Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

First few years I went in 09 and 10 we were still managing to have camp fires up in Big Ground. Absolutely loved it, used to have people filtering back to the camp from about 1am onwards and pulling up a pew with whoever still happened to be there to chat nonsense, review the day and have a quiet smoke. That was also when we still managed to get about 10 tents in the same vicinity. Happy times.

Having said that, there was also one night where we went to bed wondering if we'd all survive the night, so maybe a touch of rose-tinted glasses 😄

Edited by Quark

Absolutely love this thread.

Turning up mid-Thursday afternoon and picking your spot on Pennards

Camping at the end of the Old Railway Line in the days before Lost Vagueness / SL

Select Daily

Joe Bananas

The hammock shop next to West Holts (Jazz as was) when it was muddy for a rest

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

First few years I went in 09 and 10 we were still managing to have camp fires up in Big Ground. Absolutely loved it, used to have people filtering back to the camp from about 1am onwards and pulling up a pew with whoever still happened to be there to chat nonsense, review the day and have a quiet smoke. That was also when we still managed to get about 10 tents in the same vicinity. Happy times.

Having said that, there was also one night where we went to bed wondering if we'd all survive the night, so maybe a touch of rose-tinted glasses 😄

We had campfires every night in 2004, 2005 and 2007....in 2008 we only had a couple (Weds and Sun from recollection) and by 2009 everyone was starting to spend most of the night in the SE corner so by the time everyone got back there was no point as everyone pretty much went straight to bed.

The only exceptions since then was in 2011 on the Wednesday night when some of my mates decided just to stay at the camp and have a fire and in 2014 on the Sunday night after Kasabian we decided to have a fire instead of anything 'extra' as 3-4 of us were driving the following morning, still recall this woman coming over to complain about the smoke and that her clothes were starting to smell...how how times have changed!

5 hours ago, watsonjm said:

I'd forgotten about the Cinema field! (now JP field I think?)  Watching Iron Man at god knows what time absolutely sloshed.  

Good times. 

It was separate from the JP tent precursor because I recall walking from the Cinema field and being puzzled to see JJ Cale on in the "New Bands" tent 

Was there some kind of Jewish tent which did shabbat or am I imagining that? I do remember a very good Jewish fiddle group up in Lost Vagueness. Oh, and a group of young Christians that had a lovely hairdressers and gave free blow drys.

Yeah, the Jewish tent used to be right by the Hare Krishna tent.  I don't think I've seen it since 2010, when it was very small (like barely big enough for 3 people to fit inside) and they were basically just playing party music constantly.

Paying some bloke a fiver for a UV stamp that miraculously got you into the festival.

Somehow managing to find your mates in the dark in the lashing rain when the coaches were messed up and before mobile phones.

The girls on horses pounding up and down between the fences.

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

The original cinema screen that I remember at least was at the foot of Big Ground and remember watching star trek or something on it in 94 or 95 absolutely high as a kite...

I used to camp in Big ground back then and remember that being on. There was one film on a Thursday that got booed off, I thought that was Star Trek, but fuzzy memories could be anything. 

6 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

I used to camp in Big ground back then and remember that being on. There was one film on a Thursday that got booed off, I thought that was Star Trek, but fuzzy memories could be anything. 

It could well have been that for it was such shite.

4 minutes ago, Metal Monkey said:

First time I went I walked from the shuttle bus drop off seemingly miles outside gate B, past some local people giving out orange juice, then stopped on Big ground once I could see the Pyramid. Pitched the tent there, on a Thursday, loads of space!

The same - it was so much easier then to get dropped off and just pitch where you wanted which for us was Big Ground cos then the site was half the size...

Plus you were allowed to just drive through Pilton to that point with a wave from the old police at the junction... 

Edited by Pinhead

16 hours ago, shuttlep said:

That guy who did the whole festival naked,

every so often he woudl just be at the back of a crowd naked except for walking boots and a rucksack

My mate wore a sock covering his nob (chilli peppers style) in 2019 and stewards made him go and get dressed as they had received complaints

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pinhead said:

It was 2008 and they got banned by market management cos everyone including underage peeps were getting really seriously trashed that year and complaints were made.... The bar was shut, then was opened up again a while later with new instructions not to serve in the blue 2l bottles any more...

There was even a haras fence and queue to the bar one year such was Brother popularity, anyone remember that?

I think all the 'official' wood piles have gone, though I have sometimes spotted the odd small one that probably pre-dated the site build but has been left behind. Almost no-one has fires back at camp now though (and with everyone out all night that might be a good thing with all those unattended fires left behind), but I remember them being everywhere - in the Pyramid, Other fields, outside Cider Bus (peeps used to unwisely burn their cups on them), pretty much anywhere in King's and dotted around most places S of railway line.

I was one of said underage people in 2005 who can attest to getting totally ball bagged on the 2l bottle..! I think I woke up one morning outside my tent still holding the bottle..!

On 6/10/2022 at 7:19 AM, Ducky89 said:

I was one of said underage people in 2005 who can attest to getting totally ball bagged on the 2l bottle..! I think I woke up one morning outside my tent still holding the bottle..!

Ha ha - sound. Yeah it was getting really messy in Holts with all that cider flowin, with seveal peeps climbing up the flag poles at once, colliding with one another and throwing up!