Glasto with kids/toddlers

Jet_Moderno

Hey! There's a few handy threads about on here. This is one I made back in 2017 (can't believe that's 5 years ago wtf), people gave me some great advice:

Some quick tips from taking an 18 month old in 2017 and then 3 and a half year old in 2019...

Number 1 top tip and the most important by far - Get an all terrain running buggy. It might be pricey but it's definitely worth it. It makes a huge difference having something reliable to carry around kid plus stuff, without it you're basically a pack horse for the weekend and you'll be absolutely knackered in no time. We used a carrier for our toddler in 2017 and it nearly broke us, even taking it in turns. Don't try and be clever with a wheelbarrow or somesuch either, seen plenty of parents having an absolute mare with their home made festival wagons over the years. You want something sturdy and comfortable to push on all terrain. We got one of these for 2019 and it did a great job:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074ZCR33L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you happen to live around Gloucestershire we're selling that. You're probably gonna need a 2 seater of course, I'd say if anything taking 2 kids makes the buggy even more imperative. Buggy!

That wasn't such a quick tip after all. Some other tips...

Camp in Wickets. It's spacious and relaxed, peaceful at night, very easy to get to the toilets, decent food, water points and a lockup are all right there. 

Ready Beds are great.

Take loads of handy snacks.

Take a washing up bowl.

Get fairy lights for your BUGGY 👍

Take plenty of blankets and maybe one of those cosy wintery sleep suit things for being out and about at night.

Be prepared to take your time, and to spend a few hours each day in the kids field (which is awesome). If there's anything you particuarly want to see give yourself plenty time to get there, like aim to be an hour early. Busy moving crowds can be sketchy with a buggy, especially at night, so you'll often find yourselves waiting for crowds to clear or taking detours.

You'll probably be knackered by Sunday (if not before). Tag team with the other half throughout the weekend to get rest/unwind.

I'll try and think of more...

You're gonna have a great time! It's an adventure.

Edited by Junglist1981

2017 & 19 there was plenty of room all weekend, you’ll certainly have no issue at all getting a couple of big tents up next to each other on Wednesday. 

Never camped in Cockmills but the impression I get from speaking to others is that it gets quite rammed and is less chilled. No doubt it’s in a more convenient location though, Wickets is a mission from most places.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:13 PM, Junglist1981 said:

2017 & 19 there was plenty of room all weekend, you’ll certainly have no issue at all getting a couple of big tents up next to each other on Wednesday. 

Never camped in Cockmills but the impression I get from speaking to others is that it gets quite rammed and is less chilled. No doubt it’s in a more convenient location though, Wickets is a mission from most places.

It is a long way out but last festival with just me and my Wife who was 3 months pregnant we ended up setting camp the first space we found as soon as we got on site which was in Darble so probably about the same distance out.

Definitely want more space and chilled so the kids can run around the camp, they will probably be up at 5 or 6 so they can burn off a bit of energy then whist one of us gets a bit more sleep. 

51 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

It is a long way out but last festival with just me and my Wife who was 3 months pregnant we ended up setting camp the first space we found as soon as we got on site which was in Darble so probably about the same distance out.

Definitely want more space and chilled so the kids can run around the camp, they will probably be up at 5 or 6 so they can burn off a bit of energy then whist one of us gets a bit more sleep. 

We used to camp in Darble, mostly because we couldn’t be arsed to walk any further by the time we got through gate A!

Wicket is in a better spot I’d say, being on the other side of that service road helps and having John Peel and the Woods right there is great. It’s definitely the place I’ve enjoyed camping most over the years.

2 hours ago, Junglist1981 said:

We used to camp in Darble, mostly because we couldn’t be arsed to walk any further by the time we got through gate A!

Wicket is in a better spot I’d say, being on the other side of that service road helps and having John Peel and the Woods right there is great. It’s definitely the place I’ve enjoyed camping most over the years.

That’s where I go … although this time I have an unknown bus time to concern me …. Can’t remember for the life of me what time it starts getting full …. I think 11 has been fine for a few tents previously ?! Or is my mind playing tricks 

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s where I go … although this time I have an unknown bus time to concern me …. Can’t remember for the life of me what time it starts getting full …. I think 11 has been fine for a few tents previously ?! Or is my mind playing tricks 

We always arrive mid/late afternoon on Wednesday and never had a problem in either. Darble can look fuller than it is from the track, if you wander toward the bottom corner near the service road/pylon field there's always plenty of room (and a handy sink!). Only really fills up by Friday, and back in 2010/11 there was enough free space all weekend that you could've played 5 a side.

After doing many years at various festivals with our kids the best thing to cart them about is a bike trailer such as this one..

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HOMCOM-Trailer-Stroller-Bicycle-Rotatable/dp/B08SW34G9W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3MWHY8SU5GBNG&keywords=bike%2Btrailer&qid=1650371406&s=baby&sprefix=bike%2Btrailer%2Cbaby%2C182&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ1RIODBBMUNLSFU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTU2NjUxMUExVURRMjYxQURKWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTkwMTM5MzlGOFNKSVJPMkdERSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

With a coat of Fabsil this has got us through many wet and muddy festivals. It also comes apart easily and folds flat.

Decent ear defenders are a must! Even quite far away from the main stages is really loud for kids. 

We take loads of glow sticks / finger lights, the kids love them, they like giving them out and making friends and it helps you spot them at night.

Don't expect to just sit and watch music all day, kids will get bored. What seems to work with mine is do activities around the various fields in the day and watch bands in the evening

On 4/19/2022 at 1:40 PM, ShuMart said:

After doing many years at various festivals with our kids the best thing to cart them about is a bike trailer such as this one..

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HOMCOM-Trailer-Stroller-Bicycle-Rotatable/dp/B08SW34G9W/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3MWHY8SU5GBNG&keywords=bike%2Btrailer&qid=1650371406&s=baby&sprefix=bike%2Btrailer%2Cbaby%2C182&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ1RIODBBMUNLSFU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTU2NjUxMUExVURRMjYxQURKWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTkwMTM5MzlGOFNKSVJPMkdERSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

With a coat of Fabsil this has got us through many wet and muddy festivals. It also comes apart easily and folds flat.

Decent ear defenders are a must! Even quite far away from the main stages is really loud for kids. 

We take loads of glow sticks / finger lights, the kids love them, they like giving them out and making friends and it helps you spot them at night.

Don't expect to just sit and watch music all day, kids will get bored. What seems to work with mine is do activities around the various fields in the day and watch bands in the evening

These look great. May see if there are any good quality ones secondhand.