Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

33 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think this is the great thing. Glastonbury doesn’t need a quota because there’s so many female acts that Glastonbury can book.

100% agree , like i've not seen some big female/female fronted bands on the lineup (yet) like CHVRCHES, Pale Waves, Yonaka, Jade Bird etc. and it's still got some amazing talent 

Paramore are still knocking around- they could probably book Evanescence or Avril Lavigne as barely a heritage act and pull a crowd and a half , Glastonbury and Lost Village are the 2 festivals i know that can book a 50/50 lineup without having to brag about it . the talent is just there 

edit: i forgot Romy of all people as well, let alone Annie Mac and Nina Kraviz  

Edited by Obiginnaw

The implication that there’d be more top ranking female acts if women were good enough is staggeringly ignorant. The music industry as a whole has bent towards male acts for decades. Thankfully this is changing but it’s critical that space is given to demonstrating how musical excellence is not gendered. That’s why I think Emily is aiming for 50:50. It’s not equality for the sake of it, it’s to be a progressive, industry leader in ending the lie that women can’t cut it. That some people are threatened or triggered by that is very telling. They’re the people that make it so important. 

• Upvote 6

People that tie bits of rope between tents, as a way of cordoning off 'their' area, are evil and selfish. It is important to try and walk through these cordons, especially at night.

I don't have a problem with people reserving space for their friends' tents, but once their friends have arrived the bits of rope need to come down.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, scarletmist said:

People that tie bits of rope between tents, as a way of cordoning off 'their' area, are evil and selfish. It is important to try and walk through these cordons, especially at night.

I don't have a problem with people reserving space for their friends' tents, but once their friends have arrived the bits of rope need to come down.

You do realise this is the controversial opinion thread?😅

As much as the all thieving scousers did to to rob your tents back in the 90s, they at least brought some vibe and were entertaining to chat to at 4am. The current sanitised Glasto misses the edge of darkness that they and other "elements" brought.

That said I'm twice as old as I was back then. Would probably do my head in now, but being 23 again and presented with a choice of the mid-90s carnage and the current sugar-free version, the idiot I was back then would doubtless choose full-fat Glasto.

Edited by Janaka
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Janaka said:

As much as the all thieving scousers did to to rob your tents back in the 90s, they at least brought some vibe and were entertaining to chat to at 4am. The current sanitised Glasto misses the edge of darkness that they and other "elements" brought.

That said I'm twice as old as I was back then. Would probably do my head in now, but being 23 again and presented with a choice of the mid-90s carnage and the current sugar-free version, the idiot I was back then would doubtless choose full-fat Glasto.

A bit of mid 90s Glasto lawlessness always made it a different, and at times, better experience.  

They should allow at least one secret hole under the fence for a ten quid entry to the first 50 punters on Thursday - properly managed of course.

Edited by NickM45

45 minutes ago, Janaka said:

Sadly the council would have withdrawn the licence years ago if it carried on as it did... 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Sadly the council would have withdrawn the licence years ago if it carried on as it did... 

yeah 100% agree. The festival as just as good now, just …. different. My kids (13 and 16 this time next year) are prob gonna come if the ticket fairy continues to come good. I’d much rather they partied in the current environment.

53 minutes ago, MrNiceNice said:

yeah 100% agree. The festival as just as good now, just …. different. My kids (13 and 16 this time next year) are prob gonna come if the ticket fairy continues to come good. I’d much rather they partied in the current environment.

I was slightly older than than, about 17 and did go with my parents. Tbh one of them definitely saw folks selling drugs, but nothing worse than that and they were very supportive and trusting - suckers 😂

20 hours ago, Janaka said:

As I have said to a few people over the last few months, the 21 year old me was fine with the 21 year Glastonbury.

The 52 year old me is very happy with the 52 year old Glastonbury.

• Upvote 2

On 5/12/2022 at 10:52 PM, Oxtalis said:

Sound at the Pyramid Stage is awful and I prefer to watch it on the telly. 

Pretty much all big stage sound is crap, they mistake volume and bass for quality, vocals are tinny and lost in the bass.

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is one thing I never understand, nostalgia for when things were objectively worse. 

The higher chaos, randomness and anarchy are what I miss and that - subjectively - created a better festival vibe. But hey, things move on and it’s nice knowing my tent will be there when I get back.

Edited by Janaka

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's perfectly simple: things were better in the good old days.

Things were so much better when all we had was a loaf of bread, terrible job prospects, Maggie government. THE GOOD OLD DAYS.

Things were harder and it made people more sound.

Edited by Matt42

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s like when you talk to some old people about the cost of living crisis and they get a hard on for rations / times where they had no power to heat their home. 

People always want to go back to the prime of their lives, not because things were better, but it’s whenever they felt best about themselves, which is generally when you’re young. They might think things were better but they’re just harking back to when they felt at their best. It’s why people often at some point get stuck listening to the same music from a certain era and wearing the same clothes.

Don’t know how controversial this is... but I’ve always thought that the Acoustic tent was the wrong way round. The ground in the tent seems to slope (gently) UP towards the stage. If the entire tent was rotated 180 degrees, the ground would slope DOWN towards the stage, which would give a much better viewing experience.

• Upvote 3