Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

20 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Wine bar discos. 

Bonfires on the Pyramid 

Missing person pics at the gates 😢

The Wine bar disco was one of my early Glastonbury discoveries that showed me a side of the festival I did not get from watching on tv. We spent hours there on a Wednesday or Thursday night in 2009 just waiting for them to play a crap tune so we could leave, they didn't. We stayed, we danced and we even bought some their god awful wine. Happy days

28 minutes ago, alanr said:

I think it was 2013 we had just finished setting up our tents and were relaxing with a few beers when we saw 2 guys struggling to set a huge quechqua family tent ( brand new with labels still attached ). We initially had a good laugh at their efforts, then decided maybe we should help out. So went over, apologised for our amusement and offered to help. After erecting the tent I made a comment about what a great tent it was, the guys said "If you like it it's yours on Monday". That tent is still going strong having done several more Glastonburys and other festivals.

I once, while sitting with a friend (Bal) on the ground at what was then known as Top Webbs Ash, watched two blokes stagger up the hill towards us, evidently completely out of their minds. They then proceeded to try to put the tent up in front of us. They were even worse than these two blokes;

Anyway, after a (little) bit of laughing from our side, we decided to go over and help them. It turns out that they had tried to pitch the tent at the bottom of the hill, and in doing so had snapped a few poles to try to make them fit whatever fashion they had managed to construct. having failed abysmally they decided that it would be better to try further up the hill - which is where we were. Anyway, me and Bal managed to 'fashion' them some sort of a tent construction to live in for the weekend (gaffer tape is your friend in these circumstances) and in they popped, with one of them still clenching an empty bottle of Jack Daniels. We never saw them leave that tent once all weekend. I did once see one of them pop his head out of the tent, look around and then the said head, shot back into the tent, never to be seen again.

13 hours ago, dogeggs said:

I’ve been solely on the vapes for a few years now, but always revert to rollies just for Glastonbury. Anything less that actual smokes would feel like an unnecessary punishment.

Rollies in the crowd are such a pain, no point while i've only got 5 days to spend time rolling - i just buy straights for festivals

2 hours ago, kemosabe said:

I hope Glastonbury do a big social media campaign to at least try and stop people bringing them. They're absolutely awful for the environment and are obviously single use plastic (which the festival banned in 2019). I appreciate that people want to vape, but they should be encouraged to bring the reusable ones.

I agree they should be banned, awful for the environment. The thing with proper ones is theres more commitment to it and then people get hooked, one disposable is ideal for a group of people to share.

This will be my first year of festivals without tobacco. Have a Vaporesso GX-One that I've found holds a decent charge so that will be my plan for this festival season - going to buy another of the same model and use our trusty Anker to recharge the other  as required.

8 minutes ago, rubick said:

This will be my first year of festivals without tobacco. Have a Vaporesso GX-One that I've found holds a decent charge so that will be my plan for this festival season - going to buy another of the same model and use our trusty Anker to recharge the other  as required.

I quit smoking at the end of 2017 and was very worried about not smoking at festivals, I actually found it surprisingly easy! 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, tigertoo said:

Thursday night outside cinema. Back in the 90s that was just about the only official entertainment on the Thursday night. The most memorable one for me was Ghostbusters, the crowd were so chilled and happy singing along. It's still one of my happiest memories of my first few Glastonburys. 

I used to spend most evening in the cinema field, the best memory I have is when they plate The Goonies, I'd dragged a mate up there, who had never seen the film, and when the whole crowd were screaming HEY YOU GUUUYS it was magical 😄

The cinema tent just isn't the same 😕

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I agree they should be banned, awful for the environment. The thing with proper ones is theres more commitment to it and then people get hooked, one disposable is ideal for a group of people to share.

Yeah sorry don't get me wrong, I absolutely get their appeal. I just hope that Glastonbury at least ask people not to bring them (and don't let traders sell them).

If anyone is interested there seems to be some good tips here - https://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/ashtray-blog/2021/08/vaping-environment.html

23 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Ok that's weird, did they have a year off in 17 then? Definately didn't get one at a recent glasto, unless they just didn't have any when I entered.

EDIT - already been answered.  I should have finished reading the post before responding

Edited by Olshansky
already answered

4 hours ago, paulshane said:

I used to spend most evening in the cinema field, the best memory I have is when they plate The Goonies, I'd dragged a mate up there, who had never seen the film, and when the whole crowd were screaming HEY YOU GUUUYS it was magical 😄

The cinema tent just isn't the same 😕

Yes I agree the open air cinema had a kind of magic to it. The collective fun and joy, and the films were well chosen for a bit of crowd participation, the ones I remember being on the Thursday also had an air of excitement of the the days ahead. Yeah the cinema tent struggled to compare, but it's great that glasto has a go at trying all these things out. I can't wait to get back to worthy farm this year.  

7 hours ago, rubick said:

Same here, Just bought myself a new vape as a 7 months without cigs present to myself, slowly cutting the MG (on 3mg now) was considering not bothering for the week and just buying some baccy, cant give in if you don't buy it I guess, we'll see how it goes as the nights progress.

My one thing I'm going to try and do myself this year is not vape inside tented venues ala John Peel / Williams Green etc

On 4/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, buddiepaul said:

The late night entertainment was Joe Bananas blanket sta

On 4/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, buddiepaul said:

The late night entertainment was Joe Bananas blanket stall

YES. had great times there. And Energy24. Small stage with non stop dance music ask the way from Thursday morning until Monday morning at 9am. Spent hours and hours there all rights of the day. Anything know what happened to it? Guess it got superseded by the Naughty Corner of lost vagueness/Shangri la......

20 minutes ago, rgalbraith said:

From what I recall the last time Joe Bananas was there was in 2010....for whatever reason I think they ceased to exist after that (I know they used to be at other festivals and were nowhere to be seen after that year either)

17 hours ago, Stu H said:

Sorry if mentioned but I used to LOVE the Bourbon Blues Bar. Great vibe, always open late with top music (especially on the Thursday). Discovered 2 or 3 amazing things there in 2010/11.

Same here.  I remember walking out of there (or whatever it was called in 2009) to the Jackson news.  Always a good night, just no the same since they've made it the open sided bar (and the late night blues and jazz now fully gone is a blow also)

And I was also at that Goonies screening @paulshane and you mentioning the HYG made me grin, it was pretty special wasn't it.   

• Upvote 1

sound systems in the main market, joe bananas on the corner, big bottles of Brothers, crusty with a wheelbarrow selling beer on the bridge, outdoor cinema, starting at the top of muddy lane and having whatever you wanted by the time you got to the bottom, having enough room to play frisbee, having enough room for campsite fires, collecting firewood on Wednesday from the big pile, bootleg t shirt sellers wandering the campsite, dragon field being open to public, having to walk down the hill through the village from the coach drop off, the massive queues for the bank of payphones next to the pyramid...

but saddest of all... me having the ability to stay up past midnight...

2 hours ago, Greenelk said:

And I was also at that Goonies screening @paulshane and you mentioning the HYG made me grin, it was pretty special wasn't it.   

Us too, it was my son's stand out memory from his first Glastonbury, I really miss the outdoor cinema field. It was perfect for us with a young family, decamped up there with roll mats and sleeping bags.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

You can't easily visit the Joe Strummer memorial stone any more. Although I've always managed to charm one of the security to let me pay my respects, and get a cheap beer 

Where is it - I assume up by Strummerville but maybe not?

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Where is it - I assume up by Strummerville but maybe not?

It's in the SE Corner, which is where they used to have the campfire back in the day. My mate took me during my first festival and I fell in love with the atmosphere there immediately. I used to love talking to single serving friends by the fire. It was awesome.