Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

Too much of the festival has been devoted to hitting diversity quotas instead of quality. There's also too much pop and music to please the masses, resulting in abandoned sections of the festival during the daytime as everyone flocks to see nostalgia acts like Craig David, or other garbage has-beens who were never good in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Too much of the festival has been devoted to hitting diversity quotas instead of quality. There's also too much pop and music to please the masses, resulting in abandoned sections of the festival during the daytime as everyone flocks to see nostalgia acts like Craig David, or other garbage has-beens who were never good in the first place. 

So.. your problem is that Glastonbury is booking acts that a lot of people want to see?*

*Quality of said acts aside as that’s obviously a matter of opinion

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rumpola said:

The cider from The Cider Bus tastes like sour tramps piss.

I bought a box of it for the original Glasthomebury. When you’re drinking it in your own home you really you can definitely smell it when it’s coming out of you. 

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

So.. your problem is that Glastonbury is booking acts that a lot of people want to see?*

*Quality of said acts aside as that’s obviously a matter of opinion

This whole thread is a matter of opinion... I'm not the only one here who has suggested that some genres are overrepresented...

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Yeah, it was much better when they booked acts that no-one wanted to see

9 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Yes, but who, specifically, do you think is being booked for the sake of diversity over quality? You said it, so you must have some acts in mind. 

You'd have to ask Emily, she's the one who said it and books them.

16 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

You'd have to ask Emily, she's the one who said it and books them.

OK, so your ~controversial~ opinion is that it’s wrong for the festival to even try to achieve gender balance?

Because that sullies the purity of musical excellence that we could enjoy otherwise?

But you can’t name a single act who is there to make up the numbers over a more “deserving” option?

Sorry dude, that’s not a controversial opinion, it’s a garbage one. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

OK, so your ~controversial~ opinion is that it’s wrong for the festival to even try to achieve gender balance?

Because that sullies the purity of musical excellence that we could enjoy otherwise?

But you can’t name a single act who is there to make up the numbers over a more “deserving” option?

Sorry dude, that’s not a controversial opinion, it’s a garbage one. 

It's obviously a controversial one if it's so upsetting to you that you can't come up with a better argument than insults. I prefer merit over identity. Again, I'm not the one who said it, you'd have to ask Emily who she chose to book over other acts - based on chromosomes, reproductive organs etc.

Why not go all out and achieve balance of all physical or socio-economic attributes? Why even stop at gender? Why not book more disabled acts? More acts from broken homes? More acts based on their sexuality? More acts based on their class status?

Or maybe it'd be better to focus on quality of music and the content of their character.

7 minutes ago, henry bear said:

So, too many women on the bill for you. Which ones do you not think should be there, and who should replace them?

See above.

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Or maybe it'd be better to focus on quality of music and the content of their character.

The implication in your post is that there are female acts that, in your view, shouldn't have been booked - and only have been to make up a quota. So it's been put to you to provide examples of the acts.

I think that's a pretty fair and reasonable question. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's obviously a controversial one if it's so upsetting to you that you can't come up with a better argument than insults. I prefer merit over identity. Again, I'm not the one who said it, you'd have to ask Emily who she chose to book over other acts - based on chromosomes, reproductive organs etc.

Why not go all out and achieve balance of all physical or socio-economic attributes? Why even stop at gender? Why not book more disabled acts? More acts from broken homes? More acts based on their sexuality? More acts based on their class status?

See above.

You’re the one criticising the line up. It’s a simple question, but you refuse to answer. It’s not up to Emily to answer as she’s obviously delighted with who they’ve got. So, again:

Who shouldn’t be on the bill

Who would you rather was playing instead

1 minute ago, David_303 said:

The implication in your post is that there are female acts that, in your view, shouldn't have been booked - and only have been to make up a quota. So it's been put to you to provide examples of the acts.

I think that's a pretty fair and reasonable question. 

I am not the booker of the festival. The booker of the festival has said that it's important to focus on genitalia, physical differences and chromosomes. It's impossible for me to pinpoint who or which artists because I have not chosen certain bands based on those criteria. Emily has said it publicly, it's well documented. She has therefore weighed up different bands and said, okay, this one is better but they're male, so we can't have them.

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

You’re the one criticising the line up. It’s a simple question, but you refuse to answer. It’s not up to Emily to answer as she’s obviously delighted with who they’ve got. So, again:

Who shouldn’t be on the bill

Who would you rather was playing instead

I haven't been privy to the booking process. Who knows who she has chosen to book over others based on if they have the wrong chromosones/genitalia.

It's an impossible question to answer. For example, if she had to choose between Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar, who would she choose? Her ethos seems to choose T. Swift, purely based on the fact she's got the correct chromosomes. 

I haven't been privy to the booking process. Who knows who she has chosen to book over others based on if they have the wrong chromosones/genitalia.

Again, avoiding the question. You don’t have to be privy to the booking system. Who, in your opinion shouldn’t be on the bill, and who should?

Or to put it another way, which acts would you like to see at this year’s festival that aren’t booked?

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Again, avoiding the question. You don’t have to be privy to the booking system. Who, in your opinion shouldn’t be on the bill, and who should?

Or to put it another way, which acts would you like to see at this year’s festival that aren’t booked?

I'm not avoiding it. It's just a totally impossible question to answer, because I don't know who has lost out because they've got the wrong physical build. If I knew all of the bands who were maybes, but weren't chosen because they have the wrong gender, than I could answer you. Do you know what I mean?

Yeah, based on what we know there's a massive gender bias in favour of women:

Pyramid headliner - 2 male, 1 female 

Other headliner - 2 male, 1 female 

Ridiculous argument & even if it was true, maybe it's fair enough to balance up the fact that female artists haven't been given a fair crack of the whip in the past?

39 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah, based on what we know there's a massive gender bias in favour of women:

Pyramid headliner - 2 male, 1 female 

Other headliner - 2 male, 1 female 

Ridiculous argument & even if it was true, maybe it's fair enough to balance up the fact that female artists haven't been given a fair crack of the whip in the past?

No one has said that (and that sample size is tiny)... And your answer to fight perceived sexism, is for more sexism? I don't think that'll have the effect you hope for.

With that logic, there could have been some massive losses to the best headliners Glasto has had in the past. 

What examples do you have of popular, female bands, who have not performed in the past because they were women?

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Your comment was about diversity, but then your link is about gender imbalance.

Can we just clarify - was your controversial opinion about bigotry or misogyny? 

My opinion is that quotas have a negative impact in general. It's my belief that if artists are chosen on gender, race, sexuality, etc, then art becomes a secondary thought due to a need to fulfill quotas, rather than the art, merits or character of a performer. The link I added was of Emily saying that she thinks there should be a 50/50 split of genders, regardless of their merit. 

23 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

No one has said that (and that sample size is tiny)... And your answer to fight perceived sexism, is for more sexism? I don't think that'll have the effect you hope for.

With that logic, there could have been some massive losses to the best headliners Glasto has had in the past. 

What examples do you have of popular, female bands, who have not performed in the past because they were women?

OK - tiny sample size. How about, the last 7 Glastonbury pyramid headliners - male artists 18 (maybe 17 1/2 if you count Arcade Fire as a half), female artists 3 (and one of them was a late replacement for Foo Fighters). 

Is that a fair representation of the state of the music industry? Maybe it is, but I'm not the one arguing there's too many women represented!

Another argument kicked off by an account I long ago used the ignore function on.

Anyway, ignoring the pricks, here’s a controversial opinion that isn’t based in misogyny.

Radiohead 2017 was the best of their 3 headline sets, by a distance.