Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

1 minute ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Herds of blanket case casualties with crust around the corners of their mouths wandering around on the Monday night  and also the huge supposed to be crew party in the Golden Moon Cafe in the Green Futures Field also on the Monday. 

In the 90's there was a bloke employed to rescue these "blanket cases" (a term I've not heard in a long time) and get them back to their home somehow.

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

In the 90's there was a bloke employed to rescue these "blanket cases" (a term I've not heard in a long time) and get them back to their home somehow.

Blimey, I'd forgotten about that. You're absolutely right, they'd slowly get herded up, assessed as to how gone on they were and then shipped home by the festival or handed over to professional help. A service like that doesn't seem necessary any more. 

3 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Blimey, I'd forgotten about that. You're absolutely right, they'd slowly get herded up, assessed as to how gone on they were and then shipped home by the festival or handed over to professional help. A service like that doesn't seem necessary any more. 

I listened to Emily Eavis on a podcast with Annie Mac recently and she was talking about having people still with them weeks and even months after the festival. 

20 hours ago, Skip997 said:

This.

Glastonbury is worse as a result.

On the 50th anniversary show someone referred to the folks that were here at the time.  I can't remember how they put it, but I think they said that in that society - as in all societies, there were a small proportion who had only their own interests at heart. 

I just don't want anyone who wasn't there before the fence to think that everyone was a kindly weirdo, hippy, punk, whatever - the vast majority were, but (as I'm sure is true today), there were a few b*st*rds too 😉

29 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I just don't want anyone who wasn't there before the fence to think that everyone was a kindly weirdo, hippy, punk, whatever - the vast majority were, but (as I'm sure is true today), there were a few b*st*rds too 😉

There were some real bastards about in them days.

Weirdly this added to the edge and excitement. For years I've been unsure whether I prefer the current extremely safe, clean, controlled, sanitized version or the edgy, somewhat dangerous, unpredictable and generally much more exciting version of days gone by.

The entertainment is better these days, for many years there wasn't really much after midnight, however this led to much more spontaneous creativity and interaction.

10 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Sounds like a Chris Morris sketch or something. 

9 hours ago, Skip997 said:

There were some real bastards about in them days.

Weirdly this added to the edge and excitement. For years I've been unsure whether I prefer the current extremely safe, clean, controlled, sanitized version or the edgy, somewhat dangerous, unpredictable and generally much more exciting version of days gone by.

The entertainment is better these days, for many years there wasn't really much after midnight, however this led to much more spontaneous creativity and interaction.

Yes, or a lot of time spent drunkenly talking boll*cks around the camp fire 😊

I know what you mean about the festival of old, but I'm not one to pine for it nostalgically. 

That was the festival of the day and it wouldn't exist in the UK as it is today - whether due to the changes the festival had to make, or the licensing controls or simply because some of those communities changed - whether through their own choice or not. 

On 7/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, dotdash79 said:

This is down to people recording everything and trying to go viral. Means people are aware that it can have a massive impact on their life outside. 

Yeah, definitely. The rise of social media and being "viewed" constantly. Although, I can't help feel that the clientele have changed over the years as well. More mainstream, less alternative/rebellious.

10 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

, I can't help feel that the clientele have changed over the years as well. More mainstream,

true, the big change with this was between 1999 and 2000.

On 7/25/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Forgotten about this, and yeah there used to be peeps literally wrapped in blankets or duvets shuffling around the site as the sun came up and they came down...

On 7/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, gigpusher said:

I listened to Emily Eavis on a podcast with Annie Mac recently and she was talking about having people still with them weeks and even months after the festival. 

You can maybe see them on the camera - the odd isolated caravan visible here and there.

22 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Can't help but miss this somehow even if it seems daft since I prefer it safer obviously. However as you suggest, sponteneity has been sacrificed.

5 hours ago, Neil said:

true, the big change with this was between 1999 and 2000.

Yep, and then another sea change again from 2002.

I didn’t start going until 2004. The sanitisation since then has been noticeable. 
I think that I prefer the only slightly sanitised version of 2004 than the current one. But it’s still a fantastic week

On 7/24/2022 at 10:42 PM, dotdash79 said:

This is down to people recording everything and trying to go viral. Means people are aware that it can have a massive impact on their life outside. 

Yeah social media and everyone having a camera at all times killed this.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:56 PM, Pinhead said:

sellers comin round yer tents,

This still happens every year, at least in Oxylers and Pennards. Had sellers come round our site multiple times on Wednesday, and at least once each morning every other day.

Remember one guy on Saturday morning this year at about 6am yelling "tobacco, NOS, coke" over and over as he walked around the tents.

Edited by Isaact

38 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Yeah social media and everyone having a camera at all times killed this.

This still happens every year, at least in Oxylers and Pennards. Had sellers come round our site multiple times on Wednesday, and at least once each morning every other day.

Remember one guy on Saturday morning this year at about 6am yelling "tobacco, NOS, coke" over and over as he walked around the tents.

i bought some 2CV off a random one year, was fantastic. 

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Think you mean 2CB, but fun anyway

you could be right, i think it was 2cv, i goggled it at the time  and checked it existed.

i also checked i wasnt buying a crap car.

Edited by Neil

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Crap car? Every bearded corduroy jacket wearing geography teacher aspired to owning one😉

can i guess: were you that geography teacher?

Also, I remember a lot of people fire juggle/singing or swinging the things around - I don't remember the actual name for them - around and doing random stuff like that in the campsites.

Poi? Is that it?

Stuff like that.

Fires in campsites on the Sunday when people were coming down.

Miss that kind of shit.

Chatting around a campfire, meeting your neighbours, picking up random people and going around the site together.

Honestly, reading this thread and I think I know the main thing that most of you miss (keeping in mind that 22 was my first!)

To me it sounds like you just need to go back to when there was more people on E/MDMA and less people on coke, nos, ket etc... 

Also as a side note, I used to love spinning Poi, can definitely still manage anything up to a forwards 3 beat or 5 beat weave, however, would probably struggle with anything more advanced... And there's definitely no way I'm flexible enough to do a weave behind my back anymore!!! I should get practicing for next year... Maybe bring LED poi rather than fire ones though!

6 hours ago, Neil said:

you could be right, i think it was 2cv, i goggled it at the time  and checked it existed.

i also checked i wasnt buying a crap car.

In 1985 I was hitching a lift from Wells to college and got a lift by a young woman driving a 2CV.  I was going to say she was called Heff and played sax in a band called Toxic Shock who mentioned they were playing at Glastonbury that year, but just did a quick search and found a page all about them - https://punkgirldiaries.com/toxic-shock-heff-and-al/

For a teenage loser like me it was pretty exciting being able to go to the festival and see them play.  According to this dodgy place it was on the enigmatically named "Second Stage"

https://ukrockfestivals.com/glastonbury-festival-1985.html

Edited by clarkete

7 hours ago, Isaact said:

We had in Dairy about a minute from Gate D only on Sunday afternoon. Not sure what the goal there was, bit late in the day for it (or maybe we weren't in)

Why's someone selling tobacco 😂