Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

On 6/9/2022 at 11:22 AM, UEF said:

The cinema field.

Yeah remember watching the England game there in 1998- it was pissing in down torrential rain. At the end we walked round to Other stage ( NME) and watched Catatonia but we’re too wet and cold to stay for Embrace headlining and decided to go back to tent to get dry and warm. It was about 10.30pm! 

An old dude with all this amazing wooden furniture he’d made, in the Healing Fields area - including a huge table everyone came and sat at.

But more to the point, he had a big ginger cat who was ridiculously chilled and just sat there getting fuss from everyone. 

Last seen late 00’s.

9 minutes ago, Janaka said:

An old dude with all this amazing wooden furniture he’d made, in the Healing Fields area - including a huge table everyone came and sat at.

But more to the point, he had a big ginger cat who was ridiculously chilled and just sat there getting fuss from everyone. 

Last seen late 00’s.

There’s still very much an incredible one in croissant Neuf and loads of wooden mushrooms dotted about …courtesy of @Sawdusty surfer

Haven't read the whole thread, so probably this has been mentioned.  Rumours from the outside world trickling in that someone has died (Tony Blair, Cliff Richard etc.).  Mobile phones ended that.

Mind you, I was late getting a mobile, so when word went around that Michael Jackson had died while the festival was on, I thought it was a hoax...

On 4/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, doogie said:

Tent thefts. Literally thefts of tents.

The relief was palpable when you got back to your tent at the end of the night and it was still there.

Am out of up votes.  This is very true.  All got much safer after the wall..

15 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Haven't read the whole thread, so probably this has been mentioned.  Rumours from the outside world trickling in that someone has died (Tony Blair, Cliff Richard etc.).  Mobile phones ended that.

Mind you, I was late getting a mobile, so when word went around that Michael Jackson had died while the festival was on, I thought it was a hoax...

Me and my friend did too- we heard the rumour, dismissed it as a hoax and then when all the stalls started playing Michael Jackson music immediately afterwards we said to each other "what a weird coincidence!"- the penny did not drop!😂

I used to like those marathon jamming sessions in some of the tents/cafe things. Think the Banyan Tree used to have 24hr ones ongoing throughout the festival (wasn't hat their undoing? They breached the license times for live music or something?), where people and acts could join in or take over the different instruments and some people were just amazing- seem to remember a jam leading into some Pink Floyd covers or some tribute band or something in 2003 in the early hours of the morning- it was great.

Seem to remember stumbling upon something similar between the market and the circus fields back in 2007 maybe. Though I think they had something similar as a tribute in the Greenfields a few years ago too.

I could never work out whether the music was really great (or even if they were even ongoing jam sessions) or whether it was just because I was high (maybe both!)- but it seemed like mind-blowing stuff at the time! Real or imagined, used to be one of my favourite bits!

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I used to like those marathon jamming sessions in some of the tents/cafe things. Think the Banyan Tree used to have 24hr ones ongoing throughout the festival (wasn't hat their undoing? They breached the license times for live music or something?), where people and acts could join in or take over the different instruments and some people were just amazing- seem to remember a jam leading into some Pink Floyd covers or some tribute band or something in 2003 in the early hours of the morning- it was great.

Seem to remember stumbling upon something similar between the market and the circus fields back in 2007 maybe. Though I think they had something similar as a tribute in the Greenfields a few years ago too.

I could never work out whether the music was really great (or even if they were even ongoing jam sessions) or whether it was just because I was high (maybe both!)- but it seemed like mind-blowing stuff at the time! Real or imagined, used to be one of my favourite bits!

The magic teapot was there for the first time in 2019 and I'm pretty sure they have 2 locations this time round. They're open 24/7, tea and coffee for donations, and people just jamming all night. They have piano, guitar etc. It's one of my favourite places at the end of a cold night, roaring fire in the middle and a place to chill and have a sing-a-long. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

The magic teapot was there for the first time in 2019 and I'm pretty sure they have 2 locations this time round. They're open 24/7, tea and coffee for donations, and people just jamming all night. They have piano, guitar etc. It's one of my favourite places at the end of a cold night, roaring fire in the middle and a place to chill and have a sing-a-long. 

Agreed, it’s the only way to end the night. ❤️

Definitely 2 teapots this year, one in the Green Fields area and one close to JP. It was amazing to see the team again at Bearded after such a long break.

The 4am substance-fuelled “cumbaya” was something else. 😂🤣

42 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

Agreed, it’s the only way to end the night. ❤️

Definitely 2 teapots this year, one in the Green Fields area and one close to JP. It was amazing to see the team again at Bearded after such a long break.

The 4am substance-fuelled “cumbaya” was something else. 😂🤣

That's great to know the 2nd one is near JP. I'll be in Toms field this year so that's perfect for us location wise x

On 6/8/2022 at 7:25 PM, Pinhead said:

Think nos has finally gone out of fashion as well. Never heard it once at either BD end of last year or Bearded once this year... Maybe its a demography thing mind.

Probably out of luck on this one from my experience. Less though definitely - not least because people have started using smartwhips which are like 80 of them in one big tube. So definitely less rubbish at least - its still sold outside venues all over London

On 4/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, tigertoo said:

Thursday night outside cinema. Back in the 90s that was just about the only official entertainment on the Thursday night. The most memorable one for me was Ghostbusters, the crowd were so chilled and happy singing along. It's still one of my happiest memories of my first few Glastonburys. 

It used to be in Kidney Mead back in the early 90s where I camped. You had the bizarre post sun up of sitting there listening to the sound but couldn’t see the images!

5 hours ago, Watergirl said:

And the T shirts appeared on site within hours with the predicted, "I was at Glasto when Jacko died" etc on the front.