Regrets? I've had a few...

BluePaul

4 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

They didn't play a lot of their "hits" for that set mind. They were saved for the Williams Green (?) set later in the same day which I didn't go to but a friend did. Having said that so so I'm glad I saw them. 

I mean there was a good amount of PoaPA in there but they still did Modern Leper, Head Rolls Off, Keep Yourself Warm and Loneliness, which I'd call their main hits anyway. The split felt right at the time.  

• Like 1

I guess my big one is watching New Order instead of Adele. I was probably exhausted, hungry and not-drunk enough so it seemed far worse then it was. But I just wasn't having a good time at New Order, the sound quality was shit, I couldn't move for the mud and being  asked to move by those on stage was a little too much. But tbf I didn't expect anything from Adele so even if I'd left I doubt I'd of gone to the Pyramid. 

But as already mentioned on this thread missing Justice now hurts, I just didn't see a headliner that evening (saw two songs of Ed and fucked off - what a boring headliner he was) and went to the SE corner and then Piano bar. On the same evening I could of just headed to the Jamie XX thing at Beat Hotel too actually... I can only blame how excused I get on the sundays for my decisions haha. 

I saw Tame Impala instead of Stormzy, which wouldn't of been a regret but for the fact I was too far back for Tame and couldn't really hear them so got bored and wandered off, thereby missing two incredible acts instead of just one. 

I saw Earth, Wind and Fire instead of the incredible LCD set. They were amazing, uplifting in the mud and I'm content with my choice, but time will tell if I made the right decision or not (really depends if either play the festival again and if there's clashes).

Finally,  last year I saw The Killers instead of the Chems (who I missed in 2015 as well for The Who?). This is less of a regret as the Killers were great and I'm glad I got to catch them, but the clash was absolutely horrible and I'm still a bit frustrated by it now haha. 

Edited by kemosabe

What I would say is that there is no point regretting a decision based on the respective quality of performance. For example in 2017 I saw Phoenix instead of the Foos, the Foos are a band I’m just not fussed about and I wanted to get away from the Pyramid. Then I had messages from all sorts of people not at the festivals saying how epic the Foos were and how it must be amazing to be there. I still would never regret a decision like that because it was a conscious choice between two acts and you can never legislate for how each act will perform.

What you should never, ever do though, is what led me to see Sheeran instead of Justice. I bowed to peer pressure from my group, in that sort of scenario it doesn’t even matter how good the respective performances were, you’ll be consigned to a lifetime of regret regardless.

So never regret the choices you make based on what you think you want to see, but never compromise for others if there is something else you really want to see, because you will always regret that.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I have missed so much good stuff...how the fuck did I miss Pulp in 95 and Radiohead in 97? I blame bad decisions by the twats I was with.

In '95 you might have been at The Other Stage watching, erm, The Shamen. 

Again, I wasn't alone!

1 hour ago, oakdown said:

Not to rub it in, but that Other set was fantastic. Landed a barrier spot, had a great time despite the rain and blagged a setlist by being loud and Scottish in the direction of the security. The Williams Green gig later on in the day was even better though. Living in Colour was an easy highlight of the weekend. 

I mostly remember the weather being pretty miserable while they were on but that suited them perfectly. I was pretty tempted to go and see Dakhabrakha on West Holts instead, and by all accounts the handful of people who went seemed to have a great time there, but I’m really glad I saw one of my favourite bands in my favourite place while I had the chance.

52 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Chose Janet Jackson in 2019 over literally anything else.

Yup. Sigrid. Lizzo. Sharon Van Etten/Low. Foals. All better options. I know I’m never gonna see Janet again so it was always the obvious choice for me, but in hindsight it was certainly the worst choice. 

24 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup. Sigrid. Lizzo. Sharon Van Etten/Low. Foals. All better options. I know I’m never gonna see Janet again so it was always the obvious choice for me, but in hindsight it was certainly the worst choice. 

She didn't even do together again.

When even the guardian describe it as a set for the purists something has gone wrong.

Edited by Leyrulion

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

She didn't even do together again.

When even the guardian describe it as a set for the purists something has gone wrong.

Apparently it was supposed to be the last song but she ran out of time so had to cut it. Even though the rest of the set was somewhat middling, that one finishing things off would’ve made up for it a bit. Gutted. 

21 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Dilemma I have this year is whether to see Paul McCartney or not. I feel like I should because it will never happen again but equally not really fussed. Anyone else facing this dilemma?

Definitely, I'm well up for seeing Macca and i'd never see him otherwise but no doubt there will be something i'd prefer.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

There was a lot of talk beforehand on here about what a disappointment it was likely to be, so glad I listened to the efesters. 

3 hours ago, Fishman said:

In '95 you might have been at The Other Stage watching, erm, The Shamen. 

Again, I wasn't alone!

If you were going to miss Pulp that night, then Tricky on the JazzWorld or Portishead on the Acoustic would have seemed the more memorable choices..

This is such a great thread, some real bitter-sweet moments!  I don't have any real regrets save the one which many have said they harbour, in that the wish they'd found the festival sooner.  My first Glastonbury was 1999 and then the next was 2007....! I'd discovered clubbing in 2000 after a summer working on Ibiza, so when I got back the festivals for me were Homelands, Creamfields etc.  I've been every Glastonbury since 2007, so I've more than made up for it.

Seeing Massive Attack headline the Other over Kasabian in 2014.

I had seen Kasabian before so opted for Massive Attack who had been on the “to see” list for some time. 

Other people speak so highly of it, but I was stood there bored shitless & found it very dull. 
I was gutted listening to Kasabian from a distance & knew the few from my group who opted for them would be loving it. 
I was right, and I felt so bitter watching it back on iPlayer I don’t think I even made it through the entire set.

I know they are not everyone’s cup of tea (even more so these days) but it looked like such a party. 

34 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

Seeing Massive Attack headline the Other over Kasabian in 2014.

I had seen Kasabian before so opted for Massive Attack who had been on the “to see” list for some time. 

Other people speak so highly of it, but I was stood there bored shitless & found it very dull. 
I was gutted listening to Kasabian from a distance & knew the few from my group who opted for them would be loving it. 
I was right, and I felt so bitter watching it back on iPlayer I don’t think I even made it through the entire set.

I know they are not everyone’s cup of tea (even more so these days) but it looked like such a party. 

I fell asleep stood up during this set, so I really wouldn’t say you missed much.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, rubick said:

My biggest regret is not going to Glastonbury sooner than I did.

This. And going to see Keane to please my wife in 2010. We had to stand outside and noise bleed meant we couldn’t hear anyway. Oh, and missed Ray flippin’ Davies.

Ah, well. 🙂

On 4/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, rubick said:

My biggest regret is not going to Glastonbury sooner than I did.

100% this!  I haven’t even been yet, and that is absolutely my biggest regret as well.  Life just gets in the way, but it’s finally gonna happen in just over 2 months. Can’t wait 😁

Think you always get an element of regret at missing some acts at Glastonbury, because the line up is so varied you always miss out on some great sets,especially the stage headliners. 

One of mine is (I think) 2013 when I saw Chic over Portshead. The Chic gig on West Holts was brilliant fun, but obviously they have been to the festival since and hopefully will again but Portishead are less frequent in their festival appearances. 

If I have a choice to make I generally go for the act on the smaller stage, as the tv coverage is so good you get a second chance to watch the main headliners when you get home

The real regret I have is going to see Evan Dando solo over Nick Cave in 2013.

I had really, really loved Dando's Baby I'm Bored album for about years while not caring much for The Lemonheads, so as he was solo, was really hoping his set would lean heavily into that album. I think he played two songs off of it, amid a lot of Lemonheads material to a small tent of about 100 people. 

I finally got into Nick Cave about six months later, and slowly realised the gravity of my mistake. It wasn't like Evan Dando was that bad, but apart from a couple of songs, I just wasn't feeling it. I have made up for it by seeing Cave a number of times since, but none of those gigs seem to compare to how good the 2013 set was. 

I had to leave the secret Pulp set at the Park in 2011 before they came on due to an emergency poo situation brought on by the precious night’s indulgence. I found a long drop just in time but the area then reached capacity and I wasn’t allowed back in.

The night before was proper class though, my favourite ever at Glastonbury (despite the rain) so it’s only a partial regret. 

1 hour ago, Mark H said:

I had to leave the secret Pulp set at the Park in 2011 before they came on due to an emergency poo situation brought on by the precious night’s indulgence.

That does sound pretty unavoidable though, some risks you just can't take