Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I was thinking this myself. The sign writer would need to be pretty naive to think posting something like that wouldn't be jumped on.

Yup, I don’t think they ever intend to keep these things a total secret because the logistics of thousands of people showing up to an act they don’t know is a fucking nightmare, especially with such huge rumours floating about. Disappointed people wanting to leave - thousands more trying to pour in. Just a shitshow. And they know how eagle eyed Glastonbury people can be so this definitely feels like a bit of a ‘let’s just get this one out there and act like it was a fuck up ‘cause they currently think it’s fucking Green Day’ kind of deal. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Supersnooper said:

So I’ve been told Jack White is on Williams Green on Thursday by a couple of reliable sources

Also convinced from the EE App ad that Eminem and Aerosmith will be making an appearance from the ‘Lose Yourself’  and ‘Don’t Miss a Thing’ clues. 

Is this wishful thinking? or can someone back/ add to this theory

- saw a couple of comments about a Mr M Mathers booking into Babington House + then there was the Super Bowl with Kendrick?

- Also read it was Aerosmiths 50th anniversary as a band and they’ve just wished Paul McCartney a Happy Birthday on twitter.

Ugh. Nope. Nope and nope. 

9 minutes ago, Supersnooper said:

So I’ve been told Jack White is on Williams Green on Thursday by a couple of reliable sources

Also convinced from the EE App ad that Eminem and Aerosmith will be making an appearance from the ‘Lose Yourself’  and ‘Don’t Miss a Thing’ clues. 

- saw a couple of comments about a Mr M Mathers booking into Babington House + then there was the Super Bowl with Kendrick?

- Also read it was Aerosmiths 50th anniversary as a band and they’ve just wished Paul McCartney a Happy Birthday on twitter.

Surely not, that would be mental.

8 minutes ago, Supersnooper said:

Williams Green seems to be Bastille going off here.

Stephen Tyler is in rehab, all dates cancelled (and they'd already binned off Glastonbury for a Vegas residency)

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup, I don’t think they ever intend to keep these things a total secret because the logistics of thousands of people showing up to an act they don’t know is a fucking nightmare, especially with such huge rumours floating about. Disappointed people wanting to leave - thousands more trying to pour in. Just a shitshow. And they know how eagle eyed Glastonbury people can be so this definitely feels like a bit of a ‘let’s just get this one out there and act like it was a fuck up ‘cause they currently think it’s fucking Green Day’ kind of deal. 

I wonder if I hadn’t spotted it if any of us would have been any the wiser?!

12 minutes ago, Supersnooper said:

Jack White in WG? Are you sure? I've had several tips that agree with each other that disagree with that.

20 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Just say you don't like hip hop it would be 10x less embarrassing than claiming Kendrick is "the other guy with the superstars" 🤣🤣🤣

I like bits of hip-hop but Kendrick does not transcend his genre, from my perspective.

Looking at that Superbowl show, Dre, Eminem and Snoop are all bigger than their genre... Kendrick is arguably the biggest superstar in rap/hip-hop circles at the moment.

Does he make waves outside of the genre (and music enthusiasts, which a large chunk of this forum is) and towards the general population? I know it's cliché, but he certainly doesn't pass the "My mum's heard of him test."

I'm not saying he's a poor booking, from the standpoint of "contemporary performing arts" but for people to say he's the festival's best booking in years just baffles me. He's not even the best headline booking this year.

Billie Eilish has broken so many records that you'd struggle to name them. How is Kendrick genuinely a bigger get than Billie, aside from the fact that he seems to be exclusive?

1 hour ago, downtherabbithole said:

god, I remember the first glasto I went to when Beyonce, U2 and Coldplay headlined. Then the next one had the Rolling Stones and Arctic Monkeys. Nowadays people like Billie Eilish and George Ezra headline. It's a tragic state of affairs.

6k3osw.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think somebody would’ve picked up on it, although it certainly could’ve flown under the cracks given she’s not exactly a prominent, known or followed member of the Glastonbury team. Thank god you did see it though as I was really starting to believe it was Green Day there.

With all the ridiculously wild suggestions being thrown around (Eminem, Rhianna, etc) got me thinking... when has someone 'big' ever actually gone out of their way to make the trip to the farm to guest on a song?

Obviously we've had friends of the festival (looking at you Chris!) and acts already playing, turn up for other sets (eg: The Boss with Gaslight Anthem) but from memory, i cant think of a big surprise act thats popped up as a guest.

And cue the wave of instances to prove me wrong...

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I like bits of hip-hop but Kendrick does not transcend his genre, from my perspective.

Looking at that Superbowl show, Dre, Eminem and Snoop are all bigger than their genre... Kendrick is arguably the biggest superstar in rap/hip-hop circles at the moment.

Does he make waves outside of the genre (and music enthusiasts, which a large chunk of this forum is) and towards the general population? I know it's cliché, but he certainly doesn't pass the "My mum's heard of him test."

I'm not saying he's a poor booking, from the standpoint of "contemporary performing arts" but for people to say he's the festival's best booking in years just baffles me. He's not even the best headline booking this year.

Billie Eilish has broken so many records that you'd struggle to name them. How is Kendrick genuinely a bigger get than Billie, aside from the fact that he seems to be exclusive?

Would Snoop Dogg headline Glastonbury?

Just now, FloorFiller said:

I think somebody would’ve picked up on it, although it certainly could’ve flown under the cracks given she’s not exactly a prominent, known or followed member of the Glastonbury team. Thank god you did see it though as I was really starting to believe it was Green Day there.

I do really think you're right and they decided to filter the news out softly to avoid a huge Green Day turn-up and disappointment.

They probably thought they'd done a good thing with Ezra and suddenly realised everyone was going to be let down with it!

1 minute ago, mttJ said:

I do really think you're right and they decided to filter the news out softly to avoid a huge Green Day turn-up and disappointment.

They probably thought they'd done a good thing with Ezra and suddenly realised everyone was going to be let down with it!

Tbf Ezra will be an immensely popular secret set for a lot of people - just not those who tend to regularly nerd out on festival/music forums. More one for the daisy chain wearers and possibly their mums. 

2 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

No is the answer to that. Not only is Kendrick massively popular, but he's so critically acclaimed it's ridiculous. He's the Radiohead of the rap genre basically. And he's at his peak. I saw in another thread people think he's set won't be busy. I'm going with a group of 20 (all around 30 years old) and he's the only act that everyone universally agrees they are going to see

https://www.metacritic.com/person/kendrick-lamar

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think, if there’s any kind of conspiracy here, it’s that they asked her to post it knowing it’d get out there and therefor lower/remove any ‘Arctic Monkeys/Green Day/The actual Beatles’ silly rumours floating about and so stop tons of people turning up and being disappointed when Ezra shows up. Just nip it in the bud now before the Green Day thing gains any more momentum. 

Yeah, I don’t think we need to get too deep with this. A huge crowd expecting GD could be as much of a problem as the band actually playing being known in advance. 

But I don’t believe that post was an accident. Whatever the truth of the matter I think we’re being fed something they want us to believe. 

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Tbf Ezra will be an immensely popular secret set for a lot of people - just not those who tend to regularly nerd out on festival/music forums. More one for the daisy chain wearers and possibly their mums. 

its getting a bit muted response on twitter from what I can see, its more than this forum bubble

1 minute ago, downtherabbithole said:

No is the answer to that. Not only is Kendrick massively popular, but he's so critically acclaimed it's ridiculous. He's the Radiohead of the rap genre basically. And he's at his peak. I saw in another thread people think he's set won't be busy. I'm going with a group of 20 (all around 30 years old) and he's the only act that everyone universally agrees they are going to see

https://www.metacritic.com/person/kendrick-lamar

I agree. I think comparisons to Eminem and particularly Snoop are so wildly off the mark as to be irrelevant. Music is different now - you can be the biggest name in your genre and not be someone "my mum's heard of".

That doesn't diminish the strength of the booking, which I think is perfect.

15 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I was curious - did you spot it on their account or elsewhere on social media?

Either way, it’s easy for them to monitor the usual groups and then remove it once it has gained traction. 

7 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Could he? Maybe. He's got a fair amount of hits. Would he? Probably not, purely because it's not what the festival is about.

Would Bad Bunny headline Glastonbury? Probably not. Is Bad Bunny one of the most popular artists on planet earth right now? Massively.

I'm not debating whether or not Kendrick should be headlining the festival, but more the validity to the claim that he's the festival's biggest get for ages.