Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

30 minutes ago, tumbles said:

I don't think its the taking Kids to the festival. As say would love to take mine, but if you take them you have to accept its a totally different festival.  Raving it up in the SEC at 2am while your kid is in a pushchair is not on for me. 

Yes if it was me I would accept it would be very different. You don't even find me in SEC at 2am so I don't know what goes on down there but having read various rock star biographies maybe those people are just raising the next generation of people who will be entertaining us on the Pyramid stage one day. 

I have felt some of the opinions on here border on I wouldn't bring my kids and I don't think anyone else should either so I was just offering the alternative view. 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:10 AM, Obiginnaw said:

Kylie was awful (please don’t mob me) 

Legends has become too cheesy for me and taking that approach really limits who they can have and probably the reason ELO completely flopped as people just expect cheese from that spot on the line up now.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:14 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They let too many people in on a Sunday.

You could argue they let too many people in for the duration of the festival

10 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Off topic but my niece went to see Oasis twice.  First time hit on the head by a bottle, carted off to hospital, missed the gig.  Second time, someone crowd surfing, kicked her in the head, carted off to hospital, missed gig.

There are certain bands that even though I quite like their music I don't go and see them. My thing for this tends to be the more the lead singer resembles a monkey the less likely I am to watch them. 

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Totally agree (as I’ve made my feelings clear in the other thread 😂) Arcadia is great and all, but for me it’s lost it’s novelty value now. It’s been around in its current incarnation for years, and for 3 days at every festival. Of course it’s impressive in its own right, but how many times do people want to keep seeing the same thing. Everything at Glastonbury evolves over time and is eventually replaced, aside from a few specific things.

Lets face it, the people behind Arcadia agreed with the above and thought it was time for a change, hence buying a huge crane to replace the spider with. And again, let’s face it, their track record with their instillations isn’t exactly bad is it, I mean the spider is a lot more impressive than the afterburner isn’t it?

So I trust them to have evolved something better and more impressive over the years with Pangea (like they have with everything they’ve done since they’ve been around). I get that planning issues may make it difficult, but placing that to one side I struggle with the attitude of wanting to stick with the same thing we’ve had for years, over something new that would change over time and potentially end up better given the chance. To me that’s stifling creativity.

I think if you extrapolate that attitude across the rest of Glastonbury you wouldn’t have the brilliant festival you’ve got today, just the same things in the same places never changing just in case they aren’t as good.

Couldn't agree more. The spider was amazing but things need to move on or they stagnate and lose their appeal. Lots of talk on here that the spider is 100% coming back, which would be a huge shame in my eyes. I'll be keeping an eye on the webcam as I suspect we'll get our first glimpse of what is happening with that area ahead of any area announcement (I guess if the map comes soon it will give us an idea).

I also don't understand the planning issue, the pyramid is a much bigger eyesore than what is left of pangea. They even painted it green to blend in!

On 4/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, faymondo said:

Brothers Cider was a let down. When I finally went there its just a cider with flavouring added like a soda stream.

The build up to it was much more than the actual product. 

The first time I had it, it was mind blowing because I'd never had Rekorderlig or Kopparberg. Now if you want a flavoured fruit cider there are so many better options.

29 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Well yeah, my opinion on those lyrics is exactly the same. I think it's worth adding both of those songs were written in the mid 60s though.

Whatever way you want to look at it though, just giving other examples doesn't exactly rebute my point.

Well it does rebute(refute? rebut?) your point if you don't have an issue with those more traditional (whiter) acts playing. So unless you don't think Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Foster the People, etc, etc shouldn't play then you don't have a problem with violent or crass lyrics you have a problem with rap music.

20 hours ago, NoBuses said:

I could be a killer, gonna get you whacked
One, two, three, four, five in the back 

That's a lyric by Inhaler but you don't see anyone complaining. Really hate when people cherry pick music lyrics to try and make a point over a genre they dislike

It's not cherry picking lyrics to attack a genre. Would be far more productive to provide me with an argument as to why I should maybe reconsider my opinion on the lyrics, rather than assume its an attack on the genre as a whole. The whole "well they did it too" argument isn't up to much...

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the Beatles.

Edited by TheDayman

22 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

On the Saturday of 2014 a mate of ours got separated from the rest of us in the late-afternoon, we tried calling him several times, just went straight to voicemail and got nothing so just assumed he'd gone back to his campervan for a rest/reload/whatever, wasn't until it until it was time for Metallica that he was supposed to be watching with us that we started to worry a little and after their headline set his girlfriend went straight back to their campervan and texted me to say he had re-appeared and all was fine.

The following day he explained that he'd forgotten to charge his phone on the Friday night when he got back wasted, then on Saturday PM had wandered off from us to get some food, we had moved by the time he had got back and when he went to call me, suddenly realised he had no battery or his charger pack with him, so thought he would just stick it out until Metallica was done, go back to his CV and get some juice to meet us for SEC antics, but when he found his annoyed gf there just went to bed. 

His main gripe the next day was that he tried several times during Manic Street Preachers and Pixies (whilst also looking for us) to strike up conversation with people around him, offer them a bit of his spliff etc but most people didn't seem interested or just maybe gave the odd answer and then just stuck to their group, he felt like he was looked upon as some sort of weirdo for trying to talk to strangers.  Said it put a bit of a downer on his night and would never make the mistake of getting split apart from friends again, he's been doing festivals long enough to know what he's talking about and I felt a bit bad for him that people weren't more receptive to someone just trying to have a chat.

Perhaps he just got a few wrong groups and was a bit unlucky, but I also think that these days people are more inclined to stick with their own crowd as a result of mobile phones becoming easy to use on site now and not have to talk to people they don't know in a crowd, because its rare for people to get split up and not manage to find each other anymore.

This saddens me yet I understand it.

I am not shy at all and yet when found myself on own have had have bad experiences chatting to randoms, although not always.  

What I enjoy at festivals is adopting a lost soul maybe someone maybe similar to your friend, then it is my duty to give them the really good time giving them all drink and drugs that they can handle, they usually track down their friends and leave gutting: "Why do they always leave me?"

I have been the adopted person a few times most notably at Rockness that was an amazing Mumford and Sons gig now there is a sentence I never thought I would type.

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Well it does rebute(refute? rebut?) your point if you don't have an issue with those more traditional (whiter) acts playing. So unless you don't think Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Foster the People, etc, etc shouldn't play then you don't have a problem with violent or crass lyrics you have a problem with rap music.

Crass and violent lyrics dont sit well with me as a whole and I haven't jumped to defend any of the acts you've mentioned. Those songs fall in to the same boat for me.

In fact, I'm actually kind of annoyed I even mentioned Stormzy in my original post because it's stuff like Rules and WAP this year, that's really making my cringe.

35 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Would be far more productive to provide me with an argument as to why I should maybe reconsider my opinion on the lyrics, rather than assume its an attack on the genre as a whole. The whole "well they did it too" argument isn't up to much...

How about - why are you going to a music festival when it's clear you disapprove of so many lyrics? 

As pointed out, this isn't a modern phenomenon, there have been contentious lyrics since before we were all born (even an old git like me) and they were featured in the festival in one form or another since very early. 

Just now, clarkete said:

How about - why are you going to a music festival when it's clear you disapprove of so many lyrics? 

As pointed out, this isn't a modern phenomenon, there have been contentious lyrics since before we were all born (even an old git like me) and they were featured in the festival in one form or another since very early. 

What a strange comment... Removing the fact that Glastonbury, of all festivals, is about more than just music, I think resorting to a "why are you even going" comment is a bit low. It was a deliberately controversial opinion in the thread specifically for controversial opinions....

So just to be clear. It wasn't a dig at a specific genre - I actually do like a lot of rap and hip hop. It wasn't about skin colour - that didn't even cross my mind.

Simply put, I find overtly violent lyrics (the kind of stuff that glorifies gun and knife crime) unnecessary and arguably dangerous. I also find overly sexualised lyrics unnecessary and potential damaging. I never once said that these artists, or indeed their musical genre, aren't worthy of a spot on any stage. It was about specific songs.

If I was to distill into one line - the idea of 12/13 year old girls singing along to WAP makes my stomach turn.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

60 years ago people thought Elvis wiggling his hips would bring about the degradation of society as they knew it.

60 years on and apparently we're celebrating pre-teen girls singing about giving head and getting their mouths spat in...

Edited by TheDayman

2 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

60 years on and apparently we're celebrating pre-teen girls singing about giving head and getting their mouths spat in...

Every generation pushes the extremes of normality further than the previous one. I’m dreading to think what is going to be deemed acceptable for future generations. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Really? Blimey. I will avoid starting to listen to that lark from the sounds of it. 

1 hour ago, rgill3 said:

Just read the first five pages of this...

Why can't we all just be mates?!?!

There's a story...

So at some point last year (maybe the year before, what is time anyway?) the upvote / downvote function went missing. A thread was created for people to voice unpopular or contentious musical opinions without the fear of reprisals, and it became quite a fun way to vent on certain things. The general consensus was that it wasn't a place to argue about the merits of these opinions, just to get them out there.

As with so many things, this one has since taken a turn and now we argue about stuff.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you 2022.

Edited by Quark