Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

24 minutes ago, incident said:

The first time it came properly into public view was Camp Kerala appearing in 2004, which was rightly ridiculed and still should be.

There will have been lower profile things happening for a long time before that though, with the old (smaller) hospitality offerings in Interstage.

Isn't that what Caitlin Moran goes in (Think Neil confirmed it one year) then claims on her Guardian column she's been 'slumming it' at Glastonbury over the weekend.

Just now, whitehorses said:

Vegan booze free Glasto 

in 👍

i've stopped drinking to excess, and while i'm a meat-eater, i'm very happy to eat veggie and vegan food. Gonna have a completely vegan day at glasto this year just so i can get proper in it. I seem to recall Morrissey insisting on no meat being sold the day he performed somewhere (do i remember that, or did he just say that? i dunno) and while i dont want to do anything that prick says, i will give it a bash nonetheless! 

22 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Ah the do Glastonbury the way I think you should do Glastonbury attitude, and don’t you dare want to sit in chair either, is this an example of the Myth of the care free love everyone attitude that doesn’t actually exist at Glastonbury but people on here think does?

To add to this, the idea that everyone becomes best friends for five days and isn’t it great you can get along with your neighbours so well and Glastonbury’s different because people aren’t dicks there and you can just talk to strangers and have special moments almost on demand, is absolute bollocks as well. 

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Not one of mine, but a friend of mine said a couple of years ago

'they should get rid of all the glamping options, if you can't hack slumming it anymore then you should give up going'

(this was after a number of our other friends booked WV/Sticklinch/Tipi for the 2020 festival that never was)

Sort of agree, as a glamper. We live overseas so flying with loads of camping gear (or renting stuff/begging and borrowing) would be a bit of a nightmare, tbh. We'd manage if they removed all the glamping but its a hugely useful convinience. 

6 minutes ago, kalifire said:

To add to this, the idea that everyone becomes best friends for five days and isn’t it great you can get along with your neighbours so well and Glastonbury’s different because people aren’t dicks there and you can just talk to strangers and have special moments almost on demand, is absolute bollocks as well. 

Yeah and tbh I'm not even there for that. I want to have fun with the people I'm with not feel obliged to indulge some overly extroverted strangers idea of fun and be made to feel like an asshole for keeping to myself.

People make the place of course, and I'll always aim to be friendly and inclusive. But the vibe of everyone having a great weekend all around me is all I need. I'm not there to make new friends for life like its (sometimes) implied.

And it's gonna happen at least once that you're in a crowd surrounded by chatters, sitters and sweaty people with their shirts off. Glastonbury isn't immune to douchebags.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Controversial opinion … I don’t like controversial opinion threads …. Set up for disagreement …. I prefer it when that happens naturally in a thread … not in one so designed . 

pah, thats fighting talk 🤣

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Remove all mobile phone reception over the entire festival area, except for two windows of access between 8 and 8.30, morning and evening. There's a festival going on, put your bloody phones down and enjoy yourself. I will reluctantly allow mobile phone usage for cameras, but you cant post anything to twitter or instagram or any of that nonsense. 

(the windows of access are to appease anyone who needs to be contactable for whatever's happening out there in the real world, the rest of us should exist on rumour or conjecture and maybe Cliff Richard will actually die this year, like he did every year before widespread smartphone ownership) 

On the Saturday of 2014 a mate of ours got separated from the rest of us in the late-afternoon, we tried calling him several times, just went straight to voicemail and got nothing so just assumed he'd gone back to his campervan for a rest/reload/whatever, wasn't until it until it was time for Metallica that he was supposed to be watching with us that we started to worry a little and after their headline set his girlfriend went straight back to their campervan and texted me to say he had re-appeared and all was fine.

The following day he explained that he'd forgotten to charge his phone on the Friday night when he got back wasted, then on Saturday PM had wandered off from us to get some food, we had moved by the time he had got back and when he went to call me, suddenly realised he had no battery or his charger pack with him, so thought he would just stick it out until Metallica was done, go back to his CV and get some juice to meet us for SEC antics, but when he found his annoyed gf there just went to bed. 

His main gripe the next day was that he tried several times during Manic Street Preachers and Pixies (whilst also looking for us) to strike up conversation with people around him, offer them a bit of his spliff etc but most people didn't seem interested or just maybe gave the odd answer and then just stuck to their group, he felt like he was looked upon as some sort of weirdo for trying to talk to strangers.  Said it put a bit of a downer on his night and would never make the mistake of getting split apart from friends again, he's been doing festivals long enough to know what he's talking about and I felt a bit bad for him that people weren't more receptive to someone just trying to have a chat.

Perhaps he just got a few wrong groups and was a bit unlucky, but I also think that these days people are more inclined to stick with their own crowd as a result of mobile phones becoming easy to use on site now and not have to talk to people they don't know in a crowd, because its rare for people to get split up and not manage to find each other anymore.

Edited by gooner1990

15 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Hahaha, defo agree!

18 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Ok cool so you are now in agreement that they should not get rid of the glamping options

I think in the context of disabilities you are thinking of accessible camping rather than what I define as glamping? How would getting rid of the latter disporportionatly affect the disabled above any other group of attendees?

13 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

Sort of agree, as a glamper. We live overseas so flying with loads of camping gear (or renting stuff/begging and borrowing) would be a bit of a nightmare, tbh. We'd manage if they removed all the glamping but its a hugely useful convinience. 

I think that's the thing now, festivals in general bend over backwards for peoples custom and once one festival offers glamping the others follow suit.

A friend of mine lived in the US for three years 2014-2017 and would always keep a massive stash of camping equipment at his parents house ready for when he came back for Glastonbury each year!

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I think in the context of disabilities you are thinking of accessible camping rather than what I define as glamping? How would getting rid of the latter disporportionatly affect the disabled above any other group of attendees?

what's the problem with 'glamping'? It's largely there for the benefit of people on coaches and thursday arrivals. We only use tipi's / worthy view as there's zero option to camp by the time we get there. There's not this class association that so many people wrongly assume there is. 

This is true of any festival, but particularly Glastonbury. There is zero reason to bring a child under maybe 5 to the festival. It’s purely self indulgence for the parents. 

Strong agree on it being too big, it’s also too long weds, opening on Thursday would be fine. 

Just now, Cuboid said:

what's the problem with 'glamping'? It's largely there for the benefit of people on coaches and thursday arrivals. We only use tipi's / worthy view as there's zero option to camp by the time we get there. There's not this class association that so many people wrongly assume there is. 

That's a load of rubbish, plenty of space on the west side of the site.