One song that says Glastonbury festival to you?

Cooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWDyWQzs1MI

Slightly more personal this one, Plastic Fox by Mik Artistic.  I think 6Music had been playing it a bit early 2017 and me and the missus used to sing along to it. Thursday night we were slightly worse for wear, on our way back to the van and we bumped into Mik, I said alright, how you doing, saw you at Croissant Neuf earlier, etc.  Mik was friendly, said hello back then my missus, who was verr verr drunk at the time, shouted Plastic Fox at him.  Sort of killed the moment.  I've never let her forget it.

Edit. no fucking idea how to embed vids, obvs

Edited by czuk
  • Upvote 2

In the last decade, personal taste aside, if you had to pick an anthem that encapsulates the festival, it's very difficult to look beyond that Elbow song, isn't it? 

I have two:

Going to California by Led Zeppelin (sung by Robert Plant in 2014) reminds me of Glastonbury by day.

Alakazam! by Justice takes me back to night time.

2 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

Mik Artistik for me too - the lights are on.  Great memories of sitting in in the sun while Mik meandered through the audience interacting with everyone 

Pocket full of straws!!!

Just listening to this years spotify and the lyrics for Heat Wave by Glass Animals is definitely a song that gets you thinking about the last few festivals. 

Couple for me:

Elbow - One day like this (this seems a popular choice, and rightly so).

Mik Artistik - Plastic fox. I am the proud owner of a plastic fox at the top of my garden thanks to this song.

Dizzie Rascal - Bonkers. Stood by the tree watching this in 2010. It was incredible seeing the entire crowd bounce.

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Easy one for me - A New England by Billy Bragg. It's just not Glastonbury without a singalong to that at Leftfield on the Friday night!

This for me too, saw it one year completely by accident and it has stuck with me ever since.

I really don’t like Elbow but also have to agree with one day like this, it screams bbc highlights to me and will always make me think of the best place on earth

Jamie T - Zombie at the Other Stage late Sunday afternoon in 2015.

It was my first glastonbury, i'd had a pretty traumatic year in the run up and I had the best time I could ever had hoped for.. thinking about watching the sunsetting and dancing like a loon to that track still makes me well up a bit to be honest.

• Upvote 1

Blur 'The Universal', ending their set in 2009, as the first drops were falling of what was to become the mother of all thunderstorms. 

'Can't take my eyes off you' at the random gathering at Crooner's Corner on Wed or Thurs in 2019. A lorry manoeuvring had caused a massive queue to build up over Bella's Bridge. The singer suddenly had a huge audience joining in, most of whom (including me) only knew a fraction of the words.

That Jamie T gig was a corker.  I don't think anyone expected him to draw such a massive crowd and everyone seemed well up for it.  Definitely one of my favourite glastonbury gigs.

I'll counter that 2011 Elbow performance for the 2008 version with the happy cellist, grinning like a cheshire cat.  This was the performance that got me to return to glastonbury after years away in 2009. 

*edit* found a better quality copy:

Edited by Spindles

2 hours ago, Smash Williams said:

Politik. Coldplay opening with it in 2002 was 'a Glastonbury moment'. "Give me weather, that does no harm..."

Honourable mention for Resurrection.

'Michael Eavis and Worthy Farm....'

That's a good one...it's always the opening drum beats and chiming guitar to In My Place that really takes me back to that night though.