Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

I saw some parents with a kid no older than 18 months I reckon, at Fat Boy Slim/Glade about 11.30pm in 2019. Kid was tired, upset and clearly not enjoying it. Parents didn't give a fuck.   As a parent myself I'd love to bring one of mine for the day/kidz field etc but its no place for them in the evenings/night. 

My controversial take is I’d never take my kids to Glastonbury (if I have any). Festivals and kids seem like a nightmare at the best of times and Glastonbury is intense. I think I’d relish the escape away as a parent. 

6 hours ago, balti-pie said:

in 👍

i've stopped drinking to excess, and while i'm a meat-eater, i'm very happy to eat veggie and vegan food. Gonna have a completely vegan day at glasto this year just so i can get proper in it. I seem to recall Morrissey insisting on no meat being sold the day he performed somewhere (do i remember that, or did he just say that? i dunno) and while i dont want to do anything that prick says, i will give it a bash nonetheless! 

This is a great idea.  Might join you in having a vegan day 

22 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Glastonbury can be the most lonely place in the world if your head starts messing about with you, the tiredness and stress before and during can't help. 

Would like to say if anyone feels lime this at the festival and needs to chat reach out on here happy to meet for a cider and a chat 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tumbles said:

I saw some parents with a kid no older than 18 months I reckon, at Fat Boy Slim/Glade about 11.30pm in 2019. Kid was tired, upset and clearly not enjoying it. Parents didn't give a fuck.   As a parent myself I'd love to bring one of mine for the day/kidz field etc but its no place for them in the evenings/night. 

Worst I've ever heard of is a pair of parents doing a line off their maybe 10 yo sons back in the Cider Bus area...

Edited by Pinhead
*off

1 hour ago, zero000 said:

My controversial take is I’d never take my kids to Glastonbury (if I have any). Festivals and kids seem like a nightmare at the best of times and Glastonbury is intense. I think I’d relish the escape away as a parent. 

I don’t think that’s controversial I’ve  no Interest in taking my kid, he is only 2 but I can’t see that changing anytime soon. I’ve no issue with people taking them just not my idea of fun. I will take him to a smaller festival in a couple of years but I struggle to look after myself for 5 days at Glasto 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

After attending a certain number of times (10?) you should get first dibs at tickets 

Alternatively anyone who has, let's say at least 5 under their belt  should be blocked for several years to give others a chance. Mwah ha ha!

• Like 1

In terms of dragging them along when they're 3 years old, that makes perfect sense.

In terms of refusing them when they're 11 years old and begging to come along (and with them having seen TV footage with loads of kids their age in shot), then you'd feel like a right dick saying no to them.

I would take mine in day but maybe the weds or Sunday and then send them home (I’m lucky in it’s only hour away). Have to admit on the Thursday in 2019 I actually had a moment where I broke down seeing many parents and kids having fun on greenpeace family disco. But yeah I’ve seen people pushing pushchairs  with zonked kids at 2am in the SE corner. Just unfair on kids imo. 

Edited by tumbles

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Sorry I’ve read this a number of times and I’m not understanding this sentence. 

It was a badly written sentence, apologies. I think a lot of people thought when Benn got involved, Glastonbury would end up like a Mean Fiddler festival, with all the soul sucked out of it.

That didn't happen, it just got more organised.

These are maybe not that controversial - but it’s all I’ve got.

1. Tent stages should all be replaced. Make them proper outdoorsy stages so everyone can actually hear properly and get a better view. I’d allow tents to remain in theatre/cabaret and don’t much care either way with Silver Hayes. For all the others, actual stages please.

2. The beer choice in general across the site is pretty atrocious. Feel free to bin off Otter Ale, Tuborg or any of that other muck to allow space on the menu for something dark and malty.
To be fair, I’d still be mostly getting drinks at the cider bus….but it’s nice to have a bit of choice.

Edited by dogeggs

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was a badly written sentence, apologies. I think a lot of people thought when Benn got involved, Glastonbury would end up like a Mean Fiddler festival, with all the soul sucked out of it.

That didn't happen, it just got more organised.

I think Benn understands as a business man what works and didn’t, I’m not sure if he was behind much of the sponsorship that was creeping in. 

1 hour ago, tumbles said:

I would take mine in day but maybe the weds or Sunday and then send them home (I’m lucky in it’s only hour away). Have to admit on the Thursday in 2019 I actually had a moment where I broke down seeing many parents and kids having fun on greenpeace family disco. But yeah I’ve seen people pushing pushchairs  with zonked kids at 2am in the SE corner. Just unfair on kids imo. 

If you are going to take kids you’ve got to accept you’re having a different festival to usual.

the 20 prams parked up by Pangea with kids in was depressing 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

If you are going to take kids you’ve got to accept you’re having a different festival to usual.

the 20 prams parked up by Pangea with kids in was depressing 

I agree with the first bit. 

In a slight defence of partying parents though, some kids can sleep really well out and about. If they’re warm, comfortable, well fed and have ear defenders on then it’s not totally impossible they could be sleeping just as soundly in a pram as they would back at a tent. 

Obviously goes without saying that parents should be staying sober-ish and attentive to their child’s needs, not raving it up off their heads and ignoring them. 

That may well be what was happening at Pangea in which case totally agree it’s not on! 😐

Edited by jimmillen

Good read this thread. I think the festival is awesome, but here are my controversies/ideas anyway x

John Peel Tent is too isolated, needs something else down there (the woods have helped, but I'm not an Oxlyers fan, sorry). 

The Cows should be sent offsite so the cow sheds can host multiple rave/folk venues.

Chairs, though important, could be used on the opening night bonfires. Bleachers might be a good idea if combined with the Pyramid screens. 

An 'opening Stonecircle gig wouldn't go a miss on Weds/Thurs. Loved seeing Damon/Wolf Alice there last year.

Pengea was amazing. Spider not so much. 

Too many stalls, not enough crafts and oddities. 

x

p.s No Meat on site 😉 x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zero000 said:

I've done it once. Enjoyed it - but never again. Smaller festivals are far more manageable!

19 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I agree with the first bit. 

In a slight defence of partying parents though, some kids can sleep really well out and about. If they’re warm, comfortable, well fed and have ear defenders on then it’s not totally impossible they could be sleeping just as soundly in a pram as they would back at a tent. 

Obviously goes without saying that parents should be staying sober-ish and attentive to their child’s needs, not raving it up off their heads and ignoring them. 

That may well be what was happening at Pangea in which case totally agree it’s not on! 😐

This is the key here.

We’ll probably take our son within the next few years but know when we do it’ll be a totally different festival, which we’ll be fine with. 

We’ll probably take it in turns to go out late at night and party whilst the other heads back to the tent with the boy post headliner. But during the day there won’t be many beers at all, it’ll be about showing him how amazing this place we keep taking about it is. 

Oh and as it goes Arcadia is the place he’s most keen on seeing, he’s 5 and thinks it looks incredible (shown him lots of footage).