Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

Getting to sets early is almost completely pointless and I can’t believe how many people seem to waste their time doing it.

To continue the Paul Heaton pile on, I’ve seen people saying they’ll get there a few hours early for him. What a ridiculous way to spend some peak hours* of the festival.

*by which I mean 7-10ish, not seeing him at headline time, which is fine if you’re into him

49 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Getting to sets early is almost completely pointless and I can’t believe how many people seem to waste their time doing it.

To continue the Paul Heaton pile on, I’ve seen people saying they’ll get there a few hours early for him. What a ridiculous way to spend some peak hours* of the festival.

*by which I mean 7-10ish, not seeing him at headline time, which is fine if you’re into him

If you mean so they can get down the front/to the barrier then I agree.

People actually sit though acts they're not fussed about so that they can be 1 metre closer to the stage. 

People shouldn't attend Glastonbury as their first festival.

It is too vast and can be slightly overwhelming even as a seasoned festival attendee. Plus it will ruin all other festivals for you as you will make constant comparisons or feel underwhelmed.

Only after attending smaller scale ones such as R&L or Creamfields etc or even day festivals can you truly appreciate how incredible Glastonbury is and all the work that goes into making it the best.

I think going to Glastonbury as your first festival is like going on a 12 month round the world trip without ever having drizzly caravan holidays / Butlins / 18-30s holiday to [Insert holiday party island here].

That isn't to say I want to gatekeep Glastonbury or that there is anything wrong with the holidays listed above btw. I'm no snob.

• Upvote 3

a good point i think, and not particularly controversial. I wanted to go to glastonbury as a 17yr old in the late nineties, but with no mates who wanted to go with me, and i didnt have the wherewithal to go on my own at the time, i think i might have irrevocably broken every other festival if i'd gone then! As it was i managed to work my way up with Big Day Out in australia, Reading festival and the much maligned V, so i had at least an inkling of what was to come. When i first walked up to gate C in 05, i instantly knew this was bigger, better, just more of everything. 

I'm quite happy to attend other festivals now of course, the recipe of outdoors/music/fields/fun is pretty much always appealing! but i recognise that they all come below Glastonbury in terms of Bigness 😄

21 minutes ago, nikkic said:

If you mean so they can get down the front/to the barrier then I agree.

People actually sit though acts they're not fussed about so that they can be 1 metre closer to the stage. 

That’s what I mean yeah. Loads of time wasted for so little gain.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Going from the love shared in the Acoustic thread I may be alone here.

Paul Heaton has been responsible for many against popular . His insipid, twee melodies and "look at me, aren't I clever" lyrics are capable of melting your teeth quicker than a 2 litre of Mexican Coke with added sugar. 

It's taken a good few years, but you've finally happened upon a musical opinion with which I can agree.

39 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Gorillaz in 2010 were absolutely fantastic. Flawless performance. Loved every second.

I enjoyed that set very much, but even so, I think "flawless" may be pushing it somewhat.

• Upvote 1

I'm with you gherring8 and Balti Pie. I went to a lot of (continental) festival in my 20s, and then on to Glastonbury which just blew my mind. I still go to smaller festivals and they can be great, and less exhausting (thank you best kept secret for basically being the equivalent for me living in Shepton Mallet and driving daily) , but nothing compares. 

Edited by moogster

25 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

It is too vast and can be slightly overwhelming even as a seasoned festival attendee. Plus it will ruin all other festivals for you as you will make constant comparisons or feel underwhelmed.

Only after attending smaller scale ones such as R&L or Creamfields etc or even day festivals can you truly appreciate how incredible Glastonbury is and all the work that goes into making it the best.

I think going to Glastonbury as your first festival is like going on a 12 month round the world trip without ever having drizzly caravan holidays / Butlins / 18-30s holiday to [Insert holiday party island here].

That isn't to say I want to gatekeep Glastonbury or that there is anything wrong with the holidays listed above btw. I'm no snob.

An interesting point, my first festival was Reading 2000, first Glastonbury was 2004. By the time I made it to Pilton I'd done three Reading/Leeds and a couple of V's. It was so massively beyond what I was expecting based on previous experiences it completely blew me away.

Never looked at another festival the same way since.

26 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Glastonbury was my first festival at 19. I had a great time and it actually mad me appreciate the many smaller 5000ish capacity festival in the years that followed.

33 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

My wife went to Glastonbury 2016 as her first festival and didn't like it- too big, and no doable for her in shit weather. She's since been to 2000 Trees several times and loves it because it's so much smaller and caters more to her taste in music

Not sure if that proves or disproves your point tbh!

56 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

I went to Glastonbury at 17 in 1985 and haven't been to other festivals since (other than the odd day "festival" here or there).

I'm happy with my choice, it's my big birthday/festival/party of every year.  I've never had an issue appreciating it.

I think just wandering around is a pretty bad way to spend time at the festival. Perhaps it's just my personal style, but whenever I've just decided to have a stroll and see what's what, I've usually ended up just a) walking miles b) not seen anything particularly good because I was wandering aimlessly and not to a particular area.

I think a slight modification of: wander to a specific area/tent without any knowledge and see what's what on the way, that I think works well but true aimless wondering is mostly wasted time. There's a lot of chat about "magic moments", but the reality is that the majority of the festival is a noisy, busy bunch of markets and people ramming past following their clashfinder routes, there's very little actual peace to be had. I think it really depends a lot on the time of day, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Going from the love shared in the Acoustic thread I may be alone here.

Paul Heaton has been responsible for many crimes against popular music. His insipid, twee melodies and "look at me, aren't I clever" lyrics are capable of melting your teeth quicker than a 2 litre bottle of Mexican Coke with added sugar. 

Agreed, don't like the man.

2 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Hard disagree - it increasingly feels like it's filled with kids and I've no idea how they've got the money to go somewhere like Glastonbury. I'm in my early 30s so not really in either the 'old' or 'young' camp.

Hate to be the one to break it to you pal but that feeling that it's increasingly filled with kids is because you are in fact getting old. 

• Upvote 2

Live and Let Die sits just above the Frog Chorus and Mull of Kintyre in the McCartney canon and below everything else he's written.  It sounds like three or four totally unconnected snippets of separate songs randomly bolted together.

Never understood the love.

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I have agreed with you at a couple of sets in the past, but the Cure in 2019 the sound was absolutely jawdroppingly good. I felt like i could lean out a hand and almost grab the bass thrum right out of the air. I think a lot depends on where you are in the field. 

i think the best sound is in the JP, i got talking to a tech fella a couple of years back who told me that the set-up there used to be the Other stage set-up, so its massively overtooled for the JP tent and thats why it sounds so big and massive. Dunno if its true, this was just before seeing DJ Shadow which is always going to be sonically amazing!  

It's not, or at least not for a few years, if it was. Since 2016, it's been a cut down version of the Pyramid PA, like W Holts, although they are configured slightly differently.