Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd love it to be mine, but it's not. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and inconsequential remarks people make tend to stick with me for longer than they should, but I've never found neighbours to be overtly friendly beyond the odd hello.

In 2019, I said hello to somebody waiting at the bar next to me on the Friday night, and she told me I looked like somebody who "likes to r*pe women". Now, I could recognise that she was off her face and it's a ridiculous thing to say, but at the time it really affected both my confidence in myself and my desire to see the best in others. It was mortifying to be honest. The barman tried his best to reassure me she was shitfaced or high on whatever, but it impacted me, and the fact I can recall it now with such clarity demonstrates that.

Personally I don't see the gates as some magic portal that turns everyone into the best version of themselves. Dicks are going to be dicks, and sometimes getting off your face allows for that more than prohibits it.

What I will say is that everyone is in a great mood most of the time, and to that extent, it's wonderful. I just harbour no illusions that people who're toxic on the outside are going to be any different. This ain't Severance.

That's just shit.  It makes me so sad to hear stuff like that. 

And she's not a dick.  She's a c**t.  The word is reserved for people like her.  I strongly believe that Glastonbury improves people who attend, but there's only so much magic to go round. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd love it to be mine, but it's not. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and inconsequential remarks people make tend to stick with me for longer than they should, but I've never found neighbours to be overtly friendly beyond the odd hello.

In 2019, I said hello to somebody waiting at the bar next to me on the Friday night, and she told me I looked like somebody who "likes to r*pe women". Now, I could recognise that she was off her face and it's a ridiculous thing to say, but at the time it really affected both my confidence in myself and my desire to see the best in others. It was mortifying to be honest. The barman tried his best to reassure me she was shitfaced or high on whatever, but it impacted me, and the fact I can recall it now with such clarity demonstrates that.

Personally I don't see the gates as some magic portal that turns everyone into the best version of themselves. Dicks are going to be dicks, and sometimes getting off your face allows for that more than prohibits it.

What I will say is that everyone is in a great mood most of the time, and to that extent, it's wonderful. I just harbour no illusions that people who're toxic on the outside are going to be any different. This ain't Severance.

Maybe take off the balaclava?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Shit I like to believe that you don't get horror shows like that there. I've come across my fair share of rude and inconsiderate people but not on that level. That's a horrible thing to say to someone. 

2 hours ago, NoBuses said:

You could go through loads of other genres and find lyrics worse than that...

It wasn't an attack on the genre but rather highlighting my gripe with giving that kind of content airtime (particularly when there's plenty of young and impressionable ears in the crowd).

Those examples were both just big Pyramid acts of late but I think you'd be hard pressed finding worse lyrics, tbh.

33 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Those examples were both just big Pyramid acts of late but I think you'd be hard pressed finding worse lyrics, tbh.

The Beatles wrote and recorded a song about threatening to murder a woman.

Doesn’t count though if it’s white guys with guitars.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

This is true of any festival, but particularly Glastonbury. There is zero reason to bring a child under maybe 5 to the festival. It’s purely self indulgence for the parents. 

Strong agree on it being too big, it’s also too long weds, opening on Thursday would be fine. 

I saw some parents with a kid no older than 18 months I reckon, at Fat Boy Slim/Glade about 11.30pm in 2019. Kid was tired, upset and clearly not enjoying it. Parents didn't give a fuck.   As a parent myself I'd love to bring one of mine for the day/kidz field etc but its no place for them in the evenings/night. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I was watching a vlog on the weekend and I’m pretty sure it was Mylie Cyrus (might be wrong so please correct me if so, didn’t watch her at the fest) but the amount she used the F word was very awkward, totally unnecessary.

I remember being the field and thinking that the censor on the live stream had their work cut out.

2 hours ago, TheDayman said:

It wasn't an attack on the genre but rather highlighting my gripe with giving that kind of content airtime (particularly when there's plenty of young and impressionable ears in the crowd).

Those young and impressionable people in the crowd are Stormzy's fan base. It's the 40 year olds like myself who'd never heard those lyrics before. 

Tbh though I didn't notice. I only really recognised the bit where he played a snippet of Sweet Like Chocolate. 

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

Melvin Benn was the saviour of Glastonbury in the 00’s

I can count myself amongst those who weren't happy when he became involved with the festival, but it feels really hard to deny that his appointment didn't result in Glastonbury resembling a Mean Fiddler festival in any negative way.