Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

8 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Hard disagree - it increasingly feels like it's filled with kids and I've no idea how they've got the money to go somewhere like Glastonbury. I'm in my early 30s so not really in either the 'old' or 'young' camp.

This means you're getting older. When you start to think 'everywhere's full of kids', you're old. 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not, or at least not for a few years, if it was. Since 2016, it's been a cut down version of the Pyramid PA, like W Holts, although they are configured slightly differently.

Forgot to say - a variation of which they've never had at Other, I'm reasonably confident to say.

I don’t believe the demographics of the festival are getting older. I think Glastonbury naturally skews older because it’s so good and people want to keep going. In the main people go to festivals like reading when they’re young and then eventually lose interest and grow out of it, so the demographics are younger as a result and broadly stay the same. 

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

I enjoyed that set very much, but even so, I think "flawless" may be pushing it somewhat.

In hindsight, my desire show reverence for that much maligned show may have strayed in to hyperbole.

Maybe not flawless given the very ropey rendition of Some Kind of Nature. At the time (and to this day probably) I ignored the output and just though "fuck me, that's Lou fucking Reed".

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

An interesting point, my first festival was Reading 2000, first Glastonbury was 2004. By the time I made it to Pilton I'd done three Reading/Leeds and a couple of V's. It was so massively beyond what I was expecting based on previous experiences it completely blew me away.

Never looked at another festival the same way since.

Reasonably similar,

I went to Truck Festival (back when it was very tiny) in July 1999 as my first festival, then went to Reading a month later as my first big festival, by the time I'd done another four of those each and a Download, I got to Glastonbury in June 2004 and didn't feel that it was overwhelming at all...I just recall getting lost a lot as the whole thing being in one rather than arena style that I was used to confused me somewhat.

29 minutes ago, henry bear said:

That was a very wet and muddy festival to start you off!

29 minutes ago, henry bear said:

That was a very wet and muddy festival to start you off!

It so was!  I don't think folks had seen a wet one before so in those days most just came in DMs or trainers, many without coats and some hardy souls not even a tent, on the basis that they'd sleep in the Cinema tent or party all night, which all went a bit woo 😞 

Just now, clarkete said:

It so was!  I don't think folks had seen a wet one before so in those days most just came in DMs or trainers, many without coats and some hardy souls not even a tent, on the basis that they'd sleep in the Cinema tent or party all night, which all went a bit woo 😞 

A far cry from Worthy View, Posh tipis, Lovefields, Camp Kerela etc that you have these days. 😄 

On 5/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

Can’t find the main “controversial opinions” thread, so I’ll just leave this here.

Daft Punk are one of the most overrated acts in the history of music.

DP are a USB stick act as well, aren’t they? Nowt going on but gesticulating theatrics.

Still better than Bob Vylan though. 

Edited by kalifire

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

A far cry from Worthy View, Posh tipis, Lovefields, Camp Kerela etc that you have these days. 😄 

Aye, but of course there were a fair contingent then who brought their buses, vans etc so they literally had all their home comforts with them.  There were a lot less attendees and it drew a different crowd, but amongst that crowd there were a smattering of folks from all sorts of different classes - I knew middle class locals who went but then went home at night for example.

29 minutes ago, kalifire said:

DP are a USB stick act as well, aren’t they? Nowt going on but gesticulating theatrics.

Still better than Bob Vylan though. 

Popbitch newsletter 25th Feb 2021:-
"Choosing to hang up their masks in the middle of a pandemic is a bold choice, but we can't really see why Daft Punk have bothered to retire. Part of the reason they remained so committed to the whole robot bit was precisely so that the legendarily reclusive producers didn't have to turn up to the very few occasions they were ever required to attend.

Yes, keeping those masks on meant they had to forego the odd glass of champagne at fancy industry soirées (like Jay-Z's lavish Tidal launch) but that's hardly a sacrifice when you're also able – at any time – to dress up a couple of stand-ins in the trademark robot gear, pack them off to a European festival with a pre-programmed mix and then pocket the six-figure appearance fee without anyone being any the wiser.

Why retire from such a lucrative wheeze that they could have easily continued indefinitely? Who knows? Maybe they were human after all?"

26 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

The John Peel is shit where it’s located now. I used to love the old spot, always used to get in back right where it was slightly raised so all of us short buggers could see. Feels like it’s miles away from anywhere now. 

It's actually closer to the Pyramid and Other now.

21 hours ago, e_p said:

That is controversial.  
although I love that glade very much, I don’t rate this years line up at all

But? Gong and System 7? Steve Hillage is back maaaan (I do wish they'd get Nigel Planer as Neil to introduce him one year :)). And Cassette Boy has become a bit of a Sunday lunchtime ritual.

But see below:

20 hours ago, tazbang said:

The demographic of the festival is getting too old. 

Personally I wish the line up reflected this supposed demographic.

I honestly don't recognise about 90%+ of the names announced so far. Where is all of the Dad Rock? Whatever happened to (dare I say it) the old "It's All White Boys With Guitars", cliche?

Butlins Weekenders have better line ups than most tents these days.

• Like 1

Kendrick Lamar sounds like a duck laying a dozen eggs. Yeah, his lyrics are interesting and some of the music is good, but, man how do you get over that voice?

I know this opinion will be unpopular on here, especially today, but that's what this thread is for, right?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The line-up is a lot less musically diverse than people say it is. By my count, and obviously its not perfect coz I don't know everyone that's playing, there's a lot of indie, pop, rock, techno, d&b and house. There's always bit of psytrance, some breaks, a bit of breakcore if i'm lucky, various other microgenres of generally UK-centric dance. Obviously this is not an exhaustive list. But overall some absolute behemoths of musical genres are badly represented - US hip hop, dancehall, metal, jazz, punk. There are bits and pieces of these around, but not a lot, and without going into detail the stuff they do book in these genres often fits into a particular mold. Some more niche genres are also overlooked - ambient, experimental, noise, everything covered in The Wire. Looking this year I see almost no drill, as in previous years there was never any road rap, and no amapiano either, though for all of that I might just not know the artists on the bill who play it.

In general Glastonbury isn't that interested in pushing musical boundaries and tends to play it a bit safe. No-one ever agrees with me about this, but I still think I'm right. It's very rare that I'm wandering around glasto and hear something that feels new to me. I'd love it if it was different, but the reason they tend to be a bit conservative is probably that they know what their audience likes, which is fair enough. It works. 

Edited by diningroomchairstorage
  • Upvote 2