Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

Just now, Dazmandingo96 said:

and i believe Jack white is as good as done for the Park secret set. going with the last few years secret sets, and what they have went on to do. seems abit regressive for me. especially watching last nights documentary and how Glastonbury is ever evolving. this years secret set seems to be abit of a kop out.

Massively in my eyes. George Ezra literally played in 2017 and 2019. His music is for want of a better word, universally acceptable, and would get a big crowd but such a let down and in no way deserving of a 'secret set'. I blame myself with all the big names being thrown around in here. Very poor secret sets this year all round 😞

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, foolsgold1981 said:

My guess is that they'll both have exclusivity deals that prevent them playing "full" sets at other festivals...

This might be the case with the Chems.  They also played a full live show in 2019, so would never have been considered to do the same again this time (given you probably have to also chuck more money at them to do the live show vs dj).
Re: Hopkins, his last album was basically ambient music, and he's been touring it at places like the Albert Hall.  I don't think it would work at Glasto.  He's also sort of semi-transitioning back to music-with-beats through the process of dj'ing (as far as I can work out), so I think is very much enjoying dj'ing atm, and certainly sees that as an important part of his arsenal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Saving the day at this point would require The Smile, Green Day, TWOD or Arcade Fire... 

I know it's quite unlikely because of logistics, but I'm choosing to believe it's The Smile. Thom and Jonny love the festival (as seen in last night's documentary with Thom Yorke surprisingly sounding giddy about the place) that I think it's possible they'll fly back for one day. It is the first glasto in three years after all. 

Much as I'd love to see The Smile, I suspect that flying back for one show might not sit well (environmentally) with them.  Anyone checked the Eurostar timetable?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ed90 said:

Much as I'd love to see The Smile, I suspect that flying back for one show might not sit well (environmentally) with them.  Anyone checked the Eurostar timetable?

Good point. Eurostar runs very regularly but yeah maybe it is a stretch of the imagination. Just a big surprise they aren't gonna be there, you would have thought they'd be itching to get back to the farm like the rest of us. Anyway, if it is Jack White then at least that locks in Elbow at the pyramid for me. 

42 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Other than Wolf Alice on the Friday, do we have an idea of the other secret sets on BBC introducing?

Fri - Wolf Alice

Sat - Idles

Sun - Arlo Parks

???

I think everyone knows this, but just want to reiterate that Wolf Alice (DJ) is the only one with actual info.  The other two are a guess because they're curating and Wolf Alice are too, so the assumption is that the other curators will play a slot too.  But we don't know that.

EDIT: and not a scooby whether if they did play, whether it would be live or DJ.  

Edited by stuartbert two hats
two-> too

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think everyone knows this, but just want to reiterate that Wolf Alice (DJ) is the only one with actual info.  The other two are a guess because they're curating and Wolf Alice are too, so the assumption is that the other curators will play a slot two.  But we don't know that.

EDIT: and not a scooby whether if they did play, whether it would be live or DJ.  

Out of likes but thanks 👍🏻

From someone onsite now…

Those Sunday Glasto tbc’s are Anderson Paak (west holts) and Arcade Fire (john peel). Harry Styles playing with Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa playing with Megan The Stallion, Chemical Brothers on Arcadia (Friday night) and Green Day playing somewhere small.

2 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

From someone onsite now…

Those Sunday Glasto tbc’s are Anderson Paak (west holts) and Arcade Fire (john peel). Harry Styles playing with Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa playing with Megan The Stallion, Chemical Brothers on Arcadia (Friday night) and Green Day playing somewhere small.

There isnt a West Holts TBC for starters 

2 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

From someone onsite now…

Well, that goes against everything we've been told 

1 hour ago, Jacksamthompson said:

Taken from Chemical Bros last DJ set in Printworks: "One of the most influential acts in electronic music, The Chemical Brothers’ DJ sets are without peer, full-on acid house with fresh tracks and forgotten vintage classics mixed up in a style that is unique to them. In 2017, they had a few new tracks to test out on the Printworks’ audience which formed the cornerstones of one of their career-best albums – 2019’s ‘No Geography’. Nascent versions of ‘Got To Keep On’, ‘MAH’ and ‘Free Yourself’ were tested out on an unsuspecting audience during the 3-hour ride."

They also played Swoon, Darkness you Fear, two new songs (one is called No Reason to Live, search it on youtube its banging!) and a short clip of Go. For a DJ set thats a very decent amount of their own stuff.

1 hour ago, downtherabbithole said:

I don't understand why they are getting Jon Hopkins and Chemical Brothers to play DJ sets. It's like getting Messi to play on your football team and sticking him in goal 

1 hour ago, downtherabbithole said:

I know but it will definitely be disappointing for a few people, seen on here already. Especially Jon Hopkins, his live set and his general music is absolutely incredible. I'll feel pretty frustrated if he does a dj set and just drops one or two tracks of his own work. Still, you're right. Better than not having them there at all

People would complain even more if Chems, who have done other stage 4 times now came back to do it a 5th after playing at the last festival 😂

59 minutes ago, Ed90 said:

This might be the case with the Chems.  They also played a full live show in 2019, so would never have been considered to do the same again this time (given you probably have to also chuck more money at them to do the live show vs dj).
Re: Hopkins, his last album was basically ambient music, and he's been touring it at places like the Albert Hall.  I don't think it would work at Glasto.  He's also sort of semi-transitioning back to music-with-beats through the process of dj'ing (as far as I can work out), so I think is very much enjoying dj'ing atm, and certainly sees that as an important part of his arsenal.

That Forwards festival in Bristol is very nearby and ran by the Silver Hayes people which would make sense. To be honest they were never going to come back and do the live show this year after doing it last year.

2 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I'd like to see them do their own stuff.

After headlining Other in 2019, this was never going to happen.  I thought it was a pretty mediocre setlist then, but the backdrop/lightshow was still incredible.  They don't need all that kit for a DJ slot so will probably come cheaper and be a lot easier on the logistics.

1 hour ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

and i believe Jack white is as good as done for the Park secret set. going with the last few years secret sets, and what they have went on to do. seems abit regressive for me. especially watching last nights documentary and how Glastonbury is ever evolving. this years secret set seems to be abit of a kop out.

i understand its musical opinions and jack white is liked by a lot on the forums. in my opinion its abit of a missed opportunity to get a potential headliner a sighter for next year.

Any names in mind?  

6 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

From someone onsite now…

Obviously this is a wind up but how great it would be if this is true. Tbf Chems obviously is and Harry is likely, but the rest...

1 minute ago, jonnyisRFC said:

He wouldn’t be on the wind up at all, just telling me what he’s heard. 

wind up = anderson paak playing a non-existant slot

this post = wind up

9 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

After headlining Other in 2019, this was never going to happen.  I thought it was a pretty mediocre setlist then, but the backdrop/lightshow was still incredible.  They don't need all that kit for a DJ slot so will probably come cheaper and be a lot easier on the logistics.

Any names in mind?  I

Ignore sorry 

Edited by downtherabbithole