Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

11 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

2017 on the other stage. A young lass had to be carried out of the crowd with a massive head injury after been hit by a flying bottle. You probably didn’t see it because of all the flares going off. 

Haven’t watched a Courteeners set since. 

Off topic but my niece went to see Oasis twice.  First time hit on the head by a bottle, carted off to hospital, missed the gig.  Second time, someone crowd surfing, kicked her in the head, carted off to hospital, missed gig.

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Off topic but my niece went to see Oasis twice.  First time hit on the head by a bottle, carted off to hospital, missed the gig.  Second time, someone crowd surfing, kicked her in the head, carted off to hospital, missed gig.

Sorry to hear this @Beerqueen.. 

As much as I like(d) the odd mosh, Glastonbury defintely feels like a safe space compared to R/L, Downloads etc.. I've never seen any trouble on the farm. My shoelace came undone during a Drenge set, mid-mosh. Several people made a circle so I could quickly sort out, otherwise it could have been dominoes.

1 minute ago, jpeee said:

Sorry to hear this @Beerqueen.. 

As much as I like(d) the odd mosh, Glastonbury defintely feels like a safe space compared to R/L, Downloads etc.. I've never seen any trouble on the farm. My shoelace came undone during a Drenge set, mid-mosh. Several people made a circle so I could quickly sort out, otherwise it could have been dominoes.

Aww that is so sweet!  It made me smile.  Reminds me of when many moons ago, in the old days of football terracing, the crowd surged when Chelsea scored against Liverpool and I lost my footing.  An anonymous hand reached down and grabbed me by the scruff of my neck and just hauled me to my feet.  I didn't have time to be scared.  And I just carried on celebrating the goal.

10 hours ago, gigpusher said:

True apart from 2017 for me that Glastonbury had magic fairy dust on for me.  Every choice I made was right, the weather was perfect. It was the Glastonbury of dreams. 

The weather was perfect in 2017.  The bands were fantastic (for me) in 2016. Combine the two hopefully in 2022.

11 hours ago, TheDayman said:

"Said play with my pussy, but don't play with my 'motions ('motions)
If you spend some money, then maybe I just might fuck ya (fuck ya)" - Rules, Doja Cat

"Call me Gunshot Mike or Mr Skeng
Check one-two-one man skitzed again
Dickhead you and a dickhead crew
Getting gassed up by your dickhead friends" - Mr. Skeng, Stormzy

Crass and violent lyrics are messages that aren't consistent with the Glastonbury ethos...

Wait til this dude listens to Megan Thee Stallion lmao

8 hours ago, al_coholic said:

I am one of those miserable people that likes to start up a conversation with a random, mostly in the Avalon Inn and normally while standing on the balcony. Only a few mins but while I am wandering around on my own its nice to chat to someone. Sorry if it was you and I was boring 😄

Me too.  For all that I am a Londoner, I will talk to anyone.  I take after my dad (also a Londoner) so that stereotype about Londoners.... or maybe we're just bloody odd.

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

I'd love it to be mine, but it's not. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and inconsequential remarks people make tend to stick with me for longer than they should, but I've never found neighbours to be overtly friendly beyond the odd hello.

In 2019, I said hello to somebody waiting at the bar next to me on the Friday night, and she told me I looked like somebody who "likes to r*pe women". Now, I could recognise that she was off her face and it's a ridiculous thing to say, but at the time it really affected both my confidence in myself and my desire to see the best in others. It was mortifying to be honest. The barman tried his best to reassure me she was shitfaced or high on whatever, but it impacted me, and the fact I can recall it now with such clarity demonstrates that.

Personally I don't see the gates as some magic portal that turns everyone into the best version of themselves. Dicks are going to be dicks, and sometimes getting off your face allows for that more than prohibits it.

What I will say is that everyone is in a great mood most of the time, and to that extent, it's wonderful. I just harbour no illusions that people who're toxic on the outside are going to be any different. This ain't Severance.

Aww sorry to hear that, it must have been cutting. But most people in the festival are not like that but yeah, unfortunately dicks remain dicks.

I do remember two dickheads in 2019 now you come to mention it.  Both younger guys.  Both of which I called out for being dicks (but politely).  The first just threw rubbish on the floor when there was a bin literally just yards away.  When I pointed this out to him his lovely response was "maybe you're too old for this festival".  The second was someone obviously going for a piss against the fence.  I can't remember the exact response but I was really depressed that the whole ethos of Glasto and the land had obviously completely failed to resonate with him.  But they are the minority thankfully.  However, because of spending my time on here I had forgotten they even existed!

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

I'd love it to be mine, but it's not. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and inconsequential remarks people make tend to stick with me for longer than they should, but I've never found neighbours to be overtly friendly beyond the odd hello.

In 2019, I said hello to somebody waiting at the bar next to me on the Friday night, and she told me I looked like somebody who "likes to r*pe women". Now, I could recognise that she was off her face and it's a ridiculous thing to say, but at the time it really affected both my confidence in myself and my desire to see the best in others. It was mortifying to be honest. The barman tried his best to reassure me she was shitfaced or high on whatever, but it impacted me, and the fact I can recall it now with such clarity demonstrates that.

Personally I don't see the gates as some magic portal that turns everyone into the best version of themselves. Dicks are going to be dicks, and sometimes getting off your face allows for that more than prohibits it.

What I will say is that everyone is in a great mood most of the time, and to that extent, it's wonderful. I just harbour no illusions that people who're toxic on the outside are going to be any different. This ain't Severance.

I wonder if someone off her face, clearly with no perception that you were being friendly (and that we efesters consider that  a key part of the G experience) - she just has a default 'conversation killer' that she would say to anyone of the opposite sex.   Don't let it put you off being friendly to others, we of all people know that drink and drugs makes people behave unusually. 

You've got a conscience and a good memory - if she said it to me I'd have likely not heard it or forgotten by the next day. 

Hope 2022 doesn't have any miserable encounters for you. 

38 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

The 'opening ceremony' is absolute shite and the worst thing you can take a person to if it's their first Glastonbury. 

In terms of actually going to Kings Meadow, yes, for sure.

If you happen to be on the other side of the valley when it's happening and can see the fireworks and bonfires from a distance, it's pretty cool.

6 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Me too.  For all that I am a Londoner, I will talk to anyone.  I take after my dad (also a Londoner) so that stereotype about Londoners.... or maybe we're just bloody odd.

I've encountered, and liked, a lot of friendly and chatty Londoners. Both inside and outside the fence. And any encounter will have been started by them as I'm a quite reserved Northerner. 

Regarding kids, I don’t have any yet but I had a family members wedding a few weeks back and their kids absolutely ruined it for them, specifically the 2 year old and 4 year old. Obviously they could’ve got them looked after but they wanted them there, however they were an absolutely liability for them the whole day. At that age they’re just not old enough to understand the whole world doesn’t revolve around them. I don’t think I’d want to take them if I had them until they were about 8+.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I didn't think this was a controversial opinion but after seeing the comments in this thread maybe it is. I love seeing kids at Glastonbury and I say this as someone who didn't have kids through choice and is not generally a kid fan but I think the fact is Glastonbury being an inclusive space is what stops it just being a giant Reading/Leeds and people generally behave a little better if they see little kids around. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chicken Bob said:

Pauline fowlers growler was a grotesque monstrosity and anyone who took pleasure in putting that filth into their body is a disgusting peasant that needs to be pushed headfirst into the long drops to cleanse them. 

A mate of mine ate one on the Thursday in 2009 and lost a couple of hours lying on the floor next to the Other Stage in a stodge coma!

I hope pangea is back this year with more bells and whistles, rather than bringing the spider back. I prefer the crane idea, shame it wasn't exactly what they wanted in 19, I'm hoping they have something up their sleeves for 2022 (planning dependant, obvs).

Edited by Dave_c

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I didn't think this was a controversial opinion but after seeing the comments in this thread maybe it is. I love seeing kids at Glastonbury and I say this as someone who didn't have kids through choice and is not generally a kid fan but I think the fact is Glastonbury being an inclusive space is what stops it just being a giant Reading/Leeds and people generally behave a little better if they see little kids around. 

Got to say I agree with you on this. Like you, generally not a fan but I love seeing them at the festival. I've had some really lovely, sweet interactions with families over the years, both out and about in the festival and when working on the gates. 

56 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't think its the taking Kids to the festival. As say would love to take mine, but if you take them you have to accept its a totally different festival.  Raving it up in the SEC at 2am while your kid is in a pushchair is not on for me. 

24 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I hope pangea is back this year with more bells and whistles, rather than bringing the spider back. I prefer the crane idea, shame it wasn't exactly what they wanted in 19, I'm hoping they have something up their sleeves for 2022 (planning dependant, obvs).

Totally agree (as I’ve made my feelings clear in the other thread 😂) Arcadia is great and all, but for me it’s lost it’s novelty value now. It’s been around in its current incarnation for years, and for 3 days at every festival. Of course it’s impressive in its own right, but how many times do people want to keep seeing the same thing. Everything at Glastonbury evolves over time and is eventually replaced, aside from a few specific things.

Lets face it, the people behind Arcadia agreed with the above and thought it was time for a change, hence buying a huge crane to replace the spider with. And again, let’s face it, their track record with their instillations isn’t exactly bad is it, I mean the spider is a lot more impressive than the afterburner isn’t it?

So I trust them to have evolved something better and more impressive over the years with Pangea (like they have with everything they’ve done since they’ve been around). I get that planning issues may make it difficult, but placing that to one side I struggle with the attitude of wanting to stick with the same thing we’ve had for years, over something new that would change over time and potentially end up better given the chance. To me that’s stifling creativity.

I think if you extrapolate that attitude across the rest of Glastonbury you wouldn’t have the brilliant festival you’ve got today, just the same things in the same places never changing just in case they aren’t as good.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, tumbles said:

I don't think its the taking Kids to the festival. As say would love to take mine, but if you take them you have to accept its a totally different festival.  Raving it up in the SEC at 2am while your kid is in a pushchair is not on for me. 

Agree with this, we're already talking about taking our kids next year (they'll be 5 and 3 by then) and we accept it will be  a wildly different festival to the one we are used to. There won't be as much dashing between stages, more a case of picking an area (say The Park or Other) and spending a few hours there. Imagining a lot of it will be spent in the corridor between Kidz Field and Pyramid.

15 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Run For Your Life, I actually posted the lyrics further up.

Under My Thumb by the Stones is another.

Well yeah, my opinion on those lyrics is exactly the same. I think it's worth adding both of those songs were written in the mid 60s though.

Whatever way you want to look at it though, just giving other examples doesn't exactly rebute my point.