Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

To add to this, the idea that everyone becomes best friends for five days and isn’t it great you can get along with your neighbours so well and Glastonbury’s different because people aren’t dicks there and you can just talk to strangers and have special moments almost on demand, is absolute bollocks as well. 

We must be going to different festivals. That's really close to my experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Me too...  people we've met previously now camp with us. 

And 'friends for 5 minutes' conversations are fully appreciated. 

• Like 1

We all seem to have different definitions of "glamping". For me, spending months decking out a caravan for some comfort isn't glamping, staying somewhere with a basic (if quite large) pre-erected tent for an extra few hundred quid isn't glamping.

A great big yurt, that costs significantly more than the ticket price per person, where you cower to rinse the festival out of your soul and plug appliances into the mains, so you treat it like a day festival - that's glamping.

Worthy View is just pre-erected camping, it's not posh. Campervans are normally really personal and despite being comfortable aren't about not engaging with the festival.

Remember those influencers that turned up for a day and a half and stayed in a yurt and declared on YouTube that they'd "done Glastonbury"? They were glamping. They weren't there in spirit, that's the issue I have with "glamping", not people who travel, or have physical needs - it's people who think they're too good for the festival.

Now, short of peering into people's souls, I'm not sure we can easily tell the difference in people's intent - but Winding Lake certainly has more of them than WV. And WV probably has more than Pennards.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ingobernable said:

I think there's at least two different things that people are talking about when they say 'glamping' and it's worth distinguishing them. 

The pre-erected sites run by the festival really aren't glamping at all. You get a tent and access to a shower block. You still sleep on the floor. It's not luxurious but it is convenient. It's worth remembering as well that Michael Eavis has said he'd quite like to be able to run all camping like that. The tents are hardy, they get repaired between festivals, they're reused constantly. Convenience to the people using them aside it's a much better option than cheap nylon tents that depend on plastic accessories, even cheap tents that get resused several time. 

The real glamping, with the inflatable matrresses and proper bedding, with private shower cubicles, with helicopters onto site, with gourmet breakfasts included. The ones that are equivalent to most hotels, they're the issue. These are the ones that are beyond the realms of possibility for almost all attendees and that cater to a crowd that definitely wouldn't come anyway. 

So, my unpopular opinion is that we need better words for things. 

Ah bloody hell, you made my point before I did, but more eloquently.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

The Glastonbury you actually have is always worse than the Glastonbury you think you will have or the Glastonbury you remember you had. Anticipation is sky high before and memory filters out all the shit bits afterwards. No-one ever has as good a Glastonbury as they expect or remember.

Like summers when you were a kid.

Nah. 2017 was way better than I expected. 

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We all seem to have different definitions of "glamping". For me, spending months decking out a carvan for some comfort isn't glamping, staying somewhere with a basic (if quite large) pre-erected tent for an extra few hundred quid isn't glamping.

A great big yurt, that costs significantly more than the ticket price per person, where you cower to rinse the festival out of your soul and plug appliances into the mains, so you treat it like a day festival - that's glamping.

Worthy View is just pre-erected camping, it's not posh. Campervans are normally really personal and despite being comfortable aren't about not engaging with the festival.

Remember those influencers that turned up for a day and a half and stayed in a yurt and declared on YouTube that they'd "done Glastonbury" were glamping. They weren't there in spirit, that's the issue I have with "glamping", not people who travel, or have physical needs - it's people who think they're too good for the festival.

Now, short of peering into people's souls, I'm not sure we can easily tell the difference on people's intent - but Winding Lake certainly has more of them than WV. And WV probably has more than Pennards.

My new neighbours glamp and they are a right pair of twats. John Moncur with your appraisal

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Again someone making my point before me 🤣

It was a 'if Carlsberg did festivals'.... year which on the back of 2016 which was the worst for me and coming a couple of weeks before my 40th birthday was just perfect. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

That kindly old chap headlining the Pyramid on Saturday was involved in the creation of this...

Well, I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am
You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand, little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end, little girl
Well, you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line
You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand, little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end, little girl
Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead

The only Beatles song I skip, including Revolution 9 and You Know My Name.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My trick for getting on with my neighbours is handing out cider, glowsticks and rainbow vision glasses at the first opportunity. Seems to work.

You can camp next to me with that attitude, no need to worry about the glowsticks or glasses though...

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

To add to this, the idea that everyone becomes best friends for five days and isn’t it great you can get along with your neighbours so well and Glastonbury’s different because people aren’t dicks there and you can just talk to strangers and have special moments almost on demand, is absolute bollocks as well. 

Yes it's not utopia but it's closer to it than Manchester on a Friday night. There's always the exception but people are more likely to start up a friendly conversation and offer to help than most places on earth. 

• Upvote 1

I am one of those miserable people that likes to start up a conversation with a random, mostly in the Avalon Inn and normally while standing on the balcony. Only a few mins but while I am wandering around on my own its nice to chat to someone. Sorry if it was you and I was boring 😄

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We all seem to have different definitions of "glamping". For me, spending months decking out a caravan for some comfort isn't glamping, staying somewhere with a basic (if quite large) pre-erected tent for an extra few hundred quid isn't glamping.

Remember those influencers that turned up for a day and a half and stayed in a yurt and declared on YouTube that they'd "done Glastonbury"? They were glamping. They weren't there in spirit, that's the issue I have with "glamping", not people who travel, or have physical needs - it's people who think they're too good for the festival.

Now, short of peering into people's souls, I'm not sure we can easily tell the difference in people's intent - but Winding Lake certainly has more of them than WV. And WV probably has more than Pennards.

Yes you can tell the Glamping options by the fact that some of them don't even open until Thursday night or Friday. I cannot imagine paying a shit ton more to miss half the festival. 

54 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd love it to be mine, but it's not. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and inconsequential remarks people make tend to stick with me for longer than they should, but I've never found neighbours to be overtly friendly beyond the odd hello.

In 2019, I said hello to somebody waiting at the bar next to me on the Friday night, and she told me I looked like somebody who "likes to r*pe women". Now, I could recognise that she was off her face and it's a ridiculous thing to say, but at the time it really affected both my confidence in myself and my desire to see the best in others. It was mortifying to be honest. The barman tried his best to reassure me she was shitfaced or high on whatever, but it impacted me, and the fact I can recall it now with such clarity demonstrates that.

Personally I don't see the gates as some magic portal that turns everyone into the best version of themselves. Dicks are going to be dicks, and sometimes getting off your face allows for that more than prohibits it.

What I will say is that everyone is in a great mood most of the time, and to that extent, it's wonderful. I just harbour no illusions that people who're toxic on the outside are going to be any different. This ain't Severance.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I'd love it to be mine, but it's not. I'm a bit of a sensitive soul and inconsequential remarks people make tend to stick with me for longer than they should, but I've never found neighbours to be overtly friendly beyond the odd hello.

In 2019, I said hello to somebody waiting at the bar next to me on the Friday night, and she told me I looked like somebody who "likes to r*pe women". Now, I could recognise that she was off her face and it's a ridiculous thing to say, but at the time it really affected both my confidence in myself and my desire to see the best in others. It was mortifying to be honest. The barman tried his best to reassure me she was shitfaced or high on whatever, but it impacted me, and the fact I can recall it now with such clarity demonstrates that.

Personally I don't see the gates as some magic portal that turns everyone into the best version of themselves. Dicks are going to be dicks, and sometimes getting off your face allows for that more than prohibits it.

What I will say is that everyone is in a great mood most of the time, and to that extent, it's wonderful. I just harbour no illusions that people who're toxic on the outside are going to be any different. This ain't Severance.

I'm really sorry to hear that's your experience. Dicks really are dicks.

4 minutes ago, MikeandSan said:

You should only be allowed to buy 2 x tickets and then not be allowed to get back through to purchase any further.

2 might be a bit small but given that some of my most annoying experiences at the festival have been because of huge groups who seem more keen to chat to each other but insist on doing it in front of stages when acts are on I wouldn't be averse to it. 

51 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ah bloody hell, you made my point before I did, but more eloquently.

Nah, I was still happy to pre-judge all the glampers. You've at least suggested the chance that *some* of them might still fundamentally understand the festival. Much more generous. 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I don't think that anyone should change themselves based on a drunken dickhead's opinion of them, but... have you considered maybe not wearing the balaclava around the festival? 😉

That is a supremely shitty thing though. No-one wants to hear that about themselves from anyone, let alone a stranger.