Secret sets 2022

FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Meh I dunno. The mass Ezra hate seems very localised to this forum in my experience. The guy is massive and I’d wager most people turning up thinking maybe Green Day would still be happy with Ezra, and know most of the hits.

If we’re being honest here, they’ve bagged a headline level act for lunch slot in John Peel. That’s absolutely massive, and it shows the benefits of supporting these young acts and helping them break through. Not many other festivals could pull this type of move off. The atmosphere will be electric in there and it’ll be one of the highlights of the weekend as far as the mainstream reception goes.

Green Day was a total fantasy, but this isn’t far off in terms of massive act in a ridiculously undersized venue.

I know I don't have recent form for judging the size of acts, but headliner? Really? Neither particularly critically acclaimed, nor in the billion club on Spotify, which you can't say for any of this year's headliners.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I know I don't have recent form for judging the size of acts, but headliner? Really? Neither particularly critically acclaimed, nor in the billion club on Spotify, which you can't say for any of this year's headliners.

He’s a sub at best aye, despite how much some on here will fight to the contrary

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He headlined IOW 2019 to be fair, can be a level down from the bigger festivals but still a headline level act for sure. Wouldn't be at Glastonbury but neither would quite a few who'd comfortably headline elsewhere.

Edited by mttJ

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think he's headlined other festivals? He's a very very strong sub imo and will have difficulty breaking to the top of Glasto, nailed on other headliner next year

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Three number one albums, subbed last time and is only more popular now. Yep, I’d say he’s right there. And honestly, this feels like a Killers in 2017 > headlining 2019 deal.

Id stick the mortgage on him headlining next year with this news.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Three number one albums, subbed last time and is only more popular now. Yep, I’d say he’s right there. And honestly, this feels like a Killers in 2017 > headlining 2019 deal.

Id stick the mortgage on him headlining next year with this news.

To me this feels far more like them not really having a place for him and so have given him a secret set. I think he’ll return to sub in the next few years (maybe after the next album), but no way is this new album his gateway to headlining - it may have reached #1 but I anticipate it’ll drop off fast. 

There’s some massive Ezra blinkers on here. I’d probably start making peace with him headlining now or else it could be a rough time when he’s announced down the line.

The hate is a bit weird. Fair enough if you don’t like his tunes, but he’s a really nice bloke and he’s great with his fans. Not sure he deserves such vitriol if you just think his music is dull.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mttJ said:

He headlined IOW 2019 to be fair, can be a level down from the bigger festivals but still a headline level act for sure. Wouldn't be at Glastonbury but neither would quite a few who'd comfortably headline elsewhere.

I could headline the IOW

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

To me this feels far more like them not really having a place for him and so have given him a secret set. I think he’ll return to sub in the next few years (maybe after the next album), but no way is this new album his gateway to headlining - it may have reached #1 but I anticipate it’ll drop off fast. 

When dojacat dropped out they could have him sub rather than Fender?

He's got a big arena tour, and Finsbury Park to sell out so maybe why he's not announced

Edited by august1

1 hour ago, august1 said:

no way this was a planned thing btw, the person probably thought it would be safely hidden in their stories

You think that creating a sign that they’d never normally use, photographing it and posting to your Glastonbury work related Insta account, where you’re followed by a bunch of strangers, isn’t a planned thing?

It’s planned, the real question is if it’s true. What better way of reducing the pressure of a mega act at the JP than by suggesting an act of such monumental tedium that nobody would willingly subject themselves to it?

Edited by musky

Mumford and Sons headlined in 2013 and I wasn't happy about it but I have faith in absolutely everything Glastonbury do... If they want to book Ezra, they can go ahead and I'll make my peace and have a great time elsewhere, same as I did in '13

7 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

god, I remember the first glasto I went to when Beyonce, U2 and Coldplay headlined. Then the next one had the Rolling Stones and Arctic Monkeys. Nowadays people like Billie Eilish and George Ezra headline. It's a tragic state of affairs.

Mumford and Sons headlined the same year as Rolling Stones and Arctic Monkeys - let’s not brush over that and act like it was all great. 

12 minutes ago, musky said:

You think that creating a sign that they’d never normally use, photographing it and posting to your Glastonbury work related Insta account, where you’re followed by a bunch of strangers, isn’t a planned thing?

It’s planned, the real question is if it’s true. What better way of reducing the pressure of a mega act at the JP than by suggesting an act of such monumental tedium that nobody would willingly subject themselves to it?

I think you’re being facetious but gonna point out thatd be disrespectful to Ezra so not likely to be a swerve.