Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

4 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I used to like those marathon jamming sessions in some of the tents/cafe things. Think the Banyan Tree used to have 24hr ones ongoing throughout the festival (wasn't hat their undoing? They breached the license times for live music or something?), where people and acts could join in or take over the different instruments and some people were just amazing- seem to remember a jam leading into some Pink Floyd covers or some tribute band or something in 2003 in the early hours of the morning- it was great.

Seem to remember stumbling upon something similar between the market and the circus fields back in 2007 maybe. Though I think they had something similar as a tribute in the Greenfields a few years ago too.

I could never work out whether the music was really great (or even if they were even ongoing jam sessions) or whether it was just because I was high (maybe both!)- but it seemed like mind-blowing stuff at the time! Real or imagined, used to be one of my favourite bits!

There were many parties / soundsystems all over S of the railway line and one or two in T&C, plus even pop up or improvised stages at night in the '90's often run by various crews.  Different world and festi then - far, far less rigorously organised and audited.

On 6/11/2022 at 11:11 PM, DTichborne said:

1) Turning up on Wednesday morning, getting onsite in a few minutes and having a nice quiet day and a bit before the crowds really started to arrive 

2) Garlic Kitchen 

3) "BOLLOOOOOOCKS!" 

I miss Garlic Kitchen

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I used to like those marathon jamming sessions in some of the tents/cafe things. Think the Banyan Tree used to have 24hr ones ongoing throughout the festival (wasn't hat their undoing? They breached the license times for live music or something?), where people and acts could join in or take over the different instruments and some people were just amazing- seem to remember a jam leading into some Pink Floyd covers or some tribute band or something in 2003 in the early hours of the morning- it was great.

Yeah - the Banyan Tree used to proudly proclaim that they were the first venue to open and last to close - running 24/7 from 10am Wednesday to 10am Monday (though what was actually happening by that point on Monday I never saw).

The music side was run by Pink Fraud, who were of course a Floyd tribute act and they did usually do a couple of sets every festival with their members also usually involved in the jam sessions. It was mostly Open Mic during the day, with maybe a couple of more formal / scheduled sets in the evening, and then Jam sessions through the night. One other thing I remember it for was that it was full of (knackered but still comfortable enough) sofas, which was most welcome at times.

The music side got shut down at some point during the 2007 festival, for multiple violations of the volume limits (including after having already been warned) - and predictably the venue was not invited back in 2008, with the space being instead given to the never-quite-as-good Fluffy Rock Cafe.

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

There were many parties / soundsystems all over S of the railway line and one or two in T&C, plus even pop up or improvised stages at night in the '90's often run by various crews.  Different world and festi then - far, far less rigorously organised and audited.

yes, travellers and stuff. First time I went in 90 it was so different to now, no official organised stuff in middle of night just things set up everywhere, people with dogs, everyone having fires, a lot more anarchic and sometimes a bit scary.

• Like 1

Yeah there was one in the babylon markets kind of on the corner where the bandstand is today - they had a screen up as well with the archetypal factals and so on that used to accompany dance visuals in the day. Peeps were still dancing there when the sun came up....

I seem to remember getting dropped off by a National Express coach in 1998 in the pissing rain and having to walk trough the village along some lanes to get to the gate to enter the festival. The bus/coach drop off must've been a different place to where it is now. Is this correct or am I getting confused? I didn't have a ticket and, being young and naive, I thought I was going to get rumbled at any minute by security and removed from the area, didn't happen though.

There was also a stall that used to sell half a baguette made into garlic bread for a quid, I lived on that as I was a student at the time. If I felt rich i'd treat myself to the Aussie Steak Sandwich stall - which is still there!

Edited by Johnnyseven

On 6/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, Pinhead said:

It was 2008 and they got banned by market management cos everyone including underage peeps were getting really seriously trashed that year and complaints were made.... The bar was shut, then was opened up again a while later with new instructions not to serve in the blue 2l bottles any more...

There was even a haras fence and queue to the bar one year such was Brother popularity, anyone remember that?

I think all the 'official' wood piles have gone, though I have sometimes spotted the odd small one that probably pre-dated the site build but has been left behind. Almost no-one has fires back at camp now though (and with everyone out all night that might be a good thing with all those unattended fires left behind), but I remember them being everywhere - in the Pyramid, Other fields, outside Cider Bus (peeps used to unwisely burn their cups on them), pretty much anywhere in King's and dotted around most places S of railway line.

We have a fire by camp, everyone brings wood with them as the free stuff seems to be no more. The security aren’t keen on you having them now though, always get a few of them over and we have to repeatedly assure them that we won’t go to bed until it’s out or leave it unattended.  It’s less hassle going up stone circle to have it but not so great when you have  the cold walk back to your tent after it’s done. Big part of the festival still for us the old campfire 

1 minute ago, Sack truck said:

We have a fire by camp, everyone brings wood with them as the free stuff seems to be no more. The security aren’t keen on you having them now though, always get a few of them over and we have to repeatedly assure them that we won’t go to bed until it’s out or leave it unattended.  It’s less hassle going up stone circle to have it but not so great when you have  the cold walk back to your tent after it’s done. Big part of the festival still for us the old campfire 

Brother? Is that you?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

I seem to remember getting dropped off by a National Express coach in 1998 in the pissing rain and having to walk trough the village along some lanes to get to the gate to enter the festival. The bus/coach drop off must've been a different place to where it is now. Is this correct or am I getting confused? I didn't have a ticket and, being young and naive, I thought I was going to get rumbled at any minute by security and removed from the area, didn't happen though.

There was also a stall that used to sell half a baguette made into garlic bread for a quid, I lived on that as I was a student at the time. If I felt rich i'd treat myself to the Aussie Steak Sandwich stall - which is still there!

I think it used to drop you in Pilton. There was a bitch of a hill to climb with loose stones. I think it's the lane that runs next to Worthy Farm and Hithcin Hill down towards the Pyramid. But my memory might be shot too!

Just now, cheesey_toastie said:

I think it used to drop you in Pilton. There was a bitch of a hill to climb with loose stones. I think it's the lane that runs next to Worthy Farm and Hithcin Hill down towards the Pyramid. But my memory might be shot too!

Actually thinking on it - I think it brought you out next to where the Medical tent is now.

2 hours ago, Sack truck said:

Yeah I don't think they are officially banned or anything, just not openly encoraged..

5 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah there was one in the babylon markets kind of on the corner where the bandstand is today - they had a screen up as well with the archetypal factals and so on that used to accompany dance visuals in the day. Peeps were still dancing there when the sun came up....

15 mins in the night stuff is on.

shame I was too young to go back then! 

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

15 mins in the night stuff is on.

shame I was too young to go back then! 

Man that brought some memories rushing back.

Seeing the screens reminds me of Underworld in 1992 when they were Experimental Music Field. Mate had gone to bed after Shakespeare Sister (we still have no idea why we saw them either) so off I wonder for some raves and there in that field magical things happened. I am still unsure what I really saw, but it was amazing. Loads of visuals and I am sure they were on the top of a tower. Wish someone had filmed it.

For screens though nothing beats Chris Cunningham at the Big Chill. To this day I am still haunted by it. Lots of people walked away from that

Edited by fred quimby

On 4/10/2022 at 11:01 AM, crazyfool1 said:

fires and 3 for £5 wax flares .... 3 for £5 carlsberg traders 

whilst wasted we used to stand behind them, when they shouted 3 for a fiver we shouted 5 for a pound.... they wernt happy 😄