Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

59 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Just like Emily Eavis and Lenny, I guess 😛

In fairness, I have to keep defending myself about it because of other's wild accusations that I'm some kind of white supremacist or hate all women, or that Diana Ross didn't deserve to be on the bill...

My wish is that we could all stop the agenda, let the music do the talking (singing/playing?!) and forget about historical hideousness, victim-hood, each other's personal context, and just love each other for our personalities and characters.

I want to enjoy the music without thinking about all the stuff that people cannot change about themselves.

#StopTheAgendas

Downvoting a call to Martin Luther King's core dream. Well done you, haha. 

18 hours ago, TheGChild said:

It would be a nicer place if they only let in over 30s

Doubt it. Saw loads of over 30s littering, pissing where they liked and camping in massive groups without children (huge circle of tents with loads of communal space in centre) in the packed family field. 

11 minutes ago, wilko8 said:

It’s the Eavis’ festival. They can book who they like. Sensible people are on board with the fact that female artists have been woefully underrepresented on festival line ups since forever for no good reason, just blatant sexism. 

The festival could have a majority female lineup completely on merit so there is zero argument that 50-50 could be considered sexist against men in any way. 

And if you wanted to spend all your time watching white men playing guitars you still could, all day, every day. 

Jesus, you're like a 50th person to misunderstand my point.

- I'm not against women on the bill

- I'm not against non-white people on the bill; that's a horrible accusation to throw at someone carelessly. And btw, you're assuming I must be white and only want to see white men?! Haha, good Lord.

- I'm against fundamentally making decisions based on race/gender and some perceived sexism. If everyone went around doing that, we'd be in a right mess. To take it to the extreme so perhaps you understand; the Nazis also had their own version of context to kill Jews, the KKK had their own context, and so on.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I was only watching on TV but I have to say I thought the female artists where the best / most enjoyable overall.   I'm bored to death with the white male rocker three cord wonder shit lol.  Sorry to bring sex and race into it - white men hate that it seems  😜 

Not you as well Barry! Haha. I too am bored with a lot of the old rock stuff. I wouldn't go as far as to attach race to it, mind you 😉 Bruce Springsteen, God I hope he doesn't get released as an early headliner. Not because of his race though, just because he bores the pants off of me, lol

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

The reality is all these white rockers are just trying to better the decent black ones like Berry and Hendrix and failing badly 😛   Us whites can't even get rock right 😄 

Sorry Im clearly on a wind up now 😄 although it is a bit true 😄 

Oh my word, don't feed the others, they'll take you seriously and demand even more changes based on race! Hahaha 😄

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

While I expect some, there was far too much virtue-signalling political bullshit for me - you want to get away and escape this crap, but it's everywhere.

Greta? How dare you?

Zelensky? Western puppet president, corrupt to the core, has literal Nazi elements fighting for Ukraine

Roe v Wade? the most mis-represented decision ever. IT HASN'T BANNED ABORTION. IT HAS PASSED THE DECISION DOWN TO THE (ELECTED) STATE LEVEL. The screeching, wailing tantrums across several stages were pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

- I'm not against non-white people on the bill; that's a horrible accusation to throw at someone carelessly. And btw, you're assuming I must be white and only want to see white men?! Haha, good Lord.

- I'm against fundamentally making decisions based on race/gender and some perceived sexism. If everyone went around doing that, we'd be in a right mess. To take it to the extreme so perhaps you understand; the Nazis also had their own version of context to kill Jews, the KKK had their own context, and so on.

Genuine question: do you believe that systematic bias favouring some groups over others exists in our society? 

In other news, The Park Stage needs some thought.  The sound desk is too close and blocks the middle.  The right is down slope so you can't see it.  The left has the Stonebridge noise.  The hill mixes about 7 sounds at once.  There are no screens.

Jack White who sounded excellent but was ultimately a bit pointless, I was over-hot though TBF

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

"Merit" is a very subjective thing when it comes to deciding what artists are worthy enough, and it's not like acts were booked 100% booked on that in the past (as in, networking and such helped too). 

All else equal, who gives AF if they pick a female act over a male act.

I think the complaints mostly stem from the fact that historically (and to be honest even till relatively recently) men have had the lions share in music. There are simply more better/popular male acts than they are female because the scales haven't had time to flip the other way yet. 

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Considering that I didn’t quote you, refer to you or accuse you of anything it does really sound like you’re protesting a whole load too much for someone who doesn’t subscribe to the things that you think you’re being accused of. 

I simply stated some undeniable facts. If you choose to take them as an insult because they struck a nerve with you, then that is on you. 

If you really are on board with equity of opportunity for everyone in music/life then you really should be on board providing more than equal opportunities to groups that have been previously disadvantaged due to sexism/racism/any other ism etc. Because you don’t achieve equity by treating everyone equally. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

In other news, The Park Stage needs some thought.  The sound desk is too close and blocks the middle.  The right is down slope so you can't see it.  The left has the Stonebridge noise.  The hill mixes about 7 sounds at once.  There are no screens.

Jack White who sounded excellent but was ultimately a bit pointless, I was over-hot though TBF

More or less my thought. Just move it a bit, yes the ribbon tower may not be at the perfect spot anymore but moving it about 100 meters could make quite a difference.

49 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

There was some moaning pre-festival, can’t remember from whom, that the Park “atmosphere” would be ruined by screens.

Well, OK, maybe, but they need to not book big acts on there then. Can’t have it both ways - if you’re going to create massive crowds, you need a way for people at the back to see something. 

Edited by jimmillen

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

There was some moaning pre-festival, can’t remember from whom, that the Park “atmosphere” would be ruined by screens.

Well, OK, maybe, but they need to not book big acts on there then. Can’t have it both ways - if you’re going to create massive crowds, you need a way for people at the back to see something. 

They got away with it before I think. I remember seeing Grimes there in 2016 and it was less busy than the least busy act I saw on the park this year. Granted she wasn't as famous as she is now but she was still 2 big albums in. If they put her on the park this year it would absolutely rammed.  There were too many people/not enough good acts, the lineup was a bit bereft this year.

6 hours ago, SamBuca said:

While I expect some, there was far too much virtue-signalling political bullshit for me - you want to get away and escape this crap, but it's everywhere.

Greta? How dare you?

Zelensky? Western puppet president, corrupt to the core, has literal Nazi elements fighting for Ukraine

Roe v Wade? the most mis-represented decision ever. IT HASN'T BANNED ABORTION. IT HAS PASSED THE DECISION DOWN TO THE (ELECTED) STATE LEVEL. The screeching, wailing tantrums across several stages were pathetic.

Wait, they brought up politics at Glastonbury?   🤣

Maybe it's not the festival for you after all? 

Edited by clarkete

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

- I'm against fundamentally making decisions based on race/gender and some perceived sexism. If everyone went around doing that, we'd be in a right mess

There is an anti-woman bias in music though. You can just look at the numbers. Unless somehow fundamentally women are less musically talented than men (which makes no sense whatsover), then men are massively over-represented.

At this point, it becomes a chicken and egg situation if you want to correct for that historical bias. Which I think we should do. 

There's fewer women, because women know now how much harder that road is for them, and how they get fewer opportunities. And because there's fewer successful women musicians, if you book solely on merit you end up booking more men.

Alternatively, you create those opportunities, and encourage others to do so also. Yes, in the short term, that's beneficial. It actually makes it easier for women to get those opportunities, as they're fighting in a smaller pool than the men. But that encourages more women to try, ultimately leading an equal number of male and female acts at that high level, and meaning you can go back to booking exclusively on merit again.

I get what you're saying, you think the festival should book only on merit, but I don't think you understand that if everyone does that, you never solve the problem, it becomes a self-perpetuating loop. So although it sounds like the fairest option, and in a vacuum it totally is, it perpetuates an unfair system.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SamBuca said:

Greta? How dare you?

Wait, they brought up politics at Glastonbury?   🤣

Maybe it's not the festival for you after all? 

3 hours ago, SamBuca said:

Greta? How dare you?

37rul7.jpg

Only allow people to attend 3 out of 4 years (randomly) to allow new blood the chance to get in.

You see people going 25 years in a row and think how is that fair? It's so difficult if you've just got two of you trying for tickets when there are long established groups of 30+ who have been going for so many years in a row.

12 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Protesting about the festival bringing up politics & "virtue signalling" when it was literally called Glastonbury CND Festival at one point, seems a bit odd.

It was also called Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts at one point.

I don't get your point, sorry.

Perhaps they should rename it Glastonbury-Festival-of-Performing-Arts-and-whatever-the-current-"Thing"-trending-on-Twitter-is-that-we'll-all-forget-about-when-the-next-thing-comes-along.

I dunno, it's just my controversial Glastonbury opinion which I thought I'd jot down in the controversial Glastonbury opinions thread.

3 hours ago, wilko8 said:

Considering that I didn’t quote you, refer to you or accuse you of anything it does really sound like you’re protesting a whole load too much for someone who doesn’t subscribe to the things that you think you’re being accused of. 

I simply stated some undeniable facts. If you choose to take them as an insult because they struck a nerve with you, then that is on you. 

If you really are on board with equity of opportunity for everyone in music/life then you really should be on board providing more than equal opportunities to groups that have been previously disadvantaged due to sexism/racism/any other ism etc. Because you don’t achieve equity by treating everyone equally. 

Sure, downvoted something I said, then left a reply directly under it, but the two are unrelated, lol 🙄

You can go ahead and push for changes based on historical opinion, but you might be surprised that different people can call upon, or have diff ideas of what the true history actually is. For example, the whole 'is Winston Churchill a hero or villain' discussion. Depending on who you ask, depending on their own perspective on history - all personal choice of how they interpret history mind you, you could come to a variety of conclusions.

So, if you want to choose to treat differently based on your own personal conclusions, but don't be surprised when others do the same which have terrible consequences. Either we treat everyone the same without talking about race/sex all the time, or we judge each other by charateristics we can't change.

Your call. 

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, downvoted something I said, then left a reply directly under it, but the two are unrelated, lol 🙄

You can go ahead and push for changes based on historical opinion, but you might be surprised that different people can call upon, or have diff ideas of what the true history actually is. For example, the whole 'is Winston Churchill a hero or villain' discussion. Depending on who you ask, depending on their own perspective on history - all personal choice of how they interpret history mind you, you could come to a variety of conclusions.

So, if you want to choose to treat differently based on your own personal conclusions, but don't be surprised when others do the same which have terrible consequences. Either we treat everyone the same without talking about race/sex all the time, or we judge each other by charateristics we can't change.

Your call. 

You’d be the c*** wanting your own box I suppose. 

4A475159-98C5-4592-A464-24A832CDD104.jpeg