Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

hmmm

I mean there is just too much wrong in all  of this really to pick a part on a forum.

Try walking a mile in a woman's shoes...  or a black persons shoes...  or maybe even a black woman's shoes and see how easy it is compared to your shoes.

My wife worked in a heavy male industry and she had deal with all sorts of sexiest stuff to make it to the top and was still paid around 20% less than the men in the same director positions...  Not sure how you work out that is anything other than discrimination to to be honest.

She is now a teacher...  

Well, if you make it to Glasto-23, I'll happily meet up and chat about it face to face 😃

I appreciate the way you discuss things, I really do.

It's nice to have a back and forth without it resorting to wild accusations and insults, hahaha

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That's a nice list and means absolutely nothing. Not unless all these white men gained their money through slave trading or something?

Let me re-phrase that for you: "This list that directly proves my sweeping statement wrong means nothing. I'm going to change the parameters now so the conversation gets diverted off in another direction and I can continue to argue 2+2=5 for my own entertainment." 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Let me re-phrase that for you: "This list that directly proves my sweeping statement wrong means nothing. I'm going to change the parameters now so the conversation gets diverted off in another direction and I can continue to argue 2+2=5 for my own entertainment." 

To be honest, I don't know what posting that list was meant to prove in the first place?

The richest man ever to have lived was a black man by the name of Mansa Musa. I wouldn't use him as an example to prove that no black people are in poverty. You're just going from A to Z without any tangible thought.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You think they all did it on merit alone ? 

I mean, I don't know their histories in and out, but I don't think they accumulated their wealth by virtue of being white, if that's what you mean?

I think Elon Musk had amazing ideas, Bill Gates too, obviously Mark Zuckerberg stole his idea for Facebook, but he didn't steal it from black people. I just don't see how this list of ten men proves anything.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You think they all did it on merit alone ? 

They probably do. Take Bill Gates - it's well documented he worked really hard to become a tech expert, particularly in Bounce by Matthew Syed. It's easy to ignore the fact his first exposure to computers was at Lakeside Private school, or that he went to Harvard, or that when he was sneaking into the basement to use PCs he wasn't allowed to use he wasn't chased out. I reckon had he been a black teenager he might have been rather aggressively removed from the premises?!

The fact he got those opportunities, and wasn't prevented from taking advantage of them, is what white privilege is all about. 

Edited by blutarsky
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jul/09/tesla-workers-terminated-claim-maternity-sick-leave

Come work at Tesla...  Just don't be a women...

You think thats a level playing field within Tesla ? 

If it gets investigated and proven to be unfair dismissal and they were fired for being pregnant, as they work in a 'right-to-work' state, I doubt anything will happen. I have absolutely no idea why they got fired. I doubt Elon Musk did it himself either.

Don't get me wrong, 'right-to-work' in the US, is a horrid job placement. You could literally get fired for anything.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Do you know the history of South Africa ?   Maybe read up a bit on Musks childhood and compare it to the average black person in South Africa growing up at the same time.

Yeah, like I said before, I'm not excusing systems in the past haven't existed, but I don't think some kind of reverse engineering of society will get us to where we want to be. I don't think historical racism needs to be corrected with modern racism.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I doubt Elon Musk did it himself either.

So CEOs can be absolved of all blame for anything that happens in their company, where they should be setting and driving the culture, as long as they didn't directly do it themselves? 

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, like I said before, I'm not excusing systems in the past haven't existed, but I don't think some kind of reverse engineering of society will get us to where we want to be. I don't think historical racism needs to be corrected with modern racism.

But everything is connected and affected by past context. 

Let me give you an example. Bill Gates approaches me and challenges me to a "who can make the most money in the next month" contest. He says, "let's just forget that our starting points are vastly different - the past doesn't matter." 

What hope have I got of out-earning him over 30 days? Nil - because our starting points are so different. that's true whether we acknowledge it or not. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

So CEOs can be absolved of all blame for anything that happens in their company, where they should be setting and driving the culture, as long as they didn't directly do it themselves? 

Elon Musk has about 120k employees at his companies. It's almost as many as how many people were at Glastonbury last week.

Should Michael Eavis be to blame, if someone does something illegal on the farm? ME also sets and drives the culture, doesn't he?

You have such a cliche view of CEOs as some kind of tyrants.

Just now, blutarsky said:

But everything is connected and affected by past context. 

Let me give you an example. Bill Gates approaches me and challenges me to a "who can make the most money in the next month" contest. He says, "let's just forget that our starting points are vastly different - the past doesn't matter." 

What hope have I got of out-earning him over 30 days? Nil - because our starting points are so different. that's true whether we acknowledge it or not. 

Okay, one last reply and then I'm seriously going.

You cannot compare past context with past earnings. That doesn't make any sense. And no one is suggesting that you are going to make as much money as Mr Toast Head. But if you take five children (black, Indian, non-white British, Chinese, white British, black) living in the UK and they're all in poverty, the liklihood is the Indian and Chinese kids will do the best in life. Because of culture.

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Not really and definitely not in law. Do you believe there are? If yes, which systems or institutions?

That doesn't mean there's not racists and sexists out there, but I don't think swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction is going to solve anything. It'll just add more fuel to the fire, divide us along identity lines and continue from there. Choosing a person for a job along the lines of their gender/race, is just plain sexism/racism.

I can understand a lot of people think they have good intentions. But they can't see it down the road, the consequences, or the hypocrisy of their beliefs.

Again, if I hired a woman over a man, and then declared so publicly, I would likely be sued for discrimination. It's that simple.

So many people here are (shockingly) in favour of making decisions based on a person's gender or race. It's not going to help anything, it's just going to cause more divisions. I'm on the side of MLK on this one.

Ha ha ha, yeah tediously banging on about race and sex, you're a regular MLK alright 😊

You bring it up and then whenever challenged accuse people of being racist or sexist - then you actually suggest that white privilege doesn't exist and I think you even believe that too 🤣

34 minutes ago, HomicidalGoat said:

I'd happily add £30, probably even more, to my ticket if it meant the festival could provide an order of magnitude more showers and better toilet facilities. By Saturday I always feel absolutely disgusting and it definitely detracts from the final few days' experience for me. 

Alternatively add loads of new showers and make them pay to use. £10 with any profit going to charity. 

A couple of shower trucks like they have in private camping or other festivals would be great, £10 for a shower (limited to a few minutes), would help stop people washing at the taps

Just now, she bangs the drums said:

Hopefully this has not been posted elsewhere, however this seemed like the best thread for this scathing opinion about the festival:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/glastonbury-sums-up-everything-there-is-to-hate-about-rock-music

Warning: contains a link to Julie Burchill's opinions

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Hopefully this has not been posted elsewhere, however this seemed like the best thread for this scathing opinion about the festival:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/glastonbury-sums-up-everything-there-is-to-hate-about-rock-music

It always makes me laugh when they talk about ‘300 BBC staff went’ as if it’s a jolly or  they blagged their way in.

How on  earth do they expect the many hours of coverage they put out if they don’t have the staff there? I’m pretty sure the viewing figures justify sending 300 staff otherwise they wouldn’t do it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

It always makes me laugh when they talk about ‘300 BBC staff went’ as if it’s a jolly or  they blagged their way in.

How on  earth do they expect the many hours of coverage they put out if they don’t have the staff there? I’m pretty sure the viewing figures justify sending 300 staff otherwise they wouldn’t do it.

Considering the sheer volume of content the BBC produces from Glastonbury - across multiple different platforms - 300 staff is an incredibly small number given they're covering 6 stages simultaneously plus the various roaming content.

Pretty confident that the bulk of those 300 are working 12+ hour days and cursing their jobs.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Back to opinions...

Macca doing the whole Lennon thing was a bit sick..

Using his image like that felt wrong and distasteful but it made a few people cry who weren't even alive when Lennon was so its all good.

Why do you think that? Genuinely interested. Beatles obviously miles before my time 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Back to opinions...

Macca doing the whole Lennon thing was a bit sick..

Using his image like that felt wrong and distasteful but it made a few people cry who weren't even alive when Lennon was so its all good.

I didn't see owt wrong with it and I'm pretty certain it couldn't have happened without Yoko's blessing.