People who have hated Glastonbury

e_p

20 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

In comparison to shitting in a bag whilst your pal holds it.

Urgh, I've not heard that one before 🤢

7 minutes ago, Smeble said:

No more rank than taking a shit in a big hole in the ground surrounded by lots of other people taking a shit in the same big hole in the ground.

Are you referring to the long drops or is there somewhere a good deal more communal that I haven't encountered?

8 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

On the other hand... going to other (lesser) festivals upholds your love for glasto! Ive been to loads of other festivals, but havent got lucky with glasto tickets before. Ive hyped this up so much i dont think anything can live up to it unfortunately. 

Glastonbury can, and will. 

8 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

On the other hand... going to other (lesser) festivals upholds your love for glasto! Ive been to loads of other festivals, but havent got lucky with glasto tickets before. Ive hyped this up so much i dont think anything can live up to it unfortunately. 

You are literally incapable of imagining how incredible it is until you've been, don't worry.

I know this as even with 8 under my belt it takes my breath away every single time. I'm looking forward to this year as I've been away for a long time due to the ticket God's not deeming me worthy for a couple of fests. It's going to be fun to see it with fresh eyes again and with a fresh appreciation and gratitude as getting tickets is not a given as it seemed before (not that I really took it for granted).

9 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

At some point, you might feel like some of the people featured in this thread. Any of us might, even us wrinkly old veterans. Recognise it for what it is if it happens, take time to re-balance yourself and then carry on. Embrace it cos once you hit the "what in the entire fuck am I doing here" low spot and negotiate it, the only way is up and that's where the magic is found.

On another note, I don't understand how some people can do a festival *without* peeing in a suitable, lidded receptacle overnight and flushing it in the morning. Do you seriously get all dressed and troop off to the longdrops or lie there with your back teeth floating? Can't fathom it.

12 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

At some point, you might feel like some of the people featured in this thread. Any of us might, even us wrinkly old veterans. Recognise it for what it is if it happens, take time to re-balance yourself and then carry on. Embrace it cos once you hit the "what in the entire fuck am I doing here" low spot and negotiate it, the only way is up and that's where the magic is found.

On another note, I don't understand how some people can do a festival *without* peeing in a suitable, lidded receptacle overnight and flushing it in the morning. Do you seriously get all dressed and troop off to the longdrops or lie there with your back teeth floating? Can't fathom it.

Traipsing off to the long drops, yep. Haven't even thought of having a pee bottle in the tent.

2011 after U2 in sideways rain. Soaked through and freezing cold. Went to get a hot cider for the walk back (even if it was the opposite direction) having decided to sack off Shangri-la et al. Got back to the tent, crow-barred off the boots, peeled off all the wets, dried my hair on my towel, got my dry jammies on and a fresh t-shirt and got all wrapped up in my sleeping bag. Lovely! Really bloody comfy and ready to drift off to sleep. ... ... FOR FUCKS SAKE! It had thankfully stopped raining so only reapplied the bottom halves and poddled down the hill a little emotional to have a wee.

Where we camp it literally only takes a minute or two depending on the guy line situation to get to them (far enough to be out of range, close enough to not be inconvenient).

18 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I am actually incredibly impressed when people's first one is one of the bad ones and they still come back. 

Mrs Moth’s first was 2016 with  all that horrible-to-navigate-nowhere-to-sit mud. To make things more difficult, she had badly twisted her ankle just a few days before.

She breezed through the whole thing with no complaints and a big grin, her only request being getting a bit of a pamper and a hair wash at the salon tent (glamour and ??) early doors on the Saturday before the music got going.

Such a trooper 🙂

7 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Put my shoes on (and a jacket if it's raining) and traipse off to the longdrops in my jimjams. Seems easier than trying to squat over a container and not fall over/piss on all my belongings.

7 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I just never need the loo when I'm in bed.  I guess I am blessed with a very strong bladder.  I go on my way back to my tent and then don't need to go again until the morning and even then it's not something I have to prioritise to do as soon as I'm awake.  I can quite happily wait another hour or two.

On 4/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, Beerqueen said:

Scorcher then?  Actually, I would take 2017 weather - hot, but not dehydratingly so!

It was only hot on the Weds, which is perfectly fine. You didnt have to worry about it pissing down while setting up camp. Then the rest of the weekend it rained at the ideal hours so the temps stayed nice.

I really hope its not 40 and clear every day this year. Im getting plenty of that over the next 2 weekends.

And who hates Glastonbury? Its apparently the most perfect never made a mistake or done something bad festival in the history of the universe.

Edited by Suprefan

It’s definitely an advantage for people with male equipment to use a lenor bottle in the middle of the night. Definitely a struggle for the opposite equipped although there may be an alternative bottle. 

Why lenor bottles are the receptacle of choice is down to the wide neck, opaque bottle and usually still has a bit of a fresh smell. 

It’s shape is also unique compared to drinks bottles so when you’re fumbling around in the dark you know you have the right bottle. 

For those not wanting to take the trek to the loos in the rain and mud during the night it’s a must pack. It’s far better doing that than being one of those scruffy twats who just piss on a neighbouring tent. I have been at festivals where they do that. 

25 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s definitely an advantage for people with male equipment to use a lenor bottle in the middle of the night. Definitely a struggle for the opposite equipped although there may be an alternative bottle. 

Why lenor bottles are the receptacle of choice is down to the wide neck, opaque bottle and usually still has a bit of a fresh smell. 

It’s shape is also unique compared to drinks bottles so when you’re fumbling around in the dark you know you have the right bottle. 

For those not wanting to take the trek to the loos in the rain and mud during the night it’s a must pack. It’s far better doing that than being one of those scruffy twats who just piss on a neighbouring tent. I have been at festivals where they do that. 

Word of warning...  friend of mine used her shewee and lenor bottle and had to replace her tent. It's worth the short walk to the logdrops. 

Edited by Heather90
*Longdrops but I'm not changing it now

Back in 2010 a big group of Lads next door had a toilet tent. They'd piss into a pringles tube and lob it in. The smell was pretty intense by Sunday. 

Another thing is my wife swears by travel John's for a piss during the night rather than getting dressed etc. 

9 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

You are literally incapable of imagining how incredible it is until you've been, don't worry.

I know this as even with 8 under my belt it takes my breath away every single time. I'm looking forward to this year as I've been away for a long time due to the ticket God's not deeming me worthy for a couple of fests. It's going to be fun to see it with fresh eyes again and with a fresh appreciation and gratitude as getting tickets is not a given as it seemed before (not that I really took it for granted).

You've managed to alleviate some of my concerns taking 7 newbies with me. I love the fetival but it is certainly a marathon and not a sprint. I'm definitely hoping they will lead the way on Wednesday and Thursday with the wandering and I'll just gently guide to the sign for one of the sunsets. 

I'm also very keen they each go and do what they want and we don't have to be bound together, especially on music days. I always try to go to 1 set alone and I'll be recommending the benefits of that too. 

I had quite an ordeal in 2016 trying to get to the caravan we’d booked in CVE east. It involved a 12 hour queue, getting turned away from the CVE east entrance at sunset about 3 cars away from getting in, eventually ending up in one of the east car parks, trudging to gate B at about midnight, all the way to gate C and back out again, and then trying for hours to find our caravan somewhere in CV east in the pitch black and mud. I then got up at 6am, retraced my steps back to my car, joined another 6 hour queue to then get the car back to the caravan.

It seriously tested my resolve at times, so I can perfectly see how Glastonbury can break some people, but it kind of had the opposite effect on me thankfully.

1 minute ago, danssol said:

Back in 2010 a big group of Lads next door had a toilet tent. They'd piss into a pringles tube and lob it in. The smell was pretty intense by Sunday. 

Another thing is my wife swears by travel John's for a piss during the night rather than getting dressed etc. 

THIS!

Ladies here's the solution : TravelJohns. A bit weird but safe.

there was a friend of a friend who joined us joined us one year . he hated it on so many levels. He burned effigies of Bush whilst standing there with a mega phone chanting his hate for the US.  he left early Saturday . leaving everything behind, and I mean everything. I took his tent . it lasted me a good few years. when he got home he did a you tube video about how bad the toilets were. I think this was mainly as he was anti illegal drugs and did loads of herbal stuff he bought in the healing fields and then had a massive bout of  diarrhea.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

there was a friend of a friend who joined us joined us one year . he hated it on so many levels. He burned effigies of Bush whilst standing there with a mega phone chanting his hate for the US.  he left early Saturday . leaving everything behind, and I mean everything. I took his tent . it lasted me a good few years. when he got home he did a you tube video about how bad the toilets were. I think this was mainly as he was anti illegal drugs and did loads of herbal stuff he bought in the healing fields and then had a massive bout of  diarrhea.

All about getting the most out of the festival.

Edited by rubick
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, danssol said:

Back in 2010 a big group of Lads next door had a toilet tent. They'd piss into a pringles tube and lob it in. The smell was pretty intense by Sunday

My mate actually took a proper toilet cubicle tent one year with a chemical toilet inside it. So much unnecessary effort carrying all that extra gear. She’s taken the step up to a camper van this year. 

• Upvote 1