Masks on the coach

cheesey_toastie

Just wondering what people think about this?

I'm planning to wear a mask on the See Tickets coach down. My thinking is if I did happen to get Covid on the way down it would kick in just as the festival is starting (about two days usually?). 

I'm pretty relaxed in outdoor settings but I feel like we've all waited so long for this festival it would be bloody annoying to have to go home on the Friday (and I'm not even sure how I'd get home!). 

Absolutely will be doing the same with my N95 mask , having not had covid (yet ) ..... I don't want to have my festival ruined by being ill either .... I wont be wearing it at the fest . IM also aware most others wont be ... which is fine 

Edited by crazyfool1

I mean, you do you, but I think you’ll be in the minority on this one. They’re no longer a requirement so people heading to a festival where they’re gonna be surrounded by crowds of people for five days probably aren’t gonna bother masking up for a few hour coach journey. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I mean, you do you, but I think you’ll be in the minority on this one. They’re no longer a requirement so people heading to a festival where they’re gonna be surrounded by crowds of people for five days probably aren’t gonna bother masking up for a few hour coach journey. 

It's not the risk of catching it - it's the risk of catching it at the exact wrong time and having it torpedo the festival.

I'll be acquiring a FFP3 mask for the coaches down.

I won't be bothering on the way back.

The mask is about protecting other people as much as protecting yourself. I'd wear one regardless of how many others aren't. Partly to give myself (and anyone who might think the same as me) a sense of security, partly to show that there are people still wearing them and partly out of habit. I'll be wearing mine on the train to Castle Cary but am pretty sure I'll be in the minority. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Usually I work on the basis of do others have a choice - I wear masks in shops, public transport and doctors etc as there may be vulnerable people that have no choice to visit these places.

If you're in a bar or restaurant you're making your informed choice - so no mask for me. In this situation it's all purely selfish TBH - I'll be wearing it to minimise the risk of me catching it and ruining the festival. I'm not planning to wear masks at the festival itself as I'm not sure how workable that would even be. 

Might do on the coach home too - probably the biggest risk of the weekend the more I think of it and it will help with the smell (I've never smelt others on the coach home tbf)!

• Upvote 1

It is not a bad thing to keep masking up.  Its always that moment when you let your guard down in a setting you think is going to be considered safe that things can happen. Not the worst hing to wear it on the coach or train. Most of the time at the festival will be mask less for a lot of people. Although it might come in handy at night if its chilly or windy.

15 hours ago, incident said:

It's not the risk of catching it - it's the risk of catching it at the exact wrong time and having it torpedo the festival.

I'll be acquiring a FFP3 mask for the coaches down.

I won't be bothering on the way back.

You could literally catch it within the first hour of being on the site though and be in the same position so not worth stressing over in my opinion. Each to their own though obviously.

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

You could literally catch it within the first hour of being on the site though and be in the same position so not worth stressing over in my opinion. Each to their own though obviously.

Not really. Most of Glastonbury Festival is in a giant field. Open air. The tents don't really get going until Friday and even then they are open sided and air will be flowing. 

The travel down is probably the biggest risk - older coaches - some I've been on the air con didn't work and who knows if it's set to just recirculate. 

But I am very much of the opinion it will be up to everyone to make their own choices. I certainly won't be judging anyone that chooses to do one or the other. 

2 hours ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Usually I work on the basis of do others have a choice - I wear masks in shops, public transport and doctors etc as there may be vulnerable people that have no choice to visit these places.

If you're in a bar or restaurant you're making your informed choice - so no mask for me. In this situation it's all purely selfish TBH - I'll be wearing it to minimise the risk of me catching it and ruining the festival. I'm not planning to wear masks at the festival itself as I'm not sure how workable that would even be. 

Might do on the coach home too - probably the biggest risk of the weekend the more I think of it and it will help with the smell (I've never smelt others on the coach home tbf)!

If it’s for preventing yourself getting covid it’s defiantly worth upgrading your mask …  

44 minutes ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Not really. Most of Glastonbury Festival is in a giant field. Open air. The tents don't really get going until Friday and even then they are open sided and air will be flowing. 

The travel down is probably the biggest risk - older coaches - some I've been on the air con didn't work and who knows if it's set to just recirculate. 

But I am very much of the opinion it will be up to everyone to make their own choices. I certainly won't be judging anyone that chooses to do one or the other. 

Boardmasters last year would suggest otherwise 

5 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

Oh yeah - that was pretty grim. 

It was a mostly unvaxxed demographic at the time though - right? We've also now got a lot more natural immunity in the population. 

I've decided I'm going - I'm going to take a few precautions but I think you have to accept going comes with some acceptance of risk.

7 minutes ago, Rex2 said:

As I understand it a large part of the problem at Boardmasters is precisely that parts aren't outside - specifically, there's a lot of associated clubs etc in the town, and with the festival itself being split across two sites, there's people crammed into shuttle buses travelling between them.

18 hours ago, cheesey_toastie said:

Just wondering what people think about this?

I'm planning to wear a mask on the See Tickets coach down. My thinking is if I did happen to get Covid on the way down it would kick in just as the festival is starting (about two days usually?). 

I'm pretty relaxed in outdoor settings but I feel like we've all waited so long for this festival it would be bloody annoying to have to go home on the Friday (and I'm not even sure how I'd get home!). 

You do you, my friend.

One of my major loves of Glastonbury is that there is zero judgement of pretty much anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Even if it were I doubt many would comply at this stage

I think more would. If they were recommended I would take one on the coach with me. Then if the person next to me put one on I would to reassure them. 

if it wasn’t I doubt I’d take one with me 

There is a difference between recommended and compulsory. It wouldn’t be a case of complying if it was recommended