Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

11 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Can't believe there will be people attending Glasto who think it's okay to judge ppl based on their gender or race, and their own personal subjective form of context. Literal sexism/racism.

It's no better than the far right and their own version of context or history.

Either we treat everyone the same, or nothing gets better.

I take it you've already seen this and don't buy that some people are naturally disadvantaged and if we simply "treated everyone equally", then it's going to work out really badly for some folk and really well for others, who benefit from ingrained societal advantages?

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I take it you've already seen this and don't buy that some people are naturally disadvantaged and if we simply "treated everyone equally", then it's going to work out really badly for some folk and really well for others, who benefit from ingrained societal advantages?

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

How many differences between the two can you spot? 

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

I prefer this one. You don't have to give people "special treatment" if you fix the crooked system. 

4v6005upnt051.thumb.jpg.9c543107d7ceec6d45dbce97f592ab62.jpg

10 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I prefer this one. You don't have to give people "special treatment" if you fix the crooked system. 

4v6005upnt051.thumb.jpg.9c543107d7ceec6d45dbce97f592ab62.jpg

I'm not so keen on that, because it doesn't offer so much in the way of concrete solutions and gives a get our clause from actually helping people saying we should just "fix the system". But how? At least the first picture uses a metaphor that suggests things we can do - give poor people more money, give minorites more opportunities.

In fact, since this is just a metaphor and all, I think that giving people more opportunities actually is the best way to make fundamental changes. Obviously that doesn't make sense in terms of step ladders and trees or fences, but metaphors eh?

This is another one, but how are you going to straighten the tree or remove the fence? By giving people shots.

Equality-equity-justice-lores.png

I'm worried that as a 60 yr old bloke, and taking virgins and other older attendees, that the 'Glastonbury Vibe' (first went in '84) is still going to be there! Obviously it's now different but, looking at staying around the Park and SE Corner with maybe a cheeky look at Williams Green and The Glade. 

Honestly, I think this is my last time on the farm for me, I will always think part of me is those fields though. 

On 6/3/2022 at 3:00 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:but for me, enforced social engineering (quotas, affirmative action etc) is not the best way to counter it. It's something straight out of Soviet Russia.

You keep saying this. Your opinion is evidentially wrong. It’s proven that affirmative action has positive effects for minorities and wider society. 

1 minute ago, AdamTGlasto said:

Never been to Glastonbury before, but I suppose my biggest controversial opinion is that the lineup isn't very strong this year. Looking at recent past lineups, there are loads of acts I want to see, compared to virtually nothing on this one. I'm not saying I'm not looking forward to the experience, it'd just be nice to have a few biggies to be really looking forward to.

The thing is Glastonbury is good at picking up and coming acts and so when you look back at historic festivals you imagine they were bigger than they were at the time. I’ve been going since 2010 and have all the line up posters in my kitchen and every so often I see a name and think can’t believe x were at that festival and we didn’t see them but they would have been an up and coming act at the time that I hadn’t heard of. In 2-3 years time you might look back at this poster and say that there were loads of people to watch in comparison to the latest poster. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AdamTGlasto said:

That might be the case for some people, but I've been trying to get to Glasto for a while, so it's not like I'm looking at past lineups retrospectively. When the acts started getting announced for this lineup I kept expecting a few bigger names to get dropped in sub headliner positions. When I realised I wasn't going to get my wish I must admit I felt a little bit gutted in the pit of my stomach. But I've been using my limited free time to listen to some acts I've never heard of, and there are a few that I like the sound of. But not many where I feel like I'm going to know all their hits and have a good singalong. The exceptions are Paul McCartney and Heaton but I've seen them both quite a few times before.

I have been absolutely crestfallen in the past when I have failed to get tickets, and having fluked a ticket this year I feel like I wouldn't have been that gutted if I hadn't got one.

What sort of genre were or act were you hoping for? 

I've been every year since 85 and this line up is so much stronger than so many of those years, indeed even for an oldie like me I recognise tons of cracking acts 😊

As @gigpushersays, there are many of those from earlier years which appear stronger with hindsight as the acts went on to greater success later. 

Edited by clarkete

On 6/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, BluePaul said:

Here’s one from the Twitter…

0A135168-8C2A-4308-9472-66A50D50BFB0.thumb.jpeg.cbb0d9103095beb50ded16e1a938d60f.jpeg
I’m obviously spoiling it for everyone.  Sorry.

I’m 56 and did laugh at  this. It does kinda concern me that I don’t feel out of place at most of the gigs I go to. 

2 hours ago, AdamTGlasto said:

That might be the case for some people, but I've been trying to get to Glasto for a while, so it's not like I'm looking at past lineups retrospectively. When the acts started getting announced for this lineup I kept expecting a few bigger names to get dropped in sub headliner positions. When I realised I wasn't going to get my wish I must admit I felt a little bit gutted in the pit of my stomach. But I've been using my limited free time to listen to some acts I've never heard of, and there are a few that I like the sound of. But not many where I feel like I'm going to know all their hits and have a good singalong. The exceptions are Paul McCartney and Heaton but I've seen them both quite a few times before.

I have been absolutely crestfallen in the past when I have failed to get tickets, and having fluked a ticket this year I feel like I wouldn't have been that gutted if I hadn't got one.

I reckon your opinion could change once you’ve been. I was extremely “meh” about the lineup of my first first festival, but it ended up being one of the best times ever. I only saw one pyramid stage headliner!

I get upset by the hypocrisy of championing green causes whilst every year chipping away at a bit more of the nature reserves on site (I.e. the (not so) secret piano bar and the beautiful but needless lights/ walkways/ Shakespeare stage in the woods between Pyramid and John peel). Just let some of it be. These areas are part of the magic and should be left alone. 

3 minutes ago, AdamTGlasto said:

I'm not into dance village or DJ acts, so that narrows things down for me, I admit. It's just that I've heard of very few of the bands on the lineup (I'm not totally up to date with new acts, but I'd say I have above average musical knowledge than the average person), and I've discovered very few new bands on the lineup that work for me. Just glancing at the 2019 initial poster, I can see a handful of great bands/acts that I would have loved to see. 

Have you tried looking at the Clashfinder?

https://clashfinder.com/m/g2022

Or listening to this playlist?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1xkrdebGnAUMN8Avhc5Snx?si=1ofOjFXqTwqPTS_Y-0G3xw&utm_source=copy-link

I'll admit it, for me this lineup isn't one of the stronger ones, 2020 seemed to have more for me, but I've still managed to find loads of stuff on my Clashfinder I want to see:

https://clashfinder.com/m/g2022/?user=stuartq&itin

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Have you tried looking at the Clashfinder?

https://clashfinder.com/m/g2022

Or listening to this playlist?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1xkrdebGnAUMN8Avhc5Snx?si=1ofOjFXqTwqPTS_Y-0G3xw&utm_source=copy-link

I'll admit it, for me this lineup isn't one of the stronger ones, 2020 seemed to have more for me, but I've still managed to find loads of stuff on my Clashfinder I want to see:

https://clashfinder.com/m/g2022/?user=stuartq&itin

As @stuartbert two hats says, the playlist is the way forward - pop it on shuffle for a couple of weeks once the line up is out and away you go. I'm in my 50s and have tons of great acts ready for my clashfinder which are not dance or DJ orientated.

Looking back with hindsight at 2019 is not the same as it was beforehand - that happens every year and that's one of the great beauties of being there - seeing an act have such a great festival that they reach a new and bigger audience. 

They're starting to take the piss with the price of the festival. The car parking has doubled in price in less than a decade since my first one in 2014. In that time the tickets have gone up by nearly £100. This year and this year only I can forgive it. I don't mind paying an extra £50 after the pandemic to keep it going in future... But if it keeps going the way it is, we're looking at the ticket price topping £300 in the next couple of years. Once it does that, I feel like it could begin to get to a point where it doesn't sell out.

The cost of life in general is expensive enough. I personally couldn't justify (and I imagine a lot of others would feel the same) that proce tag for a ticket to any festival, especially one where you put a deposit down before you even know a single name on the lineup. Once you add in the cost of food, drink, travel, etc a couple could be spending over £1000 for 5 days on the farm. That would pay my rent for a month.

8 hours ago, K2SO said:

They're starting to take the piss with the price of the festival. The car parking has doubled in price in less than a decade since my first one in 2014. In that time the tickets have gone up by nearly £100. This year and this year only I can forgive it. I don't mind paying an extra £50 after the pandemic to keep it going in future... But if it keeps going the way it is, we're looking at the ticket price topping £300 in the next couple of years. Once it does that, I feel like it could begin to get to a point where it doesn't sell out.

The cost of life in general is expensive enough. I personally couldn't justify (and I imagine a lot of others would feel the same) that proce tag for a ticket to any festival, especially one where you put a deposit down before you even know a single name on the lineup. Once you add in the cost of food, drink, travel, etc a couple could be spending over £1000 for 5 days on the farm. That would pay my rent for a month.

Sadly that’s the cost of living at the moment and you are right it will likely have to top £300 next year and that will start to price people out of it but gig prices have gone up something crazy post pandemic so relatively speaking it will still remain good value. I mean I looked at going to see Pet Shop Boys to prevent some clash problems and that gig alone was £95 for seats in the gods and about £115 for decent seats. If you only watched 3 or 4 big name acts over the weekend you’d get your money’s worth.  

I think we are probably in for a rough few years price wise. For me personally I would probably keep trying to do Glastonbury but it will squeeze the amount of gigs I go to and vinyl I buy.