Regrets? I've had a few...

BluePaul

I don't have many (or any?) in-the-moment choice regrets that come to mind. Even subpar experiences have their stories and are part of the experience. However, I do have some long tail hindsight regrets where I wonder where the hell I was for certain sets or moments that I would certainly choose differently now. Like Leonard Cohen. Oh the folly of youth not knowing how important he was. I needed an elder to drag me by my ear in that moment. I did walk past it or turn up at the end but should have been there.

The closest was probably Coldplay vs Primal Scream doing Screamadelica in 2011 but I was never going to be anywhere else at that time than Coldplay. I guess missing Ed Sheeran before he exploded might be another when he was playing 6 gigs in the weekend on mostly tiny stages. I could tell it was going to be the last chance before superstardom and had a clash for every single one except the last. I was in the Park and knew it was either a hard left or hard right to the stage he was playing, 50% of getting it right. Decided to stay put. I still don't know where the Snakepit is/was!

Never seeing Frightened Rabbit is one now. They were on after Christine and Queens the year she played Other. I could have stayed. No idea where I was instead. I didn't know them then though so again - only hindsight.

Anyone else find looking back that when they cut early or turn up late to a set they later cannot remember what the other thing was? I guess you only know when one blasts it (the one you remember being late/leaving part way for and you've no way of knowing which one until afterwards.

Variation on a theme, I did go to Glastonbury early - 1997, when I was 16 - but then it's like I totally forgot about the existence of the festival for 15 odd years. I made a lot of dumb decisions in my 20s but that's one that forever mystifies me. 

I don't have many regrets about the choices of act I've seen, life is too short... But leaving the festival early in 2016 and missing out on LCD was a massive mistake. I was just done with the mud and the wet, and stone cold sober 'cos I had to be home for work on the Monday (Also a massive mistake). Watching the set back though - ah, damn it. 😞

Went to Shaggy over Nile Rodgers & Chic a couple of years ago, think that is the only one I really regret now. I'd have actually liked to have seen Ed Sheeran unlike plenty here, but think that was the year he clashed with Boy Better Know and I went on my own to see them instead when 10-15 of my group were at Ed but don't regret that choice at all!

8 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I don't have many regrets about the choices of act I've seen, life is too short... But leaving the festival early in 2016 and missing out on LCD was a massive mistake. I was just done with the mud and the wet, and stone cold sober 'cos I had to be home for work on the Monday (Also a massive mistake). Watching the set back though - ah, damn it. 😞

You missed absolute ballache traffic though mate!

3 minutes ago, David_303 said:

You missed absolute ballache traffic though mate!

Actually that's just jogged my memory - I wanted to get out in daylight 'cos I was worried about the mud & there were horror stories going around about cars getting stuck & queues in the car parks. I think that year there was a different crew driving the recovery tractors or something, definitely a lot of confusion & chaos.

In any case, from where I was parked I got out in 10 minutes with no issues whatsoever... Probably was the right choice given I did need to get home. But still regret it! 

15 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

New Order over Adele. As others have said, it just never got going. Was it due to fans not getting the band going or vice versa? Only poor headliner I have seen so can’t complain though.

Only time I've ever been right at the front at a big stage so perhaps for that reason I loved it more than most. Think the missus still hates me for making her miss Adele though!

Watching Liam Gallagher over Katy Perry in 2017, no massive interest in Katy Perry but would have had a better affect on my mood on a Saturday evening than being shouted at by an angry manc. Knew I’d made a mistake a few songs in but doubled down on my mistake by staying there for the whole set. Got a major attack of Glastonbury blues and ended up sitting down contemplating going home. Didn’t help when I met back up with my wife who had had a fantastic afternoon and was absolutely buzzing, we then decided The Jackson’s was a better way to spend the evening, they were great, but looking back I should have gone to the Foo’s, but I wasn’t in the mood for a rammed pyramid field. 

shows how one bad decision can fuck up your whole day.

fortunately we both had a fantastic Sunday, even if we made another mistake by seeing Ed Sheeran who was quite possibly the most boring thing I’ve ever had the misfortune of sitting through.