Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

Jack White is a funny one. If they billed it as the White Stripes, it would be up there with the biggest secret sets ever. 

JW will play plenty of the WS hits in his set and I actually believe his solo material is superior to his stuff with Meg. I'll be one of the highlights of the weekend for me (if true)

28 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I personally find this take so weird. The only reason that Kendrick is a big booking is because he hardly plays anywhere else.

From my perspective, him being a headliner this year is the Superbowl all over again. He's the "oh who's that other guy with the superstars?" name on the lineup

ummmm....

ok 🤣🤣

47 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Please don’t be one of those people, Id much prefer to see Arctic Monkeys and The Stones (who are both touring in summer) over Billie Eilish and George Ezra, but change is natural and inevitable, embrace it and move on

Besides, Billie Eilish's records are far more sonically adventurous than the Arctic Monkeys IMHO.

46 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Nope, apart from Adele and Radiohead, glasto haven't pulled out a top of the drawer headliner for a while now. But I guess they've had everyone now (apart from Fleetwood Mac). Not a Taylor Swift fan but obviously she would have been a much better headliner than Billie. Most people just know her Bad Guy song and the James Bond one. I mean, Stormzy headlining too? He's an other headliner at best. Anyway, going off course here. The undercard is very strong at least

We've got the only living songwriter from The Beatles. Arguably the most important member of the biggest band of all time.  Don't cherry pick.

7 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Can't wait, I've been so on edge about not being able to go to the London shows following the festival. It'll be the 23rd time I've seen him across all his bands, still as excited about it as the first time I saw The White Stripes at Glastonbury in 2005!

I’m the same re. missing his London shows and was considering trying to get to a show in Europe but price and other July plans are making that tricky. I’ve never managed to see him live before, really hoping this info is solid. Will hugely improve my otherwise average looking Sunday 

1 hour ago, downtherabbithole said:

god, I remember the first glasto I went to when Beyonce, U2 and Coldplay headlined. Then the next one had the Rolling Stones and Arctic Monkeys. Nowadays people like Billie Eilish and George Ezra headline. It's a tragic state of affairs.

Dude this is just called you getting older and being less in tune with the current popular music. There are people a generation ahead of you who think the same about the artists you listed as good, as you do about Ezra and Eilish. Tragic state of affairs? Get real! There’s enough to satisfy everyone elsewhere

note - I can’t stand George Ezra either  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We've got the only living songwriter from The Beatles. Arguably the most important member of the biggest band of all time.  Don't cherry pick.

I mean all well and true, but he's done it before. And as great as the beatles were/are, he's in his eighties now and his voice has gone. I hope the crowd have their lungs ready, that's all ill say

Edited by downtherabbithole

4 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I mean all well and true, but he's done it before

6 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Dude this is just called you getting older and being less in tune with the current popular music. There are people a generation ahead of you who think the same about the artists you listed as good, as you do about Ezra and Eilish. Tragic state of affairs? Get real! There’s enough to satisfy everyone elsewhere

note - I can’t stand George Ezra either  

Not true. The casual music listener probably knows 3x as many songs from Beyonce/U2/Coldplay than Eilish and Ezra. I'd be willing to put money on it. Anyway, gone off track here from the thread topic. If it's George Ezra at John Peel then let's hope its someone decent at park (arcade fire, arctic monkeys, the war on drugs, the smile... please)

Edited by downtherabbithole

3 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Not true. The casual music listener probably knows 3x as many songs from Beyonce/U2/Coldplay than Eilish and Ezra. I'd be willing to put money on it. Anyway, gone off track here from the thread topic. If it's George Ezra at John Peel then let's hope its someone decent at park (arcade fire, arctic monkeys, the war on drugs, the smile... please)

Park is Jack White 

58 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I personally find this take so weird. The only reason that Kendrick is a big booking is because he hardly plays anywhere else.

From my perspective, him being a headliner this year is the Superbowl all over again. He's the "oh who's that other guy with the superstars?" name on the lineup

Just say you don't like hip hop it would be 10x less embarrassing than claiming Kendrick is "the other guy with the superstars" 🤣🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I also think you’re not really accounting for how music and music listening has evolved in recent years. When aforementioned acts were popular, there was far less avenues for the casual listener to hear music - mainly just standard radio stations, no streaming, no internet, no Spotify playlists etc etc - so virtually everyone was being pumped with the same shit over and over unless you were a real ‘head’. Now people have much more diverse music tastes across the board, as music is much easier accessed. And I reckon if you ask people below the age of 30 (I’m 28), most them would be able to name more Eilish, Styles, Ezra, Sheeran, Stormzy songs than U2 or Coldplay.  

Think you’re being harsh simply because you don’t like these acts tbh (I don’t either!) 

Edited by leath02

48 minutes ago, Isaact said:

I wouldn't wish U2 and Coldplay on my worst enemy.

You are just out of touch, he is literally the biggest hip hop artist on the planet, at the peak of his career.

I know who he is, have enjoyed hip hop since the 90s and I'm probably not going to watch him... Not really a fan of his songs.

However, part of me is tempted to go and give him a try live. 

57 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I dunno man, as soon as he dropped his latest singles they were number 1 on trending on youtube. He's basically known as the greatest rapper of all time whilst in the middle of his career. IMO it's the best headliner slot they've had in a while considering it's the only festival he's doing this year and his latest album came out last month. TPAB is probably the most critically acclaimed album of the 21st century too

Really? I have never heard that before... And it would surprise me a lot if it was the case. Can you show my a ranking list / poll where he tops the list as I can't find any.

Can find plenty where he sits lower than the likes of Nas, Eminem, Andre and even biggy though.... Kendrick is no Nas!

https://ledgernote.com/blog/interesting/best-rappers-of-all-time/

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-greatest-rappers-of-all-time

https://www.billboard.com/photos/the-10-best-rappers-of-all-time-6723017/2-9-kendrick-lamar/

https://hip-hop-music.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_rappers_considered_the_best

http://www.soulinstereo.com/2021/09/50-greatest-rappers-of-all-time-courtesy-of-the-soul-in-stereo-cypher.html

https://www.hiphophopscotch.co.uk/post/top-25-rappers-of-all-time

Edited by Alvoram

The festival has definitely branched out in the past 10-15 years in terms of who they’ll approach to headline. You could link that to Emily’s rise in influence, but at the same time it’s arguably made the festival even more culturally significant. 

To some that’s great, to others it’s not. 

Not to mention, rock/indie music hasn’t been mainstream for most of the past 15 years, so from a popularity sense, the festival has booked most of the obvious headliners - barring Fleetwood Mac - I’d say. Look at Reading and Leeds, with each passing year they announce their headliners and we all can’t believe how they’ve picked someone who “wouldn’t headline the Other” stage.  

Edited by Matt87

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah looks like she’s taken that down from her story now - I’m sure she’s had a little bit of a bollocking for that if it wasn’t a pre-planned thing, although it really doesn’t matter either way in the scheme of things. 

You know, if I were a festival organiser and wanted to keep something secret I’d be putting disinformation out there. I mean, it’s not as if they don’t know about all the social media accounts dedicated to discussing the festival and they dead easy to monitor. And contribute to. 

Getting to warm with the guesswork? Throw a red herring out there. 

I find it a little cosy that someone specifically creates an artwork to tell us a secret ( that they had to know was a secret) and posts it to their public work account thinking it was going to stay secret. And then removes it a hour after being ‘leaked’. 

What do I know? Maybe it seemed like creating the artwork and posting it was a fun thing to do, without any consideration of the consequences. But it’s something I’d do if I wanted to create confusion and mislead.

6 minutes ago, musky said:

You know, if I were a festival organiser and wanted to keep something secret I’d be putting disinformation out there. I mean, it’s not as if they don’t know about all the social media accounts dedicated to discussing the festival and they dead easy to monitor. And contribute to. 

I find it a little cosy that someone specifically creates an artwork to tell us a secret ( that they had to know was a secret) and posts it to their public work account thinking it was going to stay secret. And then removes it a hour after being ‘leaked’. 

What do I know? Maybe it seemed like creating the artwork and posting it was a fun thing to do, without any consideration of the consequences. But it’s something I’d do if I wanted to create confusion and mislead.

Pure, black tar, Afghan, copium. Injected directly into your veins. 

4 minutes ago, musky said:

I think, if there’s any kind of conspiracy here, it’s that they asked her to post it knowing it’d get out there and therefor lower/remove any ‘Arctic Monkeys/Green Day/The actual Beatles’ silly rumours floating about and so stop tons of people turning up and being disappointed when Ezra shows up. Just nip it in the bud now before the Green Day thing gains any more momentum. 

9 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

The festival has definitely branched out in the past 10-15 years in terms of who they’ll approach to headline. You could link that to Emily’s rise in influence, but at the same time it’s arguably made the festival even more culturally significant. 

To some that’s great, to others it’s not. 

Not to mention, rock/indie music hasn’t been mainstream for most of the past 15 years, so from a popularity sense, the festival has booked most of the obvious headliners - barring Fleetwood Mac - I’d say. Look at Reading and Leeds, with each passing year they announce their headliners and we all can’t believe how they’ve picked someone who “wouldn’t headline the Other” stage.  

So you think Dave, Artic Monkeys, Bring me the Horizon, Rage against the machine and looking at last year's Reading line up Stormzy, Liam Gallacher, Biffy Clyro etc couldnt headline the Other stage??

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

I think, if there’s any kind of conspiracy here, it’s that they asked her to post it knowing it’d get out there and therefor lower/remove any ‘Arctic Monkeys/Green Day/The actual Beatles’ silly rumours floating about and so stop tons of people turning up and being disappointed when Ezra shows up. Just nip it in the bud now before the Green Day thing gains any more momentum. 

I was thinking this myself. The sign writer would need to be pretty naive to think posting something like that wouldn't be jumped on.

So I’ve been told Jack White is on Williams Green on Thursday by a couple of reliable sources

Also convinced from the EE App ad that Eminem and Aerosmith will be making an appearance from the ‘Lose Yourself’  and ‘Don’t Miss a Thing’ clues. 

Is this wishful thinking? or can someone back/ add to this theory

- saw a couple of comments about a Mr M Mathers booking into Babington House + then there was the Super Bowl with Kendrick?

- Also read it was Aerosmiths 50th anniversary as a band and they’ve just wished Paul McCartney a Happy Birthday on twitter.