Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

10 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

god, I remember the first glasto I went to when Beyonce, U2 and Coldplay headlined. Then the next one had the Rolling Stones and Arctic Monkeys. Nowadays people like Billie Eilish and George Ezra headline. It's a tragic state of affairs.

Please don’t be one of those people, Id much prefer to see Arctic Monkeys and The Stones (who are both touring in summer) over Billie Eilish and George Ezra, but change is natural and inevitable, embrace it and move on

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I hate Ezra. If its that gobshite instead of Green day then there's gonna be riots.

It was never, ever likely to be Green Day. The only people who thought that was even possible were the ones who found the tiniest straw to grasp on to in order to convince themselves.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Please don’t be one of those people, Id much prefer to see Arctic Monkeys and The Stones (who are both touring in summer) over Billie Eilish and George Ezra, but change is natural and inevitable, embrace it and move on

Nope, apart from Adele and Radiohead, glasto haven't pulled out a top of the drawer headliner for a while now. But I guess they've had everyone now (apart from Fleetwood Mac). Not a Taylor Swift fan but obviously she would have been a much better headliner than Billie. Most people just know her Bad Guy song and the James Bond one. I mean, Stormzy headlining too? He's an other headliner at best. Anyway, going off course here. The undercard is very strong at least

Edited by downtherabbithole

what a dramatic day of news... Yesterday I was having a pint in the sun, imagining we may be seeing a Green Day / LCD / 1975 / Anderson Paak / Arcade Fire secret set, and seeing several early forecasts predicting near perfect weather across the weekend

Now it looks like it's pishing it down Fri-Sun and we've got Bastille and George Erza doing the secret shows. I shouldn't have logged on today!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Nope, apart from Adele and Radiohead, glasto haven't pulled out a top of the drawer headliner for a while now. But I guess they've had everyone now (apart from fleetwood mac).

IMO Kendrick Lamar is a stellar headline booking and every festival in the UK would be tripping over themselves to have him this year

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, HamishA. said:

IMO Kendrick Lamar is a stellar headline booking and every festival in the UK would be tripping over themselves to have him this year

Yeah for sure, best booking of the entire festival. Best artist in the world at his peak, a month after his latest album came out. It has Radiohead 1997 vibes

Edited by downtherabbithole

6 minutes ago, HamishA. said:

I personally find this take so weird. The only reason that Kendrick is a big booking is because he hardly plays anywhere else.

From my perspective, him being a headliner this year is the Superbowl all over again. He's the "oh who's that other guy with the superstars?" name on the lineup

31 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Got to say that this is probably the most boring bunch of secret sets I could imagine. I feel like none of them create a buzz at all.

Go watch his set last time.  It’ll be a massive set for loads  and great for tv too 

1 minute ago, sisco said:

Go watch his set last time.  It’ll be a massive set for loads  and great for tv too 

Whose set? Ezra's? I was there and I think he works as a 'sunshine' set but him being a special guest in a tent is just... eh

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I personally find this take so weird. The only reason that Kendrick is a big booking is because he hardly plays anywhere else.

From my perspective, him being a headliner this year is the Superbowl all over again. He's the "oh who's that other guy with the superstars?" name on the lineup

I dunno man, as soon as he dropped his latest singles they were number 1 on trending on youtube. He's basically known as the greatest rapper of all time whilst in the middle of his career. IMO it's the best headliner slot they've had in a while considering it's the only festival he's doing this year and his latest album came out last month. TPAB is probably the most critically acclaimed album of the 21st century too

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

I dunno man, as soon as he dropped his latest singles they were number 1 on trending on youtube. He's basically known as the greatest rapper of all time whilst in the middle of his career. IMO it's the best headliner slot they've had in a while considering it's the only festival he's doing this year and his latest album came out last month. TPAB is probably the most critically acclaimed album of the 21st century too

If you like Rap then it's an amazing booking, if you hate Rap is a terrible booking but that's the beauty of Glastonbury there's something for everyone 👏👏👏

40 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

god, I remember the first glasto I went to when Beyonce, U2 and Coldplay headlined. Then the next one had the Rolling Stones and Arctic Monkeys. Nowadays people like Billie Eilish and George Ezra headline. It's a tragic state of affairs.

I wouldn't wish U2 and Coldplay on my worst enemy.

14 minutes ago, K2SO said:

You are just out of touch, he is literally the biggest hip hop artist on the planet, at the peak of his career.

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

I'm having a real blank moment here, who were the major 2019 surprise acts?

That Killers 2017 one is always gonna take some topping, it was such a moment

Foals on the park on Saturday evening I think

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Elbow, Foals, and Vampire Weekend.

Cheers.

There have been some belters in my time there. Killers as mentioned, Pulp/Radiohead one's but that really was stupid up there with the crowd - I ended up 'watching' one (Radiohead maybe) from up on the hill. Libertines was very special for me, even though word got out as per.

These seem quite dull this time but it's personal opinion, as ever. I don't know what they do to mix it up really, difficult 

Just now, mufcok said:

Cheers.

There have been some belters in my time there. Killers as mentioned, Pulp/Radiohead one's but that really was stupid up there with the crowd - I ended up 'watching' one (Radiohead maybe) from up on the hill. Libertines was very special for me, even though word got out as per.

These seem quite dull this time but it's personal opinion, as ever. I don't know what they do to mix it up really, difficult 

It all relies on them having major acts who actually want to do these tiny secret sets, really, so more often than not it’s gonna come down to these friends of the festival types rather than massive headliners with little to no association with the festival, which is why they’re starting to look a bit stale as there are only so many acts who become those friends of the festival types. Jack White obviously loves the place which is cool, but it’ll mostly just be your average British Glastonbury act with a new album out but they subbed the Pyramid on the last album and so they can only do a secret set this time.