Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Take it one step further and ban cars from 2 miles of the site. Would certainly make people think if they really need all that stuff. 

Guys I really need those crates of beer. 

Do trolleys actually effect other people though? Or is it the shite that some people put in them that's annoying?

27 minutes ago, David_303 said:

Shit Drum and Bass is. I wish they would dig a bit deeper with their bookings. 

Two of my cousins are both respected DnB producers and label owners and they don't generally take Glastonbury bookings unless it's something very special. eg Arcadia. You just don't get paid and they've both got kids to feed and so on so why spend an entire peak season weekend to make almost nothing (less than 100 quid for an Arcadia set at peak time a few years ago) when they can play 2 or 3 club nights or go to properly paying festivals elsewhere and have as good a time. Playing Glastonbury is obviously a big career highlight, but if you're a jobbing musician who doesn't want/need exposure it's just not very economical.

4 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

Two of my cousins are both respected DnB producers and label owners and they don't generally take Glastonbury bookings unless it's something very special. eg Arcadia. You just don't get paid and they've both got kids to feed and so on so why spend an entire peak season weekend to make almost nothing (less than 100 quid for an Arcadia set at peak time a few years ago) when they can play 2 or 3 club nights or go to properly paying festivals elsewhere and have as good a time. Playing Glastonbury is obviously a big career highlight, but if you're a jobbing musician who doesn't want/need exposure it's just not very economical.

I guess it’s more if they also want to be there for the weekend too aside from what they get paid, which obviously not every artist will.

Just now, faymondo said:

Brothers Cider was a let down. When I finally went there its just a cider with flavouring added like a soda stream.

The build up to it was much more than the actual product. 

Couple of those after drinking cans of lager gets you bollocksed though, only properly enjoy them if it's hot

1) Silver Hayes is actually quite a good little area. Plenty of small tents to dart around in and a mix of entertainment and music styles available. (E.g. Lewis Capaldi, Prospa, Taiwanese rock all on the same day in 2019)

2) They should limit the amount of alcohol you can bring in. 

3) It's not a particularly "lefty" festival anymore.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I guess it’s more if they also want to be there for the weekend too aside from what they get paid, which obviously not every artist will.

Yeah exactly, and that's why you take the first few bookings. One of them took a bad booking basically so he could take his kid along. He was dancing on stage while his dad played (7 year old boy, day time set) and the crowd was loving it.

The South East corner is too busy, (most of) the music is shite and full of fucked up idiots. Getting there and being there really isn't that much fun.

It's not even that interesting, every years it's "ooh, we're doing a futuristic, dystopian world of the same shite we do every year"

• Upvote 2

Just now, clarkete said:

Many of these are not controversial in the slightest. 

I think the majority of my negative thoughts around the festival are the same points I've been making for years. Other than that, I've scraped the barrel for controversial opinion, and even they were relatively tame. I guess that's a reflection on how much I love the place. That said, I don't believe the festival gets it right every single time and GFL aren't beyond criticism

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The South East corner is too busy, (most of) the music is shite and full of fucked up idiots. Getting there and being there really isn't that much fun.

It's not even that interesting, every years it's "ooh, we're doing a futuristic, dystopian world of the same shite we do every year"

Yeah most of the time I go there I feel like I’m really struggling and forcing myself to have a good time, with the mindset of ‘I must not be doing this right/going to the right places’. I kind of still feel like that and am gonna make a valiant effort to go to some of the supposed ‘good’ venues this year, but then maybe it just isn’t that good, or more specifically, far too busy to enjoy properly.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

640706.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Unfortunately of you names stages after people it’s always going to end up dated or out of place for one reason or another. I think it’s best just to name stages like they have the others, although the other is a shit name if you ask me.

Strummerville seems enduring… Other stage is clearly gentle irony that has just run out of road, I think. 

Edited by whitehorses

19 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Brothers Cider was a let down. When I finally went there its just a cider with flavouring added like a soda stream.

The build up to it was much more than the actual product. 

Also maybe it was just me but did the high concentration of mixed syrups and cider make it smell like vomit whenever you were near it? Lovely stuff.

Edited by FrancisH

Pangea was a refreshing update from the Arcadia spider.

The spider was designed for a much smaller space. Sure, it was great if you could get yourself immediately under or nearby, but the crowd was often too large for most people to enjoy.

Pangea is a far larger scale spectacle, suited the size of the field/crowd it's in.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Unfortunately of you names stages after people it’s always going to end up dated or out of place for one reason or another. I think it’s best just to name stages like they have the others, although the other is a shit name if you ask me.

The Other Stage wouldn’t be such a bad name if the stage/area itself didn’t just feel like ‘some other stage’. The name just highlights how little effort has actually been put in to it rather than being a quirky name.