Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The veganism goes hand in hand with the support of Greenpeace, if you want to save the planet and stop climate change then going vegan is the easiest and best thing anyone can do to achieve that.

I support Greenpeace and I’m not a vegan! 

3 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

1,People are quick to judge how others spend their festivals

2, Glastonbury can show the best and worst of people.

Some people can be real dicks in 2009 my first glastonbury I had managed to bugger both my knees believe my cartridge had gone, a few weeks before and got to the point at the festival I couldn't lift my foot to high. Making my way across the pyramid field I manged to knock over someone's drinks not just one but 3 or 4 that were in a holder I dreaded to think about what just about to happen and started to get my wallet out to pay for replacements hpping to not get moaned at , the young guy turned round to me and honestly couldn't of been nicer said it was an accident  and refused to take my money and wished me a good rest of the festival. 

2009 was the year Jackson died and for me this was a loss so when passing the guardian stall I picked up the newspaper and sat down near the pyramid stage to read about the tributes etc, midway through some (forgive me for stereotyping) new age hippy come and asked me if I was enjoying my paper I answered yes he then proceeded to shout at me that I was at Glastonbury and reading a fucking paper and that I should a get a life, this left me feeling a bit shit and maybe I was at the wrong place and not doing it correctly whatever it was. 

I have never understood the need to berate others for how they choose to do their festival if to them standing at the pyramid stage to get on tv or never exploring means they had the time of the thier lives fair play and I'm made up for them.

I understand the frustration of knowing they could explore but live and let live I say.

Rant over 

Yeah, another controversial one is if anyone wants to watch football at the festival.

For some reason it’s fine to go to Glastonbury and go to a cinema or circus or  poetry reading or…or…or..

But the second anyone wants to spend an hour and a half of the 120 hours they are on site watching football then you get the ‘why do you want to come to Glastonbury and watch football?’ comments.

If someone wants to go to a bar/field/huddle round an iPhone and watch football and I don’t, I just go to a different field where there’s no football.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’ve also been berated for “not doing Glastonbury properly” when I dared to get a bit of shut eye on the Wednesday afternoon in the green futures field. A girl behind me said, loudly: “imagine coming to Glastonbury and just going to sleep”.  

I wonder if sleeping face down in my own piss would have met her lofty ideals? 

Unfortunately she wasn't there to tell me and all I had for comfort was a blanket of shame. 

Edited by clarkete

7 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I wonder if sleeping face down in my own piss would have met her lofty ideals? 

Unfortunately she wasn't there to tell me and all I had for comfort was a blanket of shame. 

I'm sure she'd have shared an Opinion about that as well. I'll avoid making stereotypical judgements, except to say - she was wearing Hunter boots, in the bright sunshine.

On 4/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, siblin said:

I was also going to say this.  Also Radiohead in 2017 we’re meh and we left half way through.

I personally thought that Radiohead were the best headliner I saw that weekend. 

On 4/15/2022 at 9:41 AM, Melm00 said:

I don't fit in at The Park. I'm a grey haired 46 year old. This year will be my 16th Glastonbury & while I like The Park I feel like all the young beautiful people are there & I feel like a tourist. I also feel like everyone's mum. (It's also what makes Glastonbury so good -  accommodating everyone's tastes, not staying the same, constantly changing). 

Fat mid 40's and spend a large chunk of my time by The Park and never felt out of place their once. I'm sure there are lots of beautiful people there but I have never noticed them more so at The Park than anywhere else.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, Beerqueen said:

I tend to agree.  In my own notes on bands, artists etc I might be quite blunt and say things like "generic, singer/guitarist", "whiney, nasal voice" or "sounds flat".  Or worse.  But I don't say this publicly as I always think that the person may google themselves and find it and be hurt.  Especially up and coming acts.  So I might say something like "not my thing" about them but that's it.  

Yep I do my very best not to do this either. Doesn't mean I don't have strong opinions I just think they are best kept for conversations amongst friends rather than somewhere public where they could be seen by the artist. 

On 4/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

But I can still call the singer of c******y a c**t in the pub, right?

You absolutely can do that and I think that's fairly healthy although I do prefer to spend my time talking about the things I love instead. 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, irnkrtn said:

My most controversial take is its better to go to bed early, fall asleep to the blissful sound of late night festival, and get up for sunrise at the Stone Circle. Much much better than fighting sleep, freezing your tits off having your ear chewed off by a random new friend high on a lot of things other than life and trudging back to your tent to then wake up an hour later cause its too warm to sleep. 

I held this opinion also at 18, I just lacked the confidence to live my truth 😄

Yep I am an early morning Glastonbury person. I have rarely done late night Glastonbury an hour or 2 post headliners at most. Morning are the quietest time of day. I have my pick of where to eat breakfast and enjoy seeing it at its most peaceful. 

39 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'm sure she'd have shared an Opinion about that as well. I'll avoid making stereotypical judgements, except to say - she was wearing Hunter boots, in the bright sunshine.

If she did I would thankfully have long since forgotten, there are some upsides to poor memory. 

I can't be judgemental about the boots, as my partner has hunters too - but tbh that's just cos they come in a good range of colours. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I’ve also been berated for “not doing Glastonbury properly” when I dared to get a bit of shut eye on the Wednesday afternoon in the green futures field. A girl behind me said, loudly: “imagine coming to Glastonbury and just going to sleep”. 

Imagine going to Glastonbury and shouting at somebody else for not doing Glastonbury in the way they think you should. Dickheads. 

It's a week long, you have to sleep at some time! 

On 4/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, irnkrtn said:

My most controversial take is its better to go to bed early, fall asleep to the blissful sound of late night festival, and get up for sunrise at the Stone Circle. Much much better than fighting sleep, freezing your tits off having your ear chewed off by a random new friend high on a lot of things other than life and trudging back to your tent to then wake up an hour later cause its too warm to sleep. 

I held this opinion also at 18, I just lacked the confidence to live my truth 😄

I used to take this approach too. I couldn't see the point of missing bands in the day in order to stay up dancing around to Queen at the wine bar with my mates. However, the night part of the festival has got so good now that I somewhat bizarrely take way more class As at the fest than I did 20-odd years ago.

8 hours ago, jimmillen said:

So if you’re just out for a wild night, some flavour of dance will probably serve as an acceptable soundtrack. Other genres - or a totally different experience like Cineramageddon - are much more niche. 

I’m pretty sure every City in the UK has a sticky floor student indie club playing oasis, killers, foo fighters etc. Baggy Mondays are always a big hit on the Thursday, i’m surprised the only real night option is still dance music.

Another controversial opinion. I think the whole SE corner is vastly overrated. Crowded, dickheads, attention seekers, a lot of crap music, and people going "wow, it looks so post apocalyptic, what a great time I'm having. I'm going to tell everyone that I had such a great night" even though they didn't, and now they have covid and are down £300 worth of Glasto ticket and wished they'd spent their time doing something that was actually engaging and not just 'facades and shouting'. Tip: do lots of drugs if you're going to the SE corner. That's the best way to get something out of it if you're not a complete simpleton.

This is a safe place to get things off our chests, isn't it? No judgement?

8 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Another controversial opinion. I think the whole SE corner is vastly overrated. Crowded, dickheads, attention seekers, a lot of crap music, and people going "wow, it looks so post apocalyptic, what a great time I'm having. I'm going to tell everyone that I had such a great night" even though they didn't, and now they have covid and are down £300 worth of Glasto ticket and wished they'd spent their time doing something that was actually engaging and not just 'facades and shouting'. Tip: do lots of drugs if you're going to the SE corner. That's the best way to get something out of it if you're not a complete simpleton.

I’m starting to wonder why you come to Glasto tbh!! 

20 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

My feelings exactly. I mean I've only tried a night there once, at my first festival in 2014, and I felt I was just in one continuous one way traffic jam until I eventually escaped. Been to 4 festivals now and mostly can't remember what I do most nights post headliner, but what should I be doing? Is Silver Hayes an option? Spike has always been good but I can't remember much else!

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I watched Encanto with my kids earlier and now I’m demanding the soundtrack is performed in full on the Pyramid.

I think I’ve seen the film 20 times and listened to ‘surface pressure’ and ‘we don’t talk about Bruno’ another 20 times on Alexa, my kids love it. I’ve never been on the barrier on the pyramid but would be if they did this.