Glastonbury Hangover Night Routines

gfa

On 5/10/2022 at 3:23 PM, Raincatcher said:

As of 2019 my routine changed. It is now…

1. Wake up when the milk tractor is doing the rounds

2. Nip the coop for several bags of ice

3. Make pint of White Russian

4. Sit at camp and drink said White Russian.

5. Repeat step 3 and 4 ad infinitum until feeling better/too hammered to care anymore

I think I may have to get on board with this plan. Bloody Marys also work.

I think the biggest key to avoiding a mega hangover is to not go straight from having a drink in your hand to being asleep. We purposely camp on the opposite side of the site (Pylon) compared to where we like to party (SE Corner, Park or Williams Green)… the 45 - 60 min walk back to the tent at the end of the night with a bottle of water in hand gives some time to sober up. Also there’s always somewhere open to get drunk food at Silver Hayes on the way through if required.

Obviously that only helps so far and a combo of caffeine, paracetamol and hair of the dog is still needed the next morning 😂 but it definitely makes a difference. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, hjwright said:

You guys should try activated charcoal capsules. 1000mg before bed, when you wake up you'll feel like you'd drunk a fraction of the beer.

These seem pretty debunked online

On 4/10/2022 at 1:30 AM, elgatonegrofabricwardrobe said:

Stagger to a compost toilet to do whatever you can after crawling out of your tent. Fingers down throat repeatedly for fifteen minutes. Leave. Don't even think about food. Get back to tent and swig some warm water. Have a 40 minute lie down using the programme as a pillow on the grass. Rise. Open a can of cider and drink half. Hold it in. Pack a bag with cans and set off with no particular destination in mind. End up sat in a long drop in the rain with your head down. Raise your head and see a Seize The Day sticker on the back of the door. Hangover gone.

Or a Mooncup sticker from years ago and a flyer for Small World Festival.

Edited by Pinhead

29 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

A placebo work even if you know it's a placebo. Although I'll be sticking to dioralyte.

46 minutes ago, hjwright said:

I'm not sure they are, to be fair. Anecdotally it works for me and a lot of other people, it's at least worth a shot i guess

very true - if it works for you it works for you. might give it a go eh

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Coming back to this... did you start it after mate? I ordered some of the powders yesterday to give it a go, they should be coming today.

yes....I have been doing it during the week for last 3 weeks then allowing the weekends to have what I want. (effectively 5 on 2 off)

Dropped about 5lbs (2.26kg), I did it just for breakfast first week and breakfast and dinner since last Monday.

That all said, I'm probably about 3-4 stone heavier than I should be so the difference isn't particularly noticeable at the moment but I'm hoping in a couple of months it might be.

the cinnamon swirl flavour isn't that great, but I also have the salted caramel one which is a lot nicer...which I will reorder.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

yes....I have been doing it during the week for last 3 weeks then allowing the weekends to have what I want. (effectively 5 on 2 off)

Dropped about 5lbs (2.26kg), I did it just for breakfast first week and breakfast and dinner since last Monday.

That all said, I'm probably about 3-4 stone heavier than I should be so the difference isn't particularly noticeable at the moment but I'm hoping in a couple of months it might be.

the cinnamon swirl flavour isn't that great, but I also have the salted caramel one which is a lot nicer...which I will reorder.

Mine arrived yesterday. I got 1 bag of vanilla and 1 of chocolate. Tried vanilla yesterday, flavour is nice but the texture is definite going to take some getting used to. I found it a bit easier to drink when I added a little bit more water.

I didn’t feel too hungry yesterday after having one for lunch but that’s probably because I had breakfast. I normally skip breakfast anyway, always have. So see how I feel today with just the 2 meals, 1 being Huel. 

5lbs is still good going! 

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Mine arrived yesterday. I got 1 bag of vanilla and 1 of chocolate. Tried vanilla yesterday, flavour is nice but the texture is definite going to take some getting used to. I found it a bit easier to drink when I added a little bit more water.

I didn’t feel too hungry yesterday after having one for lunch but that’s probably because I had breakfast. I normally skip breakfast anyway, always have. So see how I feel today with just the 2 meals, 1 being Huel. 

5lbs is still good going! 

My method is to fill the water bottle up about 450ml, tip that into a food mixer, put in the Huel and then add a splash of semi-skimmed milk.

I'm currently having Huel for breakfast, lunch at work (bowl of soup, two slices of bread and granola yoghurt), then huel for dinner.

I think it works, but I suppose it depends whether you want to commit to having Huel for dinner instead of a meal long term....I may try some of the Huel meals as they are around 400 calories too same as one of the shakes.

• Thanks 1

Water before bed/electrolyte tablet in water when you wake up.  Then coffee/food.  In fairness I never get stinking hangovers, usually just tired and a slight headache.

Once went drinking with an ex-colleague of mine who's best mate (a pharmacist) was also on the night out.  He told me he had 8 Nurofen and a pint of water before the session and then 2 pints and another 8 before bed as this stops your brain and major organs from dehydrating, countering the diuretic effects or alcohol.  Then he proceeded to drink around 14 pints of Staropramen with seemingly no ill effects.  I heard he got up to play 11 a side football the following morning and was fine.  No wonder they called him George the Sponge.

12 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Water before bed/electrolyte tablet in water when you wake up.  Then coffee/food.  In fairness I never get stinking hangovers, usually just tired and a slight headache.

Once went drinking with an ex-colleague of mine who's best mate (a pharmacist) was also on the night out.  He told me he had 8 Nurofen and a pint of water before the session and then 2 pints and another 8 before bed as this stops your brain and major organs from dehydrating, countering the diuretic effects or alcohol.  Then he proceeded to drink around 14 pints of Staropramen with seemingly no ill effects.  I heard he got up to play 11 a side football the following morning and was fine.  No wonder they called him George the Sponge.

Sounds dangerous 🧐

12 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

8 Nurofen before and after? Isn't that a ridiculous amount?!

21 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

The info online says not to take more than 6 Nurofen in any 24hr period, so I'd be very wary of following this advice. But if he's a pharmacist who's doing it, guess he must know that his body can handle it....

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5646/smpc#gref

16 Nurofen would be 3200mg ibuprofen, you are probably unlikely to run into any serious problems at that kind of dosage however mixing ibuprofen and alcohol is likely to increase stomach sensitivity including up to stomach bleeding, there is also a correlation between high doses of ibuprofen and increased risk of stroke and heart attacks so probably not ideal if you are planning on taking anything that may put additional strain on your cardiovascular system. 

I personally sit around the camp until i've managed to at least squeeze out 2 trips to the toilet, that usually ensures i won't be woken up early by having to get up for a piss... Then get up and chuck a berocca in a cider. 

Edited by concerned

1 hour ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Sounds dangerous 🧐

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Not advocating it and would never try it myself.  Just throwing it out there!

The routine starts the night before:

1. Once I'm wasted, I pick up clues that I can't carry on much longer, I have my last drink, usually about 30-45 minutes before I head home.

2. Take my time to peruse all the sights and the encroaching dawn - which can last another 45 mins. Maybe head up the Ribbon Tower as there's no queues at that time. After 90-120 mins of not drinking, I've begun to sober up significantly.

3. Get back to the tent. Make a trip to the nearest toilets and then taps, filling up all the water bottles I can. At this time, there's no queue either and it's much faster than waiting for all the ladies (and some gents) to wash their hair the next morning.

4. Sleep with earplugs in for as long as possible.

5. Stir awake. Sip water. Sleep. Repeat until I'm fully awake.

6. Go find somewhere chilled to sit down but close enough to a stage to listen to music, and eat through a plate of whatever food takes my fancy. Have some magnesium pills, a berocca, and maybe a preventative paracetamol.

7. Once that's eaten, it's time to buy a refreshing cider, have a rollie/cigarette (the first of the day is always horrible, so I like to get it out the way as soon as possible), and slowly pick myself up to do it all again.

I don't think this has ever failed me and aside from feeling sleep deprived, I've never had any headaches or feelings of nausea at a festival, despite drinking and partying all day and night.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

i am actually dreading the mornings this year.

i had Covid back in Feb - had it real bad and was pretty much knocked out for a month or so.

i have the usual lingering things like fatigue, headache etc... 

but a weird side effect i have from it is that i get horriblel disproportionate hangovers now.

like i can have a couple of beers with dinner, and the next morning i feel like i've been out all night - its very odd and very annoying and i am not looking forward to it on the farm!