Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Long time ago but def there in early 2000's....lots of pics of missing persons pasted up on the fence at entrances - I assume because GF could be a place such folks might head to or be recognised by other punters. I always found it very sad. 

Reverse of the phone card DSC_0785.thumb.JPG.d49d1fe052b13047395428962aff57f9.JPG

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Smoking in tents.

Is this even banned now? Like John Peel tent etc not personal ones (although you'd have to be pretty stupid to smoke in your own tent!)

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

It should be, not sure how they will enforce it when it’s busy. But by social norms indoor smoking is a big no now. 

Occasionally security people ask people to stop smoking in the tents. But the later it is and the more wrecked people get the less they seem to bother. 

4 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Occasionally security people ask people to stop smoking in the tents. But the later it is and the more wrecked people get the less they seem to bother. 

Interesting, I had never really considered it honestly.

I get second hand smoke but it all just goes upwards anyway and out of everyone's way - think i'll be a bit more considerate in the future (not actually sure if i have smoked in a tent before though honestly, probably though)

34 minutes ago, gfa said:

Interesting, I had never really considered it honestly.

I get second hand smoke but it all just goes upwards anyway and out of everyone's way - think i'll be a bit more considerate in the future (not actually sure if i have smoked in a tent before though honestly, probably though)

Given how disposable vapes have boomed in popularity, you'll see a lot more of them than actual cigerettes this year.

Thursday night outside cinema. Back in the 90s that was just about the only official entertainment on the Thursday night. The most memorable one for me was Ghostbusters, the crowd were so chilled and happy singing along. It's still one of my happiest memories of my first few Glastonburys. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

About a good 15 mins into Solange's set, two lasses on the pretence of making their way through the crowd decided to park themselves right in front of me & two younger girls & chatted non-stop through a set we'd been happily paying full attention to. After 10 mins of this Words Were Had.

would love to hear more. How did they respond?

8 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Didnt there used to be a hefty pile of (presumably free) firewood logs stashed at the side of the railway track - that everyone used to help themselves to?

Not just there, we stayed in (I think) Webbs Ash and for years someone brought a spare tent to hold a stash of fire wood - we did happily share the fire (and sometimes the wood) with others.

Frame tents of folks flogging drugs, especially up the hill from the pyramid. 

People travelling around the paths on their motorbikes.

Car parks not being separate from camping. 

Tons of signs up at the meeting points - which usually involved someone optimistically waiting every day 😊

15 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

The bags you used to receive on entry with a programme and lanyard etc. Think the guardian provided them, right? Can't remember if they stopped in 17 or 19, but I always liked the bags and have a wee collection of them.

They were still there in 2019!

image.jpg

9 hours ago, dogeggs said:

Didnt there used to be a hefty pile of (presumably free) firewood logs stashed at the side of the railway track - that everyone used to help themselves to?

Yep and generally gone by Weds lunch

5 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Although I didn’t go pre-super fence that video really reminds me of my early years at Reading in the late 90s/early 2000s and my first few Glastonbury’s and it’s certainly something I miss now at modern festivals.

92 at Reading it was cold and wet on the Sunday, upended the bins and built bonfires in the Arena to keep warm waiting for Kurt

2 hours ago, tigertoo said:

Thursday night outside cinema. Back in the 90s that was just about the only official entertainment on the Thursday night. The most memorable one for me was Ghostbusters, the crowd were so chilled and happy singing along. It's still one of my happiest memories of my first few Glastonburys. 

I always camped in Kidney Mead in the 90s. Outdoor Cinema was there. Vaguely recall one year, poss 92, sitting up all night watching films and they were still playing when it got light so all you got was the sound!

2 hours ago, Lithoniel said:

Given how disposable vapes have boomed in popularity, you'll see a lot more of them than actual cigerettes this year.

I'd actually prefer to smell cigarette smoke rather than breath in a whole blackcurrant/strawberry/vanilla vape fumes 🤮🤮🤮

I remember the outdoor cinema being up behind the New Bands tent (now John Peel) - where I heard it was customary to get dressed up every year for the annual Sunday night screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Never found out if that was true - maybe it still happens now..I’ve never really got round to finding out.