Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

I borrowed a VW camper from someone in 1999 and they definitely checked me for glass then, with the justification about the cows on the farm - I know as someone was hiding under a duvet as he wanted to sneak through the fence and they weren't interested in him 😉 

Was it my mate Rick? One year, around that era, he got rolled up in a carpet and driven through. 
Checks must’ve been very lax / non-existent then as pretty sure our lot never felt the need to decant their spirits. 

10 hours ago, scarletmist said:

I miss getting back to your tent and finding a handwritten note from your tentmates that said "We're going to JazzWorld until 7, then Pyramid, meet you at Water Aid".

And I sort of miss being able to park next to the tent, apart from when someone decided on Saturday that they wanted to drive out and that they could get past all the tents and guyropes.

And I miss tickets going on sale in April and spending weeks persuading friends to come with and knowing that the tickets wouldn't sell out until maybe the week before.

But mostly I miss the underground, alternative and rebellious spirit of the festival; it was something that you'd never in a million years tell anyone at work that you'd gone to. It was a coming-together of people from across the country who were kindred spirits. There was nothing mainstream about going to Glastonbury, your parents/teachers/colleagues would often strongly disapprove of it.

So true! Now when I tell anyone - even those I’d previously avoid telling - that I’m off to Glastonbury they say they’re jealous, whereas years before they’d be looking at you with suspicion. 

And yes, I still miss JazzWorld 

• Like 1

I know all the young uns at work say they are jealous but I’ve never known any of them to actually try for tickets. Years ago when I was their age I used to keep it very quiet as they would all look at me like I was some kind of addict just for going. Times have changed.

i miss going to the naked sauna for cool drinks. I miss the Gin Palace. I miss walking through the old teepee area and finding a random bar that you never found again. I miss all the street acts I’m sure there’s only a quarter of what used to be. The giant baby in the giant pram 😀crucifix man and naked man. I miss Lost Vagueness like mad and hate Shangri La it’s far too busy. It’s hard to beleive that little kids used to come round selling edibles isn’t it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, angelin said:

i miss going to the naked sauna for cool drinks

It's still there, called Lost Horizons, up by the tee-pee field. I spend all of Thursday up there nude. Naked Thursday I call it! 

2 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Was it my mate Rick? One year, around that era, he got rolled up in a carpet and driven through. 
Checks must’ve been very lax / non-existent then as pretty sure our lot never felt the need to decant their spirits. 

His name is Bighair, although inevitably it's never been that big since I've known him. 

Your lot must be just naughtier and hate animals more than me 😜

3 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

one of the things that shocks me about all the 90s footage is the amount of glass!

1 minute ago, Drinky said:

Are there no more piles of firewood? I'm sure I saw some out towards CV East in 2017. Did they disappear in 2019?

Im not sure - but I think firewood and campfires were banned in 2019 purely because of the heat/dry ground and risk of fire spreading through dry grass - Im fairly certain the firewood stall in other field was still there - but closed up, similar I recall them saying no camping stoves too (but everyone ignored that) - but again, I think it was all related to the risk of fire spreading, I'd assume/hope that if its "damp" (just to keep the dust down mind!) then camp fires will be allowed again?

Although if you are in WV or Sticklinch - personal campfires are not allowed from what I have read - there is apparently a communal one, probably similar to Strummerville's campfire

22 minutes ago, Drinky said:

2 litre PET bottles of Brothers sold from the bar for 10 quid, which went away mid-festival in 2005 after i) all the bottles were strewn across the site and ii) all the drinkers were strewn across the site

Think it was later than that - 2008 or 2009?  I went for the first time in 2007 and distinctly remember the carnage (plastic and human) a couple of years later.

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

Think it was later than that - 2008 or 2009?  I went for the first time in 2007 and distinctly remember the carnage (plastic and human) a couple of years later.

99.9% sure they were gone by 2010, I had some brothers 'free pints' tokens that year that they were giving away on their website and could only get the normal pint cups and not the 2L bad boys.

36 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

99.9% sure they were gone by 2010, I had some brothers 'free pints' tokens that year that they were giving away on their website and could only get the normal pint cups and not the 2L bad boys.

It was 2008 and they got banned by market management cos everyone including underage peeps were getting really seriously trashed that year and complaints were made.... The bar was shut, then was opened up again a while later with new instructions not to serve in the blue 2l bottles any more...

There was even a haras fence and queue to the bar one year such was Brother popularity, anyone remember that?

I think all the 'official' wood piles have gone, though I have sometimes spotted the odd small one that probably pre-dated the site build but has been left behind. Almost no-one has fires back at camp now though (and with everyone out all night that might be a good thing with all those unattended fires left behind), but I remember them being everywhere - in the Pyramid, Other fields, outside Cider Bus (peeps used to unwisely burn their cups on them), pretty much anywhere in King's and dotted around most places S of railway line.