SE Corner Tactics.

Wilfko

We always try to plan one place to get to in the night and tend to stay there for the night. I always tell my mates who hate queueing that there’s queues for a reason. Get there early if possible and as @cervmentioned above, the diner is the place to be if all else fails if you’re into that music. Had one of the best nights I’ve had in Glastonbury in there. 

2 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Was a bit underwhelmed with the pretend big screen waterfall last time rather than the real one but still worth a look

ah ok - I don't remember that, which means I probably didn't make it that far last year. The waterfall was awesome 

Don't know if I'm mis-remembering 2019 (it's quite possible) but I felt like there was less of the smaller venues in the SE Corner last time. 

In the past whenever there were massive queues for the bigger stages like the Temple there was always a smaller venue with something good on to fall back on but I didn't find those little gems in 2019 like in past years.

Is it maybe the layout change that threw me a bit or has there actually been a change to remove some of the venues from the previous years?

9 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Its a shame- the AV setup for IICON is unreal, have never heard 3D sounds like it!

Moving the entrance over there was clever as it really spread out the crowd and stopped the silly queue into SE corner in 2019. But yes- shame it didn't really draw the crowds

Yes, I worked in 2019 so was going in post 3am most nights so not sure what it was like at the normal post-headliner rush but like you say it stopped the bottle neck/queue so every cloud and all that. 🙂 

1 minute ago, EFC1996 said:

We always try to plan one place to get to in the night and tend to stay there for the night. I always tell my mates who hate queueing that there’s queues for a reason. Get there early if possible and as @cervmentioned above, the diner is the place to be if all else fails if you’re into that music. Had one of the best nights I’ve had in Glastonbury in there. 

This just reminded me of something that happened one night, 2010 I think. Not sure if it was Shangri La alleys, or may have even been round the circus area. There was a queue of about 10 people outside a little flap in a tent being manned by 2 blokes, every couple of minutes they would look in and say room for one more, and let next person in. We queued up for a few minutes, when we got in it was just an empty tent about 10 foot square, with another gap on the other side leading back out on to the main path round the corner. Big crowd outside cheering everyone who came out as they had just fallen for it as well.

Not sure if it was just 2 random blokes having a laugh or what, but it was hilarious. Queue had got even bigger when we made our way round to the entrance again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wozwebs said:

Best time to get in there is when one of the main headliners is on if you don't like them. I can imagine Sunday will be rammed this year depending upon who is on the Other stage same time as KL.

Pet Shop Boys

--

Has anyone got a map showing the one way system / where you can actually get into the SE Corner? That bottom corner of the map is all just a blur of random stages, its hard to tell the actual route from my first timer perspective!

What are the rough queues if you got there at say 11pm, midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am on fri/sat? What time does the queue properly die down like 2/3am?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hawros said:

For me another huge issue in the SEC is the toilet situation. Am I right thinking some of the bigger venues, with queues, have no toilets, and once you’re out, you’re out?

Am I doing it wrong?

Probably some are like that, but most and especially the ones that get big queues have some "inside" the cordon.

4 minutes ago, Hawros said:

For me another huge issue in the SEC is the toilet situation. Am I right thinking some of the bigger venues, with queues, have no toilets, and once you’re out, you’re out?

Am I doing it wrong?

The Common is the only big one that doesn't I think

56 minutes ago, the_arsonist said:

Don't know if I'm mis-remembering 2019 (it's quite possible) but I felt like there was less of the smaller venues in the SE Corner last time. 

In the past whenever there were massive queues for the bigger stages like the Temple there was always a smaller venue with something good on to fall back on but I didn't find those little gems in 2019 like in past years.

Is it maybe the layout change that threw me a bit or has there actually been a change to remove some of the venues from the previous years?

Defo fewer smaller places. A seasoned pro might be able to offer up specifics 

52 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Am I doing it wrong?

I think most toilets are on the railway line... some venues have toilets inside so you don't need to leave/queue... the temple for example

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They need to change it up. Been stale and overcrowded for years now. Was great in 09, 10, 11. Not so much since.

So I guess, the SE corner isnt as good as it used to be.

I remember when i it was all just fields etc etc 😉

My advice for anyone a bit unsure what to do in the SEC is maybe have a look at who’s playing the bigger venues such as Icon, Genosys, The Temple, Whatever the big area in Shangri La is called at headliner times or what I’d say are headliner times for there so 1:00-4:00ish.

Check out the DJ’s sets on YouTube/SoundCloud/Mixcloud and have a listen. You can dip in/out of them. 

I always go back my tent before the subs and get geared up for the night so when I’ve seen my headliner I make a bee line to the dance I plan on going to and let everyone know where I’ll be. It’s a lot easier to meet at the venue than it is to meet after the headliner and head towards the venue. 

• Upvote 1

It feels like a lot of what people enjoyed about it (alleys, little random experiences) just can no longer happen because it’s too busy. It’s mostly a late night DJ spot now.

What they’d need to do is either make Silver Hayes better for late night music and reduce the musical offering to take the crowds back away from SE, or start a whole new area with less music and more of the little curiosities. I don’t think the two can coexist in the same place anymore.

• Upvote 1

I've gone off SE corner in recent years, although do find Sunday nights in there are fun and its not so packed.  I just find it too overwhelming when its really busy. I refuse to say I'm too old but maybe I am!!

Likewise in that in all my years I’ve never quite mastered the south east corner. I often struggle to convince people to wait in the queues, and then whenever we do and make it inside a place people I’m with often get uppity about the type of music being played or whatever and all decide to leave together. Say it every year but I’m putting my foot down on some of it this time. Never made it inside the Common or the Temple so those are two box tickers for me for sure.