Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

On 5/14/2022 at 1:52 PM, Twiggy553 said:

The insinuation that achieving a 50:50 split requires booking lower quality acts does strike me as being sexist.

100% agree, there are so many female acts around just now that I love. I just hope they fix the gender balance by giving good female bands/acts like Wet Leg, the Mysterines, the Big Moon, HAIM, Courtney Barnett, Phoebe Bridgers  and Sacred Paws an opportunity rather than filling it with mainstream pop like Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus. Always feel like Glastonbury should be about alternative culture and these type of artists get enough promotion elsewhere. Having said that, Lizzo played one of my favourite Glastonbury sets ever so I appreciate pop acts can be good live. Though they kind of caught her on the way up before she was a mega star.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This is one thing I never understand, nostalgia for when things were objectively worse. 

I think 'objectively worse' is a bit much. There were a few things about the 90s festivals that I think were better, and they are the festivals that made me fall in love with the place.

The diversity of the crowd seemed greater back then, I remember in 2008 - my first visit after they built the fence - it was quite noticeable that the crowd was more white than it used to be.

It was also a lot easier to get in, score, find somewhere to camp.

For sure I'd agree that it couldn't stay that way, and there are more improvements than compromises today, but it's definitely not all one way traffic.

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t remember if I’ve already said this but I’d prefer less stages if it meant you could create more camping space / fit more people into some arenas. 

I think that's something I was proposing a while back, but more so that the artists could be paid more. I think we may get your wish anyway with some of the modest cutbacks in the number of stages.

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

People always want to go back to the prime of their lives, not because things were better, but it’s whenever they felt best about themselves, which is generally when you’re young. They might think things were better but they’re just harking back to when they felt at their best. It’s why people often at some point get stuck listening to the same music from a certain era and wearing the same clothes.

And they hadn't quite appreciated how many problems existed. They were oblivious to the complexities of society. It wasn't that times were simpler so much as the people remembering those times were simpler.

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Don’t know how controversial this is... but I’ve always thought that the Acoustic tent was the wrong way round. The ground in the tent seems to slope (gently) UP towards the stage. If the entire tent was rotated 180 degrees, the ground would slope DOWN towards the stage, which would give a much better viewing experience.

Absolutely mainstream opinion that one. I'd love to understand the reasoning why they've not already tried it the other way round.

23 hours ago, Janaka said:

As much as the all thieving scousers did to to rob your tents back in the 90s, they at least brought some vibe and were entertaining to chat to at 4am. The current sanitised Glasto misses the edge of darkness that they and other "elements" 

1 hour ago, Janaka said:

Sweeping generalisations are much better these days

😒

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Absolutely mainstream opinion that one. I'd love to understand the reasoning why they've not already tried it the other way round.

The old Acoustic tent used to have tiered benches at the back 

1 hour ago, Janaka said:

Could you show me - maybe by putting the text in in bold - where I made I generalisation vs stating a fact

So everyone thieving from tents was scouse? Or all scousers are thieves. Either one seems a sweeping generalisation to me.

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

So everyone thieving from tents was scouse? Or all scousers are thieves. Either one seems a sweeping generalisation to me.

My missus said a similar thing to me - in far angrier tones - when she went for the first time, and I warned her what to expect inside on the walk to the gate. 

This was 2002 when the big fence went up to keep the ticketless out.

And when we got to the gate there was what I can only describe as a Harry Enfield sketch come to life 😀 and about 30+ gents all with *that* accent being held by security. 

Must have been a total coincidence. Or maybe they were putting the accent on for a laugh. 

Feel free to provide your own evidence to the contrary.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Janaka said:

My missus said a similar thing to me - in far angrier tones - when she went for the first time, and I warned her what to expect inside on the walk to the gate. 

This was 2002 when the big fence went up to keep the ticketless out.

And when we got to the gate there was what I can only describe as a Harry Enfield sketch come to life 😀 and about 30+ gents all with *that* accent being held by security. 

Must have been a total coincidence. Or maybe they were putting the accent on for a laugh. 

Feel free to provide your own evidence to the contrary.

I've met loads of scousers who didn't seem to be up to any mischief at the festival and plenty of rum c**ts with other, less distinctive accents. 

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've met loads of scousers who didn't seem to be up to any mischief at the festival and plenty of rum c**ts with other, less distinctive accents. 

With you on the former. Worth reiterating I’m referring to the pre-big fence years.

And like I also said, there were 1 or 2 fairly fun chats with said groups when we were all mangled and they were less edgy.

Edited by Janaka

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Can’t remember if I’ve already said this but I’d prefer less stages if it meant you could create more camping space / fit more people into some arenas. 

Wait until this year then, with the additional camping numbers - I can't remember the exact figure, was it somewhere around 5000-7000? Despite them moving pretty much all volunteers outside the perimeter, space looks like it may be restricted even further. Options for anyone getting there on Friday could be limited, especially larger groups. A wonder if this will increase the queuing numbers on the Tuesday night? The increase is common knowledge, right? I assume that's being carried over, too? Or am I misremembering the actual figure? 

23 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Wait until this year then, with the additional camping numbers - I can't remember the exact figure, was it somewhere around 5000-7000? Despite them moving pretty much all volunteers outside the perimeter, space looks like it may be restricted even further. Options for anyone getting there on Friday could be limited, especially larger groups. A wonder if this will increase the queuing numbers on the Tuesday night? The increase is common knowledge, right? I assume that's being carried over, too? Or am I misremembering the actual figure? 

You’re right - 7k additional tickets, provided they were sold as coach packages. 

With the exception of the CND sign, every additional feature that's been added to the top of the pyramid has looked gash, ditto for the recent embelishments to t'other.

...also they need to be reducing crowd numbers not increasing. Think this years gonna be noticeably overcrowded re: que times, venue capacity (more so than it already is).

On 5/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, Matt42 said:

I think this is the great thing. Glastonbury doesn’t need a quota because there’s so many female acts that Glastonbury can book.

I saw more female acts in 2019 than I saw in the 3 previous festivals combined. Majority of the artists I'm looking forward to this year are female. So the aim for 50/50 is definitely having a positive effect on the non-muso's with awful taste like myself. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Stressed about this to be honest. Coach from Liverpool so absolute earliest I can be through the gates is after midday. Thinking Pennard will be completely full, Oxylers and Paines maybe too. Was hoping for a more lively campsite than Dairy last time but not looking good. 

15 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Stressed about this to be honest. Coach from Liverpool so absolute earliest I can be through the gates is after midday. Thinking Pennard will be completely full, Oxylers and Paines maybe too. Was hoping for a more lively campsite than Dairy last time but not looking good. 

Do you have anyone in your group arriving before you that would take your tent and put it up? I've been fortunate a couple times when friends have got there much before me and they've been kind enough to help me out

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The only evidence you've provided isn't what you think it is.

It is what I think it is because it’s based on multiple first-hand experiences.

If people want to create their own conclusions and beliefs from what I’ve said and making 2 + 2 = 5 in their heads, I can’t help that. 

Edited by Janaka

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Do you have anyone in your group arriving before you that would take your tent and put it up? I've been fortunate a couple times when friends have got there much before me and they've been kind enough to help me out

Nah we’re all on coach unfortunately! Strong group of about 13 of us in 5 tents so going to be tough.