Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

On 5/4/2022 at 8:13 PM, Mardy said:

I thought Bob Vylan was comfortably the worst fucking music I'd ever heard in my life when I gave it a go this morning. Like the worst bits of 1990s pseudo-counterculture had eaten some dodgy prawns and decided to do an aural shit in my ears. Making the Sleaford Mods seem like Albert Camus fronting Bach. Really, in a lifetime of disappointment, that was a new low.

Then this afternoon I clicked on a PartyBoi 69 clip...

In an ironic twist - your post sounds like Bob Vylan doing a track of himself. 

Glastonbury is too big to ever feel completely satisfied and like you’re doing it right. Whatever acts you choose to see often involves a sacrifice. For example you want to see the legend slot, if you want a good spot it involves getting there early, if you’re in a big group that takes a lot of organising to get everyone there. It can more or less take 3 hours out of your day, during which time you could be doing many other things. Alternatively turn up later and get a crap spot and sacrifice your enjoyment of it a bit. 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, Beergirl said:

Beerqueen, will you be my mum?

Happy to be an adoptive mum during the festival (though an irresponsible one)!  When I saw that I had a notification from someone called Beergirl I did think "is she my daughter"?  See  you at the efests meet for a beer then?

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Taking note of the Primal Scream thread, I like Country Girl and think it's a bit of a banger. 

I'm also fully self-aware my taste in music is hideous however this feels like a fitting opinion for this thread. 

I saw Primal Scream in Reading festival when Country Girl first came out and, yes, I loved it.

Saying that, my music taste is hideous too so apologies for watering down your controversial options.

40 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Happy to be an adoptive mum during the festival (though an irresponsible one)!  When I saw that I had a notification from someone called Beergirl I did think "is she my daughter"?  See  you at the efests meet for a beer then?

I might be pushing it with "girl" to be fair, but aparently beerqueen was already taken 😉 Although I guess everyone could do with a glasto mum sometimes! See you there for a beer!

31 minutes ago, Beergirl said:

I might be pushing it with "girl" to be fair, but aparently beerqueen was already taken 😉 Although I guess everyone could do with a glasto mum sometimes! See you there for a beer!

I think you'll find that "girl" does not have an upper age limit.  And mum, friend, sister, drinking buddy.  All OK.  Beer's the thing.

37 minutes ago, AnonAnon said:

You shouldn't be allowed to headline the pyramid stage if you have less than 4 full length albums released, as you could play your entire recorded catalogue and still need to pad it out to fill the time.  

This was particularly evident with Sheeran, Mumford & Stormzy, who are chancers.

And Radiohead in 1997. A patchy set after only three records.

1 hour ago, AnonAnon said:

A snooze in the acoustic tent, with an ale from the nearby bar, and a cake from the bakers at the bottom of the field, is as wild and pleasurable a way to spend an hour in Glasto as anything else.

Absolutely nothing controversial about this. Did exactly that, albeit with tea instead of ale, on a Sunday afternoon to the London Community Gospel Choir. Outstanding way to spend some time.

Just now, Quark said:

Absolutely nothing controversial about this. Did exactly that, albeit with tea instead of ale, on a Sunday afternoon to the London Community Gospel Choir. Outstanding way to spend some time.

That sounds absolutely amazing. 

11 hours ago, Bradders said:

Agreed. I’ve only been there once for Jon Hopkins but felt all those issues in that visit, didn’t stay to the end even though he was great.

The lineup rarely appeals too. Dance music’s equivalent of the Acoustic.

ha love that quote....it perfectly sums up the Glade and will forever be my descriptor.  

Going from the love shared in the Acoustic thread I may be alone here.

Paul Heaton has been responsible for many crimes against popular music. His insipid, twee melodies and "look at me, aren't I clever" lyrics are capable of melting your teeth quicker than a 2 litre bottle of Mexican Coke with added sugar. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Paul Heaton has been responsible for many crimes against popular music. His insipid, twee melodies and "look at me, aren't I clever" lyrics are capable of melting your teeth quicker than a 2 litre bottle of Mexican Coke with added sugar. 

He should be exiled for "Perfect 10", alone.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:22 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ok then. How about...

Flags, although inconvenient to a large section of the audience, are in intrinsic part of the festival's aesthetic/unique brand image and that's one of the main reasons why they've not been banned

I personally love the flags. Being a short arse I can't see anything anyway so it makes no difference to me! 

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

🤜🤛

He seems like a nice fella, the 'thousand quid in a load of pubs for me birthday' thing, but ive long hated the housemartins/beautiful south (just that guitar lick at the start of 'Perfect 10' is enough to make me want to punch a wall, ugh the lyrics are sickmaking) and there's no way on earth i'd want to see him play live anywhere ever. 

Just now, balti-pie said:

🤜🤛

He seems like a nice fella, the 'thousand quid in a load of pubs for me birthday' thing, but ive long hated the housemartins/beautiful south (just that guitar lick at the start of 'Perfect 10' is enough to make me want to punch a wall, ugh the lyrics are sickmaking) and there's no way on earth i'd want to see him play live anywhere ever. 

He does indeed seem like a lovely bloke. It almost makes me feel bad for how I feel about his music. Almost.

12 hours ago, Oxtalis said:

Sound at the Pyramid Stage is awful and I prefer to watch it on the telly. 

I have agreed with you at a couple of sets in the past, but the Cure in 2019 the sound was absolutely jawdroppingly good. I felt like i could lean out a hand and almost grab the bass thrum right out of the air. I think a lot depends on where you are in the field. 

i think the best sound is in the JP, i got talking to a tech fella a couple of years back who told me that the set-up there used to be the Other stage set-up, so its massively overtooled for the JP tent and thats why it sounds so big and massive. Dunno if its true, this was just before seeing DJ Shadow which is always going to be sonically amazing!