Started a thread I was enjoying yest but been taken down: I've never seen a headliner on the _____ stage

gbell36

Started this thread yesterday which seemed a hit and was enjoying the responses. Sorry if it’s somewhere else 🙁

But simply…. Fill in the gap.

I was thinking recently which stage I've seen headliners on the most, think The Park was an early favourite but often at West Holts now.

Then tried to think if I've ever seen a headliner on The Other stage and concluded I hadn't and it's probably the only main stage where this is the case.

Which main stage have you not seen a headliner on andwhy?

• Upvote 1

Since 2007, seen headliners on the Pyramid, Other, West Holts, Park, Acoustic and Avalon.  Never seen a headliner in John Peel although seen loads of bands there at other times.  Just always been more attractive options.  FFS was probably the closest I got to breaking my duck.

Just now, BluePaul said:

Since 2007, seen headliners on the Pyramid, Other, West Holts, Park, Acoustic and Avalon.  Never seen a headliner in John Peel although seen loads of bands there at other times.  Just always been more attractive options.  FFS was probably the closest I got to breaking my duck.

In 2015? I'm pretty sure that FFS went on last - I was there too. 

I've seen headliners on Pyramid, Other, Park, West Holts, and John Peel so I've got gaps for Acoustic and all the smaller stages. Although I've got a varied music taste the draw of a big name seems too much to resist. 

1 minute ago, Ingobernable said:

In 2015? I'm pretty sure that FFS went on last - I was there too.

Sorry didn't make myself clear - I wanted to go and see FFS but didn't.  Mrs BP wanted to see FKA Twigs on West Holts and we went from there to see Idlewild in Avalon.  Good, but probably the wrong call.

Just now, BluePaul said:

Sorry didn't make myself clear - I wanted to go and see FFS but didn't.  Mrs BP wanted to see FKA Twigs on West Holts and we went from there to see Idlewild in Avalon.  Good, but probably the wrong call.

Ah yes, I've misunderstood. We all have to make compromises with our key festival teammates. 

Just now, cdm22 said:

Not seem one in John Peel or on West Holts. Not really a fan of the John Peel tent when it's busy but am normally at Park or Other for headliners anyway.

It might just be my taste but the John Peel headliners I've been at (Bright Eyes, FFS, Metronomy, Phoenix) have been some of the quietest I've seen those tents - people are more likely to get drawn elsewhere at that time, maybe. 

I've seen headliners at Pyramid, John Peel, The Park, West Holts and Avalon but not the Other or Acoustic (though I did see Art Garfunkel who was second top, which now I think of it, seems surprising).  That was really great, I was near the front, his voice I thought had held up well, but he was absolutely bonkers!

2 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I've seen headliners at Pyramid, John Peel, The Park, West Holts and Avalon but not the Other or Acoustic (though I did see Art Garfunkel who was second top, which now I think of it, seems surprising).  That was really great, I was near the front, his voice I thought had held up well, but he was absolutely bonkers!

ah, if he was second top then i havnt seen an acoustic headliner either! he seemed a decent fella, quite rambly and the poetry wasnt particularly necessary, but his voice is beautiful and the chance to see some of those songs live will always live long in my memory. His son being an absolute miniature Art was really cool 😄

39 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

It might just be my taste but the John Peel headliners I've been at (Bright Eyes, FFS, Metronomy, Phoenix) have been some of the quietest I've seen those tents - people are more likely to get drawn elsewhere at that time, maybe. 

Sigur Ros seemed pretty busy, although they were a very big JP headliner, but yeah M83 and Phoenix were both half-full at best. I suppose both were up against some big acts and as you say, people are more likely to end up at one of the big two or somewhere a bit more central. 

I haven't seen a Park headliner yet. There's been a few I've fancied but there's always been better options elsewhere. I don't think that will change much this year based on the current guesses but I'd like to end a night there at some point.

JP for me... I don't know what it is but I have never got to grips with that stage.

I think because a lot of the headliners tend to be acts that are always doing the rounds anyway, and that it's sort of inside, I think I would feel like I was at Manchester Academy and not Glasto, when I could be having my mind blown at West Holts instead.

Edited by FrancisH

13 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I haven't seen a Park headliner yet. There's been a few I've fancied but there's always been better options elsewhere. I don't think that will change much this year based on the current guesses but I'd like to end a night there at some point.

It's a nice place to end the night. Park headliners I've seen (My Morning Jacket, Richard Hawley, Flaming Lips, Hot Chip) have all had audiences that wanted to be there rather than being there for the sake of it, and because of the competition elsewhere on site, they never felt really rammed.  Lovely vibe each time.

And then after the set has finished, The Park is a really good place for relatively chilled after hours fun, or just sitting up by the sign looking at the lights across the site.  Had many a 'moment' up there at that time of night.

27 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

ah, if he was second top then i havnt seen an acoustic headliner either! he seemed a decent fella, quite rambly and the poetry wasnt particularly necessary, but his voice is beautiful and the chance to see some of those songs live will always live long in my memory. His son being an absolute miniature Art was really cool 😄

Yeah he finished in time for me to go and meet my daughter and go to see Adele.  One of her friends asked who I'd been to see and when I said Art Garfunkel, he looked blank.  Even when I said "you know, Simon and Garfunkel" he still didn't have a clue!

And it's funny, this is what he looked like that night (AG that is not my daughter's friend) image.png.7e2e226c44b65f5d0593f3949829e9b8.png

but in my head when I think about it he looks like this:

image.png.9c4c6ab5a37746879eb15fc8d73b4272.png

Edited by Beerqueen

I've never seen a headliner in John Peel. 

West Holts is definitely my favourite stage for a headliner - the atmosphere is brilliant and usually a good crowd too. 

6 hours ago, FrancisH said:

JP for me... I don't know what it is but I have never got to grips with that stage.

I think because a lot of the headliners tend to be acts that are always doing the rounds anyway, and that it's sort of inside, I think I would feel like I was at Manchester Academy and not Glasto, when I could be having my mind blown at West Holts instead.

Agree, headliners more of the moment perhaps. not a fan of enclosed tents 

6 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah he finished in time for me to go and meet my daughter and go to see Adele.  One of her friends asked who I'd been to see and when I said Art Garfunkel, he looked blank.  Even when I said "you know, Simon and Garfunkel" he still didn't have a clue!

And it's funny, this is what he looked like that night (AG that is not my daughter's friend) image.png.7e2e226c44b65f5d0593f3949829e9b8.png

but in my head when I think about it he looks like this:

image.png.9c4c6ab5a37746879eb15fc8d73b4272.png

He was quite bonkers! The poetry was tedious but agree his voice was so much better than expected. An absolute treat. Slightly spoilt by the guy in front of me bellowing out the sound of silence (mouth it man!)

10 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

He was quite bonkers! The poetry was tedious but agree his voice was so much better than expected. An absolute treat. Slightly spoilt by the guy in front of me bellowing out the sound of silence (mouth it man!)

There was a lot of things that stick in my mind.

The fact that there were a bank of chairs inside the tent that it was really difficult to navigate past.  And when I accidentally stepped on a blanket (FFS!) (inside a fucking tent!) I was told off for sullying their precious blanket (in 2016 when mud was everywhere). 

I was wearing my Tarp Festival hat and someone behind me actually said " I always get behind someone tall".   I am 5' 3 and a half.  I took my hat off though.

The poetry.

Mini-me son.

But..... the fact his voice was still beautiful.

• Upvote 1

Been 4 times and a major headliner gap for me is Other stage. Done all the other main stages, and Silver Hayes. Can’t remember if that’s the name of the stage or the whole area, but saw Nas there. 

Anyone else find looking at old posters that a lot of nights they don’t even see a headliner and just mooch about? I know it happens but surprised how much so with me.