SE Corner Tactics.

Wilfko

I have to say, the "one way conveyor belt" in the SE corner really does kill the vibe for me a bit. I hope they can put some more mainstream friendly music on the IICON stage this year, which should help soak up some crowds, away from the other areas.

It's great when you find the right spot to dance, but it's no fun to just "explore" when it's busy.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I usually go to the Temple opening party which is early evening on Thurs with the wife. When they open the doors, everyone charges in. Hold on, there are some pics on Facebollocks...

19787268_10154469106617581_2197021821332671501_o.jpg

We went in there about 1am or so and there was no queue whatsoever and were stood on the right hand side, roughly where that really big guy in the salmon/pink t-shirt is stood.

I never had queues to get into the area in 2019 from everyone's description I wonder if the one way thing might be why I was just a bit underwhelmed by the whole Shangri-la area, didn't really see much or get the hype. Much preferred the areas further back like temple, rumshack etc.

I also don't mind silver Hayes, had some great acts on and spent most of thursday in there.

1 hour ago, Wilfko said:

So like most people here i'm slightly obsessed with Glastonbury and (having been successful in the resale) I will be returning for my 4th tour (15, 17, 19), my excitement levels are off the charts.

I typically find the most joy out of bimbling around, popping my head into little gigs, eating food, checking out the green fields and all the little micro venues dotted along either side of the railway track etc etc

One thing I think i've never managed to quite 'nail' is the SE corner.. Don't get me wrong, ive been many times and danced for a bit, but I never quite find myself in a spot that feels 'right', this is despite me being a very enthusiastic dancer and generally really up for it. I think the problem I find is the sheer traffic inbetween each area makes it impossible to feel like you're in the centre of a venue and not just stuck out in the middle of a footpath, I somehow always end up feeling i've been Shepparded out of the one way system and by that point getting back in is a nightmare.. My favourite memory is getting into Temple at just the right time in 2017 and enjoying the vibe in there for a few hours before leaving to go somewhere else and encountering the above issue and kind of giving up, heading somewhere else like crows nest.

I'd absolutely love to turn up at this years festival with a bit more of a plan (if that doesn't sound too anti fun). any advice with regards to timings, specific areas that are a good place to shoot for? I still don't feel i've experienced it in the way i'd like to. 

I will dance to pretty much anything, but I have a particular love of funk and soul.. one of my groups annual traditions is Craig Charles on the Friday.

Friday afternoon between 16:00 - 18:00 normally some good techno blaring out , no queue for the bar 

20 minutes ago, Sku said:

I have to say, the "one way conveyor belt" in the SE corner really does kill the vibe for me a bit. I hope they can put some more mainstream friendly music on the IICON stage this year, which should help soak up some crowds, away from the other areas.

It's great when you find the right spot to dance, but it's no fun to just "explore" when it's busy.

I think from what I’ve read on the Electronica thread, the people behind IICON have said it won’t ever be more mainstream stuff on there

I think being there with a specific thing in mind will help you feel less of a tourist - highlight a few acts and be there for them

Visit during the day for a walkabout and get your bearings - it might help later on... 

And perhaps dedicate one night there, see a west holts headliner and then get down there while it's quiet

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think from what I’ve read on the Electronica thread, the people behind IICON have said it won’t ever be more mainstream stuff on there

I think they've got this wrong, its a MASSIVE set up and to have the field 2/3rds empty most of the time is a bit of an own goal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I think they've got this wrong, its a MASSIVE set up and to have the field 2/3rds empty most of the time is a bit of an own goal.

I think they could get some bigger names without losing their credibility. It's a fine line though, for sure. 

• Like 1

Yep, you really do need a plan these days. The amount on offer is overwhelming. A plan is extra important if there's more than 4 of you or it's raining.

I now do a bit of research in the run up. If you don't recognise a DJ check out their sets on soundcloud to get a feel if it's gonna be up your street. See what the folks in Elecrtonica/Dance thread are talking about. They *really* know their stuff and have put me onto names that were great.

Start by checking out what's on at the big outdoor venues/marquees where there will be no queuing : Arcadia, Truth stage, Genosys, IICON. These are your bankers, make sure you know what to expect from these each night.

Then look at the other spots where queuing is likely. I hate queuing but you shouldn't be totally put off by it if you know a winner awaits. Use it as opportunity to recharge and have a natter with some randoms in the queue. If your plan A at a smaller venue doesn't work head for a banker.

Have a wander around the area in the daytime on Thursday - you may spot small things that look like they will come alive at night. Make a mental note to check out on your return.

BTW if you like funk and soul the Diner in Shangri-La sounds like a good banker for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cerv said:

Yep, you really do need a plan these days. The amount on offer is overwhelming. A plan is extra important if there's more than 4 of you or it's raining.

I now do a bit of research in the run up. If you don't recognise a DJ check out their sets on soundcloud to get a feel if it's gonna be up your street. See what the folks in Elecrtonica/Dance thread are talking about. They *really* know their stuff and have put me onto names that were great.

Start by checking out what's on at the big outdoor venues/marquees where there will be no queuing : Arcadia, Truth stage, Genosys, IICON. These are your bankers, make sure you know what to expect from these each night.

Then look at the other spots where queuing is likely. I hate queuing but you shouldn't be totally put off by it if you know a winner awaits. Use it as opportunity to recharge and have a natter with some randoms in the queue. If your plan A at a smaller venue doesn't work head for a banker.

Have a wander around the area in the daytime on Thursday - you may spot small things that look like they will come alive at night. Make a mental note to check out on your return.

BTW if you like funk and soul the Diner in Shangri-La sounds like a good banker for you.

Great advice

My best nights in the SE Corner have definitely been when we've ended up somewhere "enclosed" (the Temple, Samula, the Unfairground crew bar...), otherwise have tended to suffer slightly from the constant moving around issue you mentioned, so I offer that up as some sort of tip

Wow- some useful tips here. It sounds like for most places I want to get to I need to be a little prepared. Half wanting to go with the flow, and half wanting to be in the thick of it. 

That storming of the gates video looked terrifying. But the inside shot looked rather fun. My excitement just moved up a notch 😁

yeah, the smaller places are a good option too.. the carousal (assume that's still going to be there) and the Cave? - the one with the waterfall behind the temple.... that can be a struggle to find if you're intoxicated already

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Its a shame- the AV setup for IICON is unreal, have never heard 3D sounds like it!

Moving the entrance over there was clever as it really spread out the crowd and stopped the silly queue into SE corner in 2019. But yes- shame it didn't really draw the crowds

Just now, benc said:

yeah, the smaller places are a good option too.. the carousal (assume that's still going to be there) and the Cave? - the one with the waterfall behind the temple.... that can be a struggle to find if you're intoxicated already

Was a bit underwhelmed with the pretend big screen waterfall last time rather than the real one but still worth a look

• Like 1