Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

Controversial opinions: I guess I’m a miserable party pooper but there’s nothing more boring than people taking big piles of drugs.
Their behavior, their conversation, the aftermath, the enthusiasm for terrible music for hour upon hour, the heads down tunnel vision for more drugs, just everything really. Tiresome shite. I think cocaine is the primary target for my ire (oh god, being stuck in the same place as a load of cokeheads really is infuriating, it really might be the worst thing about football these days) but stoners really aren’t very much more enlightening. 

admittedly I do work in the area of psychiatry so I regularly deal with the immediate aftermath of people who have destroyed their mental health via drugs, acutely and over long term, and i think I’m a bit fed up of it. The escapism and people wanting to divorce themselves from reality is just really sad. I recognise it’s each to their own, people can find their own poison, but when it’s genuinely killing them and still they crack on . . . 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

Another controversial opinion. I think the whole SE corner is vastly overrated. Crowded, dickheads, attention seekers, a lot of crap music, and people going "wow, it looks so post apocalyptic, what a great time I'm having. I'm going to tell everyone that I had such a great night" even though they didn't, and now they have covid and are down £300 worth of Glasto ticket and wished they'd spent their time doing something that was actually engaging and not just 'facades and shouting'. Tip: do lots of drugs if you're going to the SE corner. That's the best way to get something out of it if you're not a complete simpleton.

This is a safe place to get things off our chests, isn't it? No judgement?

Not all crap music, but mostly acurate lolz

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Now that is the most controversial thing anyone has said on here.

Ahaha nah I really thought so at the time, I remember saying so to my mate. He disagreed but is a huge huge Stones fan. Do people not think Primal Scream were amazing then?

38 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

think cocaine is the primary target for my ire (oh god, being stuck in the same place as a load of cokeheads really is infuriating, it really might be the worst thing about football these days)

That’s spot on, where I sit at the football there’s a guy nearby who freely admits he does coke just pre game and he is the biggest pain all match, hyper, crazy opinions and aggressive. Seems to be a growing trend at games. Hopefully I’m going to move seats next season. 

9 minutes ago, alframsey said:

Ahaha nah I really thought so at the time, I remember saying so to my mate. He disagreed but is a huge huge Stones fan. Do people not think Primal Scream were amazing then?

I thought they were terrible. Gillespie spent the entire set stomping round in a massive fucking strop.

2 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

Another controversial opinion. I think the whole SE corner is vastly overrated. Crowded, dickheads, attention seekers, a lot of crap music, and people going "wow, it looks so post apocalyptic, what a great time I'm having. I'm going to tell everyone that I had such a great night" even though they didn't, and now they have covid and are down £300 worth of Glasto ticket and wished they'd spent their time doing something that was actually engaging and not just 'facades and shouting'. Tip: do lots of drugs if you're going to the SE corner. That's the best way to get something out of it if you're not a complete simpleton.

This is a safe place to get things off our chests, isn't it? No judgement?

Yeah, but if you do do the drugs, then it is pretty good - apparently.

10 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The veganism goes hand in hand with the support of Greenpeace, if you want to save the planet and stop climate change then going vegan is the easiest and best thing anyone can do to achieve that.

There are many things that will help, eating less meat is definitely one, but not the be all and end all. It is neither easy nor the best thing. I do wonder how vegans and environmentalists  feel about being at a festival on a dairy farm, a huge part of an industry that does massively contribute to climate change and has some seriously sketchy practices  

and let’s not forget if everyone went vegan there’s a lot of rainforests and other natural habitat that would get destroyed in order to grow the food for everyone to eat.

what will actually dramatically affect climate change is a massive population decrease, there’s too many people on planet Earth no matter what they eat, if people really want to do their bit they need to stop having so many children.

in reality no one thing will solve climate change, everyone has to make small changes to their lives and big industry needs to be held to account. It’s probably too late now anyway.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I watched Encanto with my kids earlier and now I’m demanding the soundtrack is performed in full on the Pyramid.

Here's a serious idea - they should keep trying out different kinds of performance. There was the time they tried the Ring Cycle on the Pyramid and it was a massive flop, but I wish they would keep trying other kinds of classical or theatrical performance. Imagine War of The Worlds or Hans Zimmer. Maybe even put on a full on musical!  There are so, so many stages - there's potential for so much variety. Why not go beyond the 45 min slot unless you're a headliner or DJ? Mix things up a bit.

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

There are many things that will help, eating less meat is definitely one, but not the be all and end all. It is neither easy nor the best thing. I do wonder how vegans and environmentalists  feel about being at a festival on a dairy farm, a huge part of an industry that does massively contribute to climate change and has some seriously sketchy practices  

and let’s not forget if everyone went vegan there’s a lot of rainforests and other natural habitat that would get destroyed in order to grow the food for everyone to eat.

what will actually dramatically affect climate change is a massive population decrease, there’s too many people on planet Earth no matter what they eat, if people really want to do their bit they need to stop having so many children.

in reality no one thing will solve climate change, everyone has to make small changes to their lives and big industry needs to be held to account. It’s probably too late now anyway.

Sounds a lot like whataboutery to me, and none of what you’ve said is remotely true, not eating meat is as easy as simply not eating meat. Where do you think the food is grown to feed the animals humans eat? It takes 32x the Soya to generate the same calorific content from a cow than just eating the Soya in the first place. All that Soya has to be grown somewhere, so not only are rain forests destroyed to graze cows until they’re old enough to be eaten, much more additional rainforest is destroyed just to grow the food needed to feed them.

Eating meat is a massively inefficient and resource intensive way to consume food, if everyone went vegan there would be room to spare to grow everything needed in the space we currently grow food to feed the animals we slaughter. Think about it logically.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Here's a serious idea - they should keep trying out different kinds of performance. There was the time they tried the Ring Cycle on the Pyramid and it was a massive flop, but I wish they would keep trying other kinds of classical or theatrical performance. Imagine War of The Worlds or Hans Zimmer. Maybe even put on a full on musical!  There are so, so many stages - there's potential for so much variety. Why not go beyond the 45 min slot unless you're a headliner or DJ? Mix things up a bit.

Why not? The first few acts on the Pyramid each day are mostly filler. Why not give those slots over to something more interesting?

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Controversial opinions: I guess I’m a miserable party pooper but there’s nothing more boring than people taking big piles of drugs.
Their behavior, their conversation, the aftermath, the enthusiasm for terrible music for hour upon hour, the heads down tunnel vision for more drugs, just everything really. Tiresome shite. I think cocaine is the primary target for my ire (oh god, being stuck in the same place as a load of cokeheads really is infuriating, it really might be the worst thing about football these days) but stoners really aren’t very much more enlightening. 

admittedly I do work in the area of psychiatry so I regularly deal with the immediate aftermath of people who have destroyed their mental health via drugs, acutely and over long term, and i think I’m a bit fed up of it. The escapism and people wanting to divorce themselves from reality is just really sad. I recognise it’s each to their own, people can find their own poison, but when it’s genuinely killing them and still they crack on . . . 

In 2017 I spent time with a group like this - hoovering shit up their nose from the minute they woke. They were empty vessels by Sunday. 
However, tactical usage in moderation has its benefits. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Why not? The first few acts on the Pyramid each day are mostly filler. Why not give those slots over to something more interesting?

They already give a lot the early slots over to "interesting" acts: the Malian musicians, the Syrian Refugee Orchestra, the English National Ballet commemorating WWI and the Michael Clark Company tribute to Bowie all spring to mind from recent years.

5 hours ago, Homer said:

I used to take this approach too. I couldn't see the point of missing bands in the day in order to stay up dancing around to Queen at the wine bar with my mates. However, the night part of the festival has got so good now that I somewhat bizarrely take way more class As at the fest than I did 20-odd years ago.

I will hear nothing against the unbelievable night life of the festival, couldn't agree more. Spend your time there, see things, have fun THEN if you must see sunset from the stones, head up there in time. Sat on damp grass, nos going off every nanosecond? Not for me 😄

Personally I have little interest in watching pensioners rocking away so I personally think Rock bands need to give it up once they hit 70.

Yes, that includes the Stones, The Who and Paul McCartney.

Give it up, stand aside,the party’s over lads 

For balance I must declare that I will be watching Kiss at Download this year but this applies to them too.

Edited by rivalschools.price

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

Personally I have little interest in watching pensioners rocking away so I personally think Rock bands need to give it up once they hit 70.

Yes, that includes the Stones, The Who and Paul McCartney.

Give it up, stand aside,the party’s over lads 

For balance I must declare that I will be watching Kiss at Download this year but this applies to them too.

Seems harsh as a blanket thing. By all accounts Elton is still killing it at his recent gigs, for example. And you’ve got to respect Macca keeping going for another decade after being mauled for how his voice sounded during the London 2012 Opening Ceremony.

That said The Who definitely don’t need to play Glastonbury ever again. 

12 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, another controversial one is if anyone wants to watch football at the festival.

For some reason it’s fine to go to Glastonbury and go to a cinema or circus or  poetry reading or…or…or..

But the second anyone wants to spend an hour and a half of the 120 hours they are on site watching football then you get the ‘why do you want to come to Glastonbury and watch football?’ comments.

If someone wants to go to a bar/field/huddle round an iPhone and watch football and I don’t, I just go to a different field where there’s no football.

As a cinephile, I also think the cinema is pretty stupid to be honest. Probs watch about 5 films a week on average, couldn’t imagine watching one at Glastonbury.

9 hours ago, balti-pie said:

As someone 15 years or so sober I have to agree. But I also have to add really shit faced people too. Good God they can be tedious at times. And I'm not some sanctimonious ex drinker who thinks everyone should do as I do. Crack on. Do what you want. Get as fucked up as you want (I certainly used to). But fuck me they can be dull at times. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1