Regrets? I've had a few...

BluePaul

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I did that bottom line.  Not the best New Order set by any stretch but who cares

Sigor Ros instead of underworld then the other two

The decision not to go to Underworld went right down to the wire!

15 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

My only regret is watching stupid Muse and the stupid Globalist instead of Underworld. 

Underworld - New Order - LCD would've been a GOAT headline trio, instead it is forever tainted. 

Ditto, I made similarly bad choices in 2016, although I didn't see Adele. I didn't see any headliners Saturday night but caught the end of M83 who were quite good 

Just now, Calvin Klein said:

Chic instead of Portishead, although fortunately I realized I was making a mistake after 20 minutes and run to see Portishead instead. I caught about 50 minutes. But I should have gone from the start.

That was a terrible clash, but Chic at West Holts is tied with Blur for my favourite Glastonbury set of all time

3 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Chic instead of Portishead, although fortunately I realized I was making a mistake after 20 minutes and run to see Portishead instead. I caught about 50 minutes. But I should have gone from the start.

I must have passed you going in the other direction!  Did about 40 minutes of Portishead, who were great, but had this overwhelming urge to get some disco on so legged it down to West Holts for the last half hour.  Got the best of both worlds that night.  And weren't Arctic Monkeys headlining Pyramid at the same time?  That was a clash for the ages!

Not seeing LCD, my phone had broken thanks to an epic Friday with Underworld and the SE until sunrise. So didn’t want to leave the group I was with and risk not finding the LCD group, wish I’d just chanced it and watched it alone if needed

The only one I've got, and I'm still not sure if I really regret it, was picking Ash over Stevie Wonder. My thinking was "Yes I like some of his stuff but he's also got some absolute stinkers whereas I still throw on Ash's singles album on a fairly regular basis" so off I went.

26 minutes ago, rubick said:

My biggest regret is not going to Glastonbury sooner than I did.

Yep this. I genuinely couldn't afford to go in the late 90's when some of my friends went but I didn't start going until 2010 and had been talking about it for a few years so I probably missed out on some belters. 

As with many others, I just don’t know why I’d not gone to Glastonbury earlier, I had gone to a few festivals and loads of gigs so it’s a serious misjudgment. 

I’ve no great regrets with missing acts at the festival as I’ve caught most of them anyway, but very happy to have seen many legends at the farm. 

Otherwise, it’s Bowie as my big regret. There’s plenty of times I could have seen him at the Glasgow Apollo but in the late 70s punk and new wave were happening and vital. I went to see The Stranglers and The Jam and The Clash instead. Then I had a ticket for T in the Park where he was headlining, but he fell ill. The Darkness replaced him, which if it wasn’t so tragic it would be funny!

6 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

This is the impression I have too, although we've never met.  Which is a shame because bright eyes are one of my favourite bands.  What happened to you with him?

Oh I never met him personally either. His performance in 2005 - the one I saw - was infamously irascable. He stumbled onto stage an angry drunk and slagged off John Peel (who'd only died a year earlier), the charitable motives of the festival (he particularly had it in for the Make Poverty History campaign), and the punters in the crowd with their shiny credit cards. It was all very sour. I was having a bit of an introspective phase at the time but his music isn't really my speed so he's never won me back over. 

7 minutes ago, TheSheriff said:

Prodigy over Blur 2009, other than that I stick with my choices

I saw the Prodigy too and would do the same again. Also got to see a good bit of Gong after the Prodigy which was an incredible bonus. 

Missed Iggy in 07. But was at John Fogerty so cant really complain. Although defo could've caught some of him.

Edited by The Nal

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Also really regret missing that legendary LCD set in 16, but Mrs J really wanted to see Coldplay and I have to admit they weren't too bad.

image.png.fcb4d1c7472f8e88fc54ba61085eb44a.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bradders said:

The Streets over Beyoncé.

Sea Power over Neil Young.

The Streets was billed as their last ever tour. I was only 19 for the Neil Young mistake, I did catch the last half hour but there’s really no excuse, good as Sea Power are.

Done the same kept going between stages but the streets were immense but should of realised it was never going to the last one 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Biggest regret, and the one I have never been able to live down, was skipping Arcade Fire in 2007 to see Kasabian instead.

Also really regret missing that legendary LCD set in 16, but Mrs J really wanted to see Coldplay and I have to admit they weren't too bad.

Meh. Arcade Fire were only alright in 07. 

Same for me with Coldplay. But Mrs Nal would've been going on her own otherwise.

FPDACCpXIAM8SWe.jpg

52 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

In retrospect missing Blur would be my regret, although at the time I wasn't particularly enamoured with them, so who's to say if I had watched them I would have got a lot out of it. Having watched the set since, it really was a true Glastonbury moment and I now wish I had been there.

I've got the full show squirrelled away somewhere but am not sure whether to watch it or not in case it doesn't meet the probably rose-tinted glass infused plinth that gig sits on in my mind as the unsurpassable best experience at a show possible. Something magic happened that night for sure.

I too wasn't bothered with them at all. I was by the time I left.

27 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

I must have passed you going in the other direction!  Did about 40 minutes of Portishead, who were great, but had this overwhelming urge to get some disco on so legged it down to West Holts for the last half hour.  Got the best of both worlds that night.  And weren't Arctic Monkeys headlining Pyramid at the same time?  That was a clash for the ages!

Chic were great, but I was standing somewhere where I couldn't see much and the sound wasn't great. I also realized I didn't care much for Chic while I've always loved Portishead.  😂 

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Meh. Arcade Fire were only alright in 07. 

This.  Win had a bit of a cob on with the crowd and (obviously) the weather was dire.  Girl behind me wanted me to take my hat off because it was blocking her view of the stage.  All a bit flat really.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Biggest regret, and the one I have never been able to live down, was skipping Arcade Fire in 2007 to see Kasabian instead.

Mrs Beaver89 left LCD after three songs and CHOSE Coldplay as opposed to being dragged to concerts by me up to that point, on a tour we had already seen only a couple of weeks earlier! She has no regrets but does acknowledge the show got a lot better having seen it on TV since and would not make the same choice again. (She had a good time - that's the important thing!)

Special moment in that show for me was James Murphy talking to us before playing and saying they knew we were soaked and exhausted, they were just going to do their thing and they'd be grateful for anything we have left. Between that and the crescendo design of the set, our boots may be stuck to the floor but the rest of us was moving!

I hear what people are saying about regretting not going to the festival earlier but it is a weird one for me as going in later years has only really confirmed what I suspected in that I am a far more chilled and easy going person now than I was "back in the day".

Like a lot of suburban males in the late eighties and early ninety's, it was all about fighting at football and raves in taken over warehouses in the mill towns surrounding Manchester.  Then I ended up all over the world in a uniform with a rifle in my shoulder (rather than take the route to addiction and a possibly untimely demise like so many aquaintances).

Music has always been a massive part of my life as have gigs and festivals but just different ones to the big G.  I am comfortable with being a late bloomer and don't regret not going earlier and am very happy with how it is RIGHT now.

As I have said to a few people.  The 21 year old me would have liked the edginess and chaos of the 21 year old Glastonbury.  The 52 year old me is more than happy with the mostly less chaotic and less edgy Glastonbury

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

Mrs Beaver89 left LCD after three songs and CHOSE Coldplay as opposed to being dragged to concerts by me up to that point, on a tour we had already seen only a couple of weeks earlier! She has no regrets but does acknowledge the show got a lot better having seen it on TV since and would not make the same choice again. (She had a good time - that's the important thing!)

Special moment in that show for me was James Murphy talking to us before playing and saying they knew we were soaked and exhausted, they were just going to do their thing and they'd be grateful for anything we have left. Between that and the crescendo design of the set, our boots may be stuck to the floor but the rest of us was moving!

This 1000%.  I am so there in spirit with your second paragraph.  After that Fucking news we all had to hear on Friday morning I needed a big man hug from Mr Murphy.  Got something in my eye here..

• Upvote 1