Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

30 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Where is it - I assume up by Strummerville but maybe not?

It's at the original Strummerville location - it's now backstage Unfairground, just by the South Western tip of their field. Some years it's been part of the area used by their crew bar, and so has been accessible that way, but I don't know if that's still the current layout or not.

1 hour ago, incident said:

It's at the original Strummerville location - it's now backstage Unfairground, just by the South Western tip of their field. Some years it's been part of the area used by their crew bar, and so has been accessible that way, but I don't know if that's still the current layout or not.

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

It's in the SE Corner, which is where they used to have the campfire back in the day. My mate took me during my first festival and I fell in love with the atmosphere there immediately. I used to love talking to single serving friends by the fire. It was awesome.

Thanks both - I knew Strummerville had been relocated but I didn't know exactly where from.

1 hour ago, Bradders said:

I think it was the first year of the queuing system, when it could take like an hour to get into the SE corner, that the old shortcut from the Craft Fields into Strummerville was still there. Waltzed in and out of Shangri-La all weekend.

Yeah, we did this too. Saved a little lot of time

On 4/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, gooner1990 said:

Agree with that.

When I started doing Reading festival in 1999 it was just watch the headliners then back to the campsite for chaos/sitting at randoms campfire/meeting people/generally being silly.

Doesn't happen at all now because Silent Discos and late bars are still open so people opt for that now.

This is a change for the better. Last thing I want when I get back to my tent is being kept awake all night by wrecked people who have nowhere else to go. 

• 1 month later...

A Stone Circle filled with fire and a few thousand people was the night time entertainment.  Just felt amazing to sit amongst all those people, look out at the festival as the hours drifted by bathed in campfires.  Since the introduction of the SE corner, it's just not as busy at the Stone Circle any more, and the fire has been replaced with mobile phone screens.  Didn't know how good we had it, did we?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Think nos has finally gone out of fashion as well. Never heard it once at either BD end of last year or Bearded once this year... Maybe its a demography thing mind.

Good. Littering fuckers. 

….hash though 😢

Edited by PassingCloud

9 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Think nos has finally gone out of fashion as well. Never heard it once at either BD end of last year or Bearded once this year... Maybe its a demography thing mind.

Yeah definitely none at Beerded, which was a welcome change. It’s very much a different demographic there, but I definitely remember it being an issue in previous years (albeit much less so than many other festivals) yet I didn’t here a single whoosh this year. 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:35 PM, chuckles07 said:

The first 2/3 mins of that get close. It’s the actual fires that I remember, the smoke swirling in the dark, it was fabulous. Elfnsafety nowadays wouldn’t allow it. Should bring it back. 

There was a bit on TV from 1992 which showed Shakespeares Sister on the pyramid then panned back all the way to the farmhouse showing all the fires and smoke. Looked amazing, saw it before I first went and never seen it since. 

3 hours ago, lebenski said:

A Stone Circle filled with fire and a few thousand people was the night time entertainment.  Just felt amazing to sit amongst all those people, look out at the festival as the hours drifted by bathed in campfires.  Since the introduction of the SE corner, it's just not as busy at the Stone Circle any more, and the fire has been replaced with mobile phone screens.  Didn't know how good we had it, did we?

I miss those days, with the constant drums going all weekend. 

• Upvote 1