and escape this crap, but it's everywhere.

Greta? How dare you?

Zelensky? Western puppet president, corrupt to the core, has literal Nazi elements fighting for Ukraine

Roe v Wade? the most mis-represented decision ever. IT HASN'T BANNED ABORTION. IT HAS PASSED THE DECISION DOWN TO THE (ELECTED) STATE LEVEL. The screeching, wailing tantrums across several stages were pathetic.

Yes. Passing it to states was the end game. Dickhead.

‘screeching and wailing’ to have autonomy over your own body. Fuck. Right. Off. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Similar stories for a host of other famous folks from the 70s...
https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

In relation to Peel it's interesting to see that the article from 1999 linked by Wikipedia was also written by Burchill.  For the original source, once of them is this interview, so I'm posting in case anyone wants to see the whole interview (I had to right click and open image in new tab so I could zoom each page).

http://andywalmsley.blogspot.com/2014/10/peel-reveals.html 

15 hours ago, LoraMaze said:

The Zelensky address felt a bit Orwellian to me. I know the festival is highly political, but I also like to pretend I go there to escape all that shit. I selfishly didn’t want to be reminded of the most recent war/money pit while I was enjoying a bit of escapism 

Agree. Feel a bit bad for it tbh. Had a nice chat with a nice Greenpeace worker trying to sign me up and whilst I do like that there's an activism element to Glasto, i told her that i really care to the point it causes me anxiety in day to day life, but that for 5 days a year i want to escape all of it.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m not comfortable with Glastonbury getting so explicitly involved in the commentary of the war to begin with. Not that there isn’t a clear victim and perpetrator, just it doesn’t quite sit right with me to have Zelensky call on Glastonbury Festival goers for support. As others have said, requests for funding of arms and weapons underneath the CND symbol is weird at best. 

I'm with you on this, I was elsewhere on site so didn't see it, but watching it back was bizarre.  

On 6/28/2022 at 2:10 PM, jimmillen said:

There was some moaning pre-festival, can’t remember from whom, that the Park “atmosphere” would be ruined by screens.

Well, OK, maybe, but they need to not book big acts on there then. Can’t have it both ways - if you’re going to create massive crowds, you need a way for people at the back to see something. 

Me! And it would 😜

But I've softened after this year and wouldn't mind screens, as long as they're somewhere behind the tower, preserving the live experience for people in the traditional Park Stage arena.

Up on the hill would be alright.

Hey, sorry, I don't have time to answer to everyone personally. There's just too much wrong with so many of the statements being made.

For summary - you can't just choose a tiny sample size of the 10 richest people in the world and say, there you go, there's white privelege. I could post the 10 richest people in India, or China, and there wouldn't be a single white person in there. Just because the USA is the richest country in the world and has been traditionally a white-dominated country. Even THEN, if you look at the average earnings by ethnicity in the USA, it is Asian-Americans who do the best. Just like the UK. It's strange right? In these two white-dominated countries, Asians (Indians, Koreans, Chinese...) do the best... It's almost as if race doesn't play a part in your income ability and it's more to do with culture.. White people only only do a little bit better than Hispanics. 

Anyone want to start talking about Asian privilege? Or doesn't that fit the narrative? No doubt, you'll all likely ignore the stats of millions of people and keep choosing to look at the ten richest people. I don't understand that logic myself.

IMO, if you push the myth of white privilege, then you're doing more harm than good. If you told people to copy concepts from the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans etc, that would be a better message, to place value in hard work, community spirit, and further education.

image.thumb.png.c80ce63b8d1cb0c8fe7a35b764e682a5.png

It's the same for choosing individual instances of sexism. There probably have been examples of companies firing women still if they're about to go into maternity leave and I agree that's not good at all. I feel like that's more of a problem with the US's working rights and the fact that a lot of states can fire you for no reason at any time. I don't think it's got much to do with gender in general.

And besides, if I chose random articles to build a narrative, then I could easily do that.

It would be like the Daily Mail building a narrative about the two white lesbians who were attacked on a bus in London. Does anyone remember that? Then it came out that the culprits weren't white. Then the Daily Mail could start a narrative about that and go in hideous directions with it...

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/08/730951943/five-teens-arrested-in-homophobic-attack-on-london-bus

You can't build narratives around intangible things like white privilege or from small sample sizes, or from a feeling/personal anecdote.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not saying that bad things don't happen. Racism and sexism still exist and we have to call people out who do racist or sexist things. But likewise, your race or your gender is NOT the most determinant factor.

Culture is.

How hard you study. How hard you work. How you deal with failure. The fact that your parents are still together. If you finish school. These all have a far higher bearing on your life's success.

If anyone does here something racist or sexist obviously, it should be called out immediately, but don't then judge every person the same based on that one person's physical make-up. We need to move away from identity politics as soon as possible.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say.

Hope you're all enjoying the sun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Levitz said:

Yes. Passing it to states was the end game. Dickhead.

‘screeching and wailing’ to have autonomy over your own body. Fuck. Right. Off. 

They are screeching and wailing for the rights of unborn babies not to be pulled apart with medical instruments - what's not to like? They are fighting for life, not death.

Some states may ban abortion, some states will keep definitely keep abortion.

When I carried my twins, I never once considered that they were 'my body', but two separate entities and my role became to protect and nourish them for 9 months (well, it was just over 7 in the end) 

We have lost our way.

Capture2.JPG

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

A termination is a complex multi layer decision which is best taken between a doctor and the person who is pregnant and any other third party that person choose to involve.

I mean forcing a women to give birth to their rapists baby or give birth to a child which we know will kill them or have an extremely low quality of life are just very extreme examples of why we need to fight extremists like you.

You are allowed your view and you should exercise them in your own life and leave other the fuck alone.

Thanks for your opinion Barry. I'm assuming you are a male and I'm glad you feel able to express it. 

I'm of the opinion that abortions should be safe, legal and rare. Rape incest and protecting the life of the mother are my exceptions, although there are some amazing souls out there who are the 'product' of rape, living amazing lives who would beg to differ. Rape is cited as a reason for abortion in around 1% of cases. some statistics have it as low as 0.5%

The rest -  people ought to take responsibility in the first place, not use it as a monstrous late birth control method. Life is sacred.

If you that makes me an extremist in your mind, then I suppose I'm an extremist in your mind. Anyway, that's all I'll say on the matter.

Have a pleasant day.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:37 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Not really and definitely not in law. Do you believe there are? If yes, which systems or institutions?

That doesn't mean there's not racists and sexists out there, but I don't think swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction is going to solve anything. It'll just add more fuel to the fire, divide us along identity lines and continue from there. Choosing a person for a job along the lines of their gender/race, is just plain sexism/racism.

I can understand a lot of people think they have good intentions. But they can't see it down the road, the consequences, or the hypocrisy of their beliefs.

Again, if I hired a woman over a man, and then declared so publicly, I would likely be sued for discrimination. It's that simple.

So many people here are (shockingly) in favour of making decisions based on a person's gender or race. It's not going to help anything, it's just going to cause more divisions. I'm on the side of MLK on this one.

So why do you think the music industry is dominated by men then?

I get your point: positive discrimination like Glastonbury is doing will piss people off but what else can you do? You need to create the opportunities at the top so that more people give it a go further down. "We shouldn't do it because the white men in charge will get angry and that'll cause more divisions" isn't a good enough argument. If you think like that you'll never change anything.