Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

8 hours ago, Billy Corgans hair said:

Indie Disco at the JP is such a good idea!

Our group spoke about how wandering around after the headliners every single stage, area, event sounded exactly the same and that we couldn't differentiate between what was being played at each one.

This post sounds like you're over 60.

14 hours ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Can’t stand the place. Miles away from everything else, terrible sound and vantage. Trying to do too much packed into too small a space.

Think I’m just gonna pretend it doesn’t exist for festivals going forward. Elvis could come back from the dead but if he’s on Park I won’t be there.

Ha, the Park along with the Greenfields area are the best bits for me. For nearly every band the Park is fine as it is - there's the VERY occasional Wet Leg moment, but no need the whole thing for that. Good stuff up at the Crow's Nest  - I watched Porridge Radio this year, the hill, ribbon tower, rabbit hole etc. 

The SEC for me. Loads of great venues, but all geared up to some sort of dance music after hours. I've never been into pills, and find it hard to understand that anyone can get into all that without those 😀. Would be nice to have some of these venues dedicated to music other than dance.

Edit: Just read the comments on the last page and loads are saying the same as me already 😀

Edited by Chip Batch

11 hours ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

There's most definitely good live stuff out there - I think what K2SO is saying is that needs to be more of a dedicated space. The late night stuff feels dominated by DJs of a certain persuasion, whether that's in the SE Corner, or The Park, or The Glade, or Greenpeace.

I love a lot of that stuff. I also love live music. I think more of a balance would be cool - it feels like there used to be more of that, but less so now.

I was surprised with Greenpeace. Food places taken out since my last visit, and that tree thing turned into ANOTHER dance area after hours 🙄. Admittedly I caught a small bit of Katy J Pearson on the little stage there one day.

It doesn't even need to be live music for me - I sometimes catch stuff in Toad Hall, but DJs playing something other than dance in a specific venue would be good. 

Edited by Chip Batch

19 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Genuine question: do you believe that systematic bias favouring some groups over others exists in our society? 

Not really and definitely not in law. Do you believe there are? If yes, which systems or institutions?

That doesn't mean there's not racists and sexists out there, but I don't think swinging the pendulum in the opposite direction is going to solve anything. It'll just add more fuel to the fire, divide us along identity lines and continue from there. Choosing a person for a job along the lines of their gender/race, is just plain sexism/racism.

I can understand a lot of people think they have good intentions. But they can't see it down the road, the consequences, or the hypocrisy of their beliefs.

Again, if I hired a woman over a man, and then declared so publicly, I would likely be sued for discrimination. It's that simple.

So many people here are (shockingly) in favour of making decisions based on a person's gender or race. It's not going to help anything, it's just going to cause more divisions. I'm on the side of MLK on this one.

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgans hair said:

Because you don't like dance/house immediately means you're over 60 🤔

"Dance" is such a varied, broad and different music genre though that saying that it all sounds the same makes you sound like Michael Eavis or someone over 80 or something.

Saying disco, house, DnB, Techno, Dubstep, Breaks and all their sub genres sound the same just makes you sound disingenuous.

That was my point really - the original poster said all the dance tents sounded the same. Which is a crazy opinion.

Edited by Isaact

Electric Picnic pretty much stole it’s blueprint from Glasto when it started (Lost Vagueness was even there!, and subsequently Arcadia). But one thing they always did well was live music after hours. Not mega bands doing secret sets, but smaller bands. It gives great exposure to smaller bands as they end up playing to crowds far in excess of their usual crowd. I know there’s stuff like this scattered around the site, but at EP, this was concentrated in the Body & Soul area (since gone on to be it’s own festival). That’s expanded since then to other late night venues, all with a mix of live music and DJs. It’s a great way to discover the weird and wonderful and there’s no shortage of that at Glasto, just needs somebody to put a bit more thought into nighttime programming.

14 hours ago, northernringo said:

Not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but there shouldn't be a stage named after someone who married a 15 year old (John Peel).

As you alluded to, I'm not sure that's a 'controversial' opinion. The man openly admitted multiple acts with underage girls... Reading his wiki page full of quotes, with references to those quotes, is quite sickening. 

"All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do"

"Turned out to be 13, though she looked older" "I didn't ask for I.D"

😕 yikes

Going back to the whole 'live music in the evening' thing...

Would making BBC Introducing something of an after-hours venue be a 'solution'?

Always feels empty during the day, because it's completely overshadowed by all the mega stages surrounding it. There's lots of decent stuff on there, and I wonder if moving the stage times back a bit would allow more people to get in there and get the artists involved a bit more exposure.

You'd then have the earlier acts clashing with headliners, which isn't great, but the bulk of the line-up would be playing in the wee hours. 

Arcadia is bollocks IMO. Anytime a big act plays at night it's a nightmare getting there and it affects the Park area too. The sound is also pretty iffy.

The Park Stage also needs a bigger area now and maybe screens given the level of acts playing there.

Also more thought needs to be given to Thursday music. As many others have said the current situation leads to massive queues and crushes in several small venues. 

All in all though, the organisers do 90% of things very well and in all honesty, the logistics of what they do blows my mind. Incredible. 

18 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

As you alluded to, I'm not sure that's a 'controversial' opinion. The man openly admitted multiple acts with underage girls... Reading his wiki page full of quotes, with references to those quotes, is quite sickening. 

"All they wanted me to do was abuse them, sexually, which, of course, I was only too happy to do"

"Turned out to be 13, though she looked older" "I didn't ask for I.D"

😕 yikes

Felt very uncomfortable with that undertones quote at the side of the stage.... 

2 minutes ago, mr_monkey said:

Felt very uncomfortable with that undertones quote at the side of the stage.... 

Somebody close to me said similar, I didn't understand at the time, as I've only since returning home discovered all of this... But yeh, I can see why!

11 hours ago, K2SO said:

I feel like maybe keeping John Peel open (if that's even possible?) after hours for like indie discos, tribute bands, etc could help out. Not only would it give more variation of things to do, but it would also spread the crowds out more than they currently are.

The silent disco in Silver Hayes used to kind of solve this issue on a Weds/Thurs. I love electronic music but for just one night I wanted an indie disco for a change and couldn't find anywhere playing anything except for a bar between The Other stage and Pyramid but it wasn't the same. The silent disco used to to be the one. Does anyone know why they got rid of it? Totally ruined my Thursday evening plans.

We enjoyed Baggy Mondays up on Stonebridge but it was on really early, only an hour or so and couldn't get anywhere near the tent.

54 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If that was your only reasoning you would...  If you had two equal candidates and you hired the women over the man to increase diversity - that would be lawful.

EDIT : just to add it is actually lawful to operate positive discrimination in certain situations...  for example the police force...

I'm not too surprised about certain jobs that have become overly politicised in all honesty, such as policing. 

As far as the other point, what I'd read was that if everything is equal in regards to qualifications etc, you are allowed to boost your own staff pool according to who was underrepresented in your own company, not some perceived wider disadvantaged net of societal problems. Not that I like that much either. I'd rather remove all talk of race/sex/sexual orientation.

14 hours ago, clarkete said:

Who are you and what have you done with Barry? This interloper keeps talking sense.

Anyone who thinks that those who protested this decision over the festival were virtue signalling, ie making a statement because they reckon it will garner approval, rather than because they actually believe it, is clearly a fool who should be dismissed out of hand. 

14 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Fuck me, I agree with Barry 😂 

I'm just assuming he got hacked a few days ago. Once he regains control of his account things will return to normal. 

38 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You don't see it as a requirement of policing that they represent the community they police ?   I don't think thats politics to be fair...  I think thats more of a default requirement.

I do think you need to reflect of how as a white man (I presume tell me if I am wrong) its easier to say we should all be treated equally while being in the position of already having a default advantage.

I fucking hate the term - white privilege - but the arguments around it are real ones...  and when you combine white and male - well...

I don't see it as a requirement of a police officer to have to look like the people he's arresting/trying to protect, no. I just don't see it as necessary. If we're going to stop judging each other on our race, it would be a good idea to stop actively supporting that idea, that only a black man can go into a black neighbourhood and be courteous and polite and protect them against whoever. Also, I think policing is probably one of the most politicised jobs out there, if not the most politicised. Just look at any tragedy that happens, the aftermath is like a cultural warzone.

White privilege, no I don't like the term and there's not a lot of evidence to support it. Highest earners? Non-whites (or at least White-British). Indians and Chinese and White other have the highest weekly earnings. Not because of their skin colour, because they place strong family structures, education, and hard work. Race has nothing to do with it. They succeed because of their culture/character.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/work-pay-and-benefits/pay-and-income/household-income/latest

And there's certainly no privilege strangelhold at university for white people over races. Again, Asian groups send more children as a percentage to university than white children going. Of all the disadvantaged, it's the white working class who don't have the opportunities to go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-57558746

Again, I don't think skin colour has the largest impact on a person's career or life in general. It's more likely to be economic more than anything.

There's no statistics to back up the term 'white privilege' whatsoever.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I think it's probably rather telling this has been asked several times and never answered. 

I don't think it's important. Why should it matter?

If I'm white, then you'll say, "oh it all makes sense now, you're a Tory and a gammon and a this and a that."

If I'm black, then you'll say, "oh how can you let your people down and you're a coconut and a this and a that."

If I'm Asian, then you'll say, "oh how can you let your people down and you're a turncoat and a this and a that."

I think it's telling that race matters so much to you, you're so thirsty to find out, as if that makes any difference to the arguments. You're just proving why it's racist to think like that.

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

White privilege, no I don't like the term and there's not a lot of evidence to support it. Highest earners? Non-whites.

There's no statistics to back up the term 'white privilege' whatsoever.

Hi. I just spoke to some facts and they'd like to disagree with you. 

Ranked: The Top 10 Richest People on the Planet

I'd happily add £30, probably even more, to my ticket if it meant the festival could provide an order of magnitude more showers and better toilet facilities. By Saturday I always feel absolutely disgusting and it definitely detracts from the final few days' experience for me. 

Alternatively add loads of new showers and make them pay to use. £10 with any profit going to charity. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

Hi. I just spoke to some facts and they'd like to disagree with you. 

Ranked: The Top 10 Richest People on the Planet

But don't you know, Elon Musk is the most successful African-American ever? Haha. Jokes.

That's a nice list and means absolutely nothing. Not unless all these white men gained their money through slave trading or something?