Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The glamping thing is a complex one, if you like the festival in its current incarnation then the glamping options help it to be what it currently is. If you prefer the festival like it was 20 years again and would like it rolled back to that, then getting rid of glamping would help that.

I think glamping helps retain an audience that otherwise might have retired due to getting older or who wouldn't attend if they had to do standard camping.

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Not sure having to fly in creates a definitive need for them either.

If the options are fly and stay in a pre-pitched tent or fly, buy a cheapo tent on the way to the site and leave it behind afterwards, I can see why the festival would encourage the former. (The other option being don't be a dick and take your tent home, but you can't always rely on people to do the right thing.)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

When did glamping first appear? 

I know at Reading it first appeared in 2006

Worthy View was 2013 IIRC

I do wonder if all the glamping/pre-errected options are why now some of the Western parts of the site are now so sparce throughout the weekend.

There have been tipis for a long time. Don’t know about all the other stuff. 

5 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I do wonder if all the glamping/pre-errected options are why now some of the Western parts of the site are now so sparce throughout the weekend.

Michael stepped in in 2011 when Myhab went bust just before the festival. That then became Worthy View.

Though the Campervan Fields are closer to glamping than Worthy View is.

1 minute ago, Simsy said:

If the options are fly and stay in a pre-pitched tent or fly, buy a cheapo tent on the way to the site and leave it behind afterwards, I can see why the festival would encourage the former. (The other option being don't be a dick and take your tent home, but you can't always rely on people to do the right thing.)

Yeah, fair point. Reckon its got to be a comparatively small number though compared to UK bookings. I suppose the pre-erected Worthy View covers that though, and I'm not sure that's the same as the 'glamping' I kind of mean that is offered by non-GFL third parties.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think the worst thing about people using their phones is filming everything though! I don’t see many people actually on their phones at Glastonbury.

Its not as bad at Glasto is it, definately. Once option could be to allow 2G only on site, then that's the end of social media lifestyle signalling but keeps the ability to text / call one another to co-ordinate / meet up etc.

16 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

My comment is a generalisation, therefore not intended to cover every experience or need. I'm sure children used to go before five grand yurts appeared though, and older people seem to be more into caravans / campervans. Not sure having to fly in creates a definitive need for them either.

When you want to impose a rule you should try to consider all experiences and needs of people you are enforcing your will on

14 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Remove all mobile phone reception over the entire festival area, except for two windows of access between 8 and 8.30, morning and evening. There's a festival going on, put your bloody phones down and enjoy yourself. I will reluctantly allow mobile phone usage for cameras, but you cant post anything to twitter or instagram or any of that nonsense. 

(the windows of access are to appease anyone who needs to be contactable for whatever's happening out there in the real world, the rest of us should exist on rumour or conjecture and maybe Cliff Richard will actually die this year, like he did every year before widespread smartphone ownership) 

What if your child gets lost? They have a phone but it's 8.35pm and you have to wait 11 hours and 25 minutes before being able to call them

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

There’s a subset of their fans that think it’s amusing to throw glass bottles in the air while in a packed crowd. You can usually spot them as they’re wearing coke spoons around their neck. 

I know a lot of people partake in a little fun stuff during the festival but be a little less blatant about what you’re doing. 

I like the music, just not a fan of the crowd that comes along with it. 

Never seen a glass bottle thrown at a Courteeners crowd at Glastonbury and I think I've pretty much seen every set they've played since 2010. Now the Courteeners crowd at Heaton Park gigs is a whole different ball game 😳🤣

48 year old fan girl here. The only spoon I take to Glastonbury with me is the one to stir me morning cuppa with 🤣

Edited by Digi

8 minutes ago, Digi said:

Never seen a glass bottle thrown at a Courteeners crowd at Glastonbury and I think I've pretty much since every set they've played since 2010. Now the Courteeners crowd at Heaton Park gigs is a whole different ball game

2017 on the other stage. A young lass had to be carried out of the crowd with a massive head injury after been hit by a flying bottle. You probably didn’t see it because of all the flares going off. 

Haven’t watched a Courteeners set since. 

12 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

What if your child gets lost? They have a phone but it's 8.35pm and you have to wait 11 hours and 25 minutes before being able to call them

However did parents look after their children before mobile phones? There must have been a huge infant death rate from ‘getting lost’ at an event filled with security and a massive fence all around it.

24 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Michael stepped in in 2011 when Myhab went bust just before the festival. That then became Worthy View.

Though the Campervan Fields are closer to glamping than Worthy View is.

People have been going to Glastonbury in campervans since the beginning.

31 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The first time it came properly into public view was Camp Kerala appearing in 2004, which was rightly ridiculed and still should be.

There will have been lower profile things happening for a long time before that though, with the old (smaller) hospitality offerings in Interstage.

"Said play with my pussy, but don't play with my 'motions ('motions)
If you spend some money, then maybe I just might fuck ya (fuck ya)" - Rules, Doja Cat

"Call me Gunshot Mike or Mr Skeng
Check one-two-one man skitzed again
Dickhead you and a dickhead crew
Getting gassed up by your dickhead friends" - Mr. Skeng, Stormzy

Crass and violent lyrics are messages that aren't consistent with the Glastonbury ethos...

Edited by TheDayman
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

36 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Remove all mobile phone reception over the entire festival area, except for two windows of access between 8 and 8.30, morning and evening. There's a festival going on, put your bloody phones down and enjoy yourself. I will reluctantly allow mobile phone usage for cameras, but you cant post anything to twitter or instagram or any of that nonsense. 

(the windows of access are to appease anyone who needs to be contactable for whatever's happening out there in the real world, the rest of us should exist on rumour or conjecture and maybe Cliff Richard will actually die this year, like he did every year before widespread smartphone ownership) 

Ah the do Glastonbury the way I think you should do Glastonbury attitude, and don’t you dare want to sit in chair either, is this an example of the Myth of the care free love everyone attitude that doesn’t actually exist at Glastonbury but people on here think does?

The social media/people on their phones thing is a little overblown on here I think. At the end of the day (outside of a few extreme cases) someone choosing to spend their weekend Tweeting selfies doesn't really affect anyone else. I'm all for everyone enjoying the festival their own way. 

8 minutes ago, Smeble said:

However did parents look after their children before mobile phones? There must have been a huge infant death rate from ‘getting lost’ at an event filled with security and a massive fence all around it.

What are truly terrible argument. Because parents of 30 years ago did not have the incredibly useful tool that are mobile phones parents today should have restricted access to them at festivals? All because you think some people spend too much time looking at their phones during festivals

31 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

When you want to impose a rule you should try to consider all experiences and needs of people you are enforcing your will on

I'm not imposing anything - this is the controversial opinions thread? What people and the festival do is entirely up to them.